General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

stindows
level2
level2

Portable Induction Cooktops 2019

Postby stindows » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:38 am

Hi All,
Starting a new thread in the hope that someone might be able top advise...

Has anyone found a portable single induction hotplate with reasonable temperature control that can go low enough to not burn the cr*p out of everything? I've tried a Breville and the Ambiano/Aldi ones and they are pretty useless – you simply can't get the heat low enough. Would be great if it also accommodated a 26cm pan (many of them are too small).

Be good if it didn't require a pilots licence to operate it as well. Happy to pay a couple of hundred to get a good one if necessary (I do a lot of cooking).

Please don't suggest a new big kitchen cooktop – I'm in a rental with an old electric coil cooktop which looks at least 30 years old, chews electricity like theres no tomorrow and takes forever to heat up and no, it will not be replaced in my lifetime. Most of the coils have developed a lean which isn't particularly safe...

Any suggestions please? TIA. :)
whoreversible
level0

Re: Portable Induction Cooktops 2019

Postby whoreversible » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 am

Has anyone found a portable single induction hotplate with reasonable temperature control that can go low enough to not burn the cr*p out of everything? I've tried a Breville and the Ambiano/Aldi ones and they are pretty useless – you simply can't get the heat low enough. Would be great if it also accommodated a 26cm pan (many of them are too small).

The Xiaomi DCL01CM Mijia Precise Control Induction Cooker seems to be the best out there.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/385845

99 levels of power and also a temperature probe that sticks out and contacts the pot accurately measuring the temperature so it can do proper low temperature cooking.

See this video with subtitles https://youtu.be/81G2nfiwe6U

I want one but haven't committed yet. Need to buy off gearbest. Chinese controls which apparently can be partially changed to English via the Xiaomi app apparently.

People rave about it in the other portable induction cooker thread.
roomftrhaver
level1
level1

Postby roomftrhaver » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 am

That's a bugger that some don't go low enough, as that's one of the best things about induction. It's responsive and fast like gas, but, unlike gas you can turn them way low.

I got an Ikea benchtop induction thing and this was the nicest discovery. Ikea have plug-in induction hotplates, but I don't know if they also go low.
presserffg
level1
level1

Postby presserffg » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:40 am

I have a Phillips from Hardly Normal.

It has a number of auto programs but in manual it can go as low as 100W, which I've rarely found enough, most often using the next setting.

Some have a temperature sensitive option, keep something at say 80°C, however little that takes.

Pulsing is really only an issue in cheap lightweight pans, a more substantial base smooths the heat out.
graduateduser
level2
level2

Postby graduateduser » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:40 am

Well i must have a faulty one mine works great and temperature control is good , simmer ok

the kmart one i have isn't faulty. i've tried various brands of cheap induction cookers and they all have this same problem. they're fine for simmering soup or something similar, but they are frustrating if you want fine control over temperature when cooking small quantities (eg. making a small omelet).

food like a stirfry or steak are difficult too because the cooker will pulse between on (which is way too hot – causing things to burn) and off (where food goes back to boiling in its juices rather than searing).
whoreversible
level0

Postby whoreversible » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 am

presserffg wrote:I have a Phillips from Hardly Normal.

It has a number of auto programs but in manual it can go as low as 100W, which I've rarely found enough, most often using the next setting. Some have a temperature sensitive option, keep something at say 80°C, however little that takes. Pulsing is really only an issue in cheap lightweight pans, a more substantial base smooths the heat out.

Me also and found on Saute the best low-temperature setting, although I never did bother to read the instructions properly. With me, it's always only enough to get past go :-) More details here Portable Induction Cooktop
stindows
level2
level2

Postby stindows » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 am

Quick update – I've just had a live chat with the people at Gearbest – and the plug will be an Australian one – they handle that according to the country of destination (They were terrific to deal with BTW). So I'm going to take the plunge and buy the Xiaomi DCL01CM Precise Control Induction Cooker – and hope it solves my rental cooking woes. Thanks very much for your help everyone – much appreciated. I'll post again once I've used it for a bit.

Return to “General”