Snowboard training and the stigma surrounding it?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

stindows
level2
level2

Snowboard training and the stigma surrounding it?

Postby stindows » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:33 am

Hi
I am a snowboard coach and for the last decade, I have been working on bringing some of the tools and training methods used with pros to everyday riders. While growing up in snowboarding and then even more as a coach I run into a lot of people that act out against the idea of training on a snowboard. So this thread is to get to the bottom of this.

From my angle, you can learn so much and on a quicker and safer timeline if you train.

My question for everyone is if you are interested in or against training and why?

To make somethings clear before anyone rips me a new one, I own coaching business. Yes, this is market research for me.

Now you may rip me a new one
graduateduser
level1
level1

Re: Snowboard training and the stigma surrounding it?

Postby graduateduser » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:34 am

stindows wrote:Hi
I am a snowboard coach and for the last decade, I have been working on bringing some of the tools and training methods used with pros to everyday riders. While growing up in snowboarding and then even more as a coach I run into a lot of people that act out against the idea of training on a snowboard. So this thread is to get to the bottom of this.

From my angle, you can learn so much and on a quicker and safer timeline if you train.

My question for everyone is if you are interested in or against training and why?

To make somethings clear before anyone rips me a new one, I own coaching business. Yes, this is market research for me.

Now you may rip me a new one

Stigma? You think there's a stigma in training? Really?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but training in your method is going to the be the equivilant of going to the gym basically. And going to the gym isn't hated because of stigma, it's hated because people don't like taking time out of their day to work out. Now you need to find someone who both wants to work out and wants to snowboard and is willing to dedicate their workout time specifically to snowboard exercises. There's no stigma, there's just a small group of people willing to maintain a solid exercise routine and dedicate it to snowboarding.

Lots of highschool kids love basketball, but outside the dedicated intense players most of them would rather play pickup at the local court than shoot free throws or lift weights. And snowboarding is a FAR smaller market than basketball players. It's pretty simple.
stindows
level2
level2

Postby stindows » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 am

graduateduser wrote:
stindows wrote:
Stigma? You think there's a stigma in training? Really?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but training in your method is going to the be the equivilant of going to the gym basically. And going to the gym isn't hated because of stigma, it's hated because people don't like taking time out of their day to work out. Now you need to find someone who both wants to work out and wants to snowboard and is willing to dedicate their workout time specifically to snowboard exercises. There's no stigma, there's just a small group of people willing to maintain a solid exercise routine and dedicate it to snowboarding.

Lots of highschool kids love basketball, but outside the dedicated intense players most of them would rather play pickup at the local court than shoot free throws or lift weights. And snowboarding is a FAR smaller market than basketball players. It's pretty simple.

This I understand. But I am actually talking about training with trampolines, airbags, jib blocks, and practice boards. As well as training on the mountain towards actual tricks and performance techniques. What I mean by the stigma is the riders who literally bash people training on the mountain because they believe it is the downfall of the sport.

That being said I hate working out in a gym even if it makes me a better snowboarder
rockwellcreaky
level1
level1

Postby rockwellcreaky » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 am

It hinders creativity and style. It brainwashes impressionable kids to think that is the only way, and that they are better than everyone else because of it. It's a machine to create elitist asshats with parents who want to live their dream of olympic glory through their kids, and buys lotsa overpriced standard snowboards, which again funds the development of fun for the rest of us.
roomftrhaver
level1
level1

Postby roomftrhaver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 am

Hey,
I noticed that you are based in Brooklyn. I would love to check up your place.
Where you at? and what type of training are you talking?
I would love to train on Mt or Off Mt just to be good at it, and personally, I go to the gym regularly.
I am fairly confident to say that doing squat and other low body exercise definitely help you ride better and safer.
stindows
level2
level2

Postby stindows » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:37 am

rockwellcreaky wrote:It hinders creativity and style. It brainwashes impressionable kids to think that is the only way, and that they are better than everyone else because of it. It's a machine to create elitist asshats with parents who want to live their dream of Olympic glory through their kids and buys lots overpriced standard snowboards, which again funds the development of fun for the rest of us.

Ok, I understand this, But I go out of my way to tell people there is no wrong way to snowboard if you're having fun. Olympics is a pipe dream that very few competitive snowboarders will ever reach. I coach all riders with goals of being better not goals of glory.

This is what I'm trying to figure out. How do we open the doors of training to everyone that wants to progress not just the rich parents and their kids?
stindows
level2
level2

Postby stindows » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:37 am

roomftrhaver wrote:Hey,
I noticed that you are based in Brooklyn. I would love to check up your place.
Where you at? and what type of training are you talking?
I would love to train on Mt or Off Mt just to be good at it, and personally, I go to the gym regularly.
I am fairly confident to say that doing squat and other low body exercise definitely help you ride better and safer.

Having a facility of our own is the next big step for us. But we currently run a class in Gowanus and travel to any resort within 5 hours of the city. PM me for more info. Im trying to keep the plugs to a minimum here.
roomftrhaver
level1
level1

Postby roomftrhaver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 am

I understand what you meant, well maybe not airbags, I don't think theres many people in the world who are passing up a chance to hit a bag if it's free. My point is Jib blocks, practice boards, any time not on the mountain is the equivalent of lifting weighs or running to train for basketball. Same with on mountain training short of actually trying tricks and jumps and riding. Most people just want to snowboard, training simply isn't fun in most any activity sport, mental challange, etc.

As for actual bashing people who do, I don't think anybody gets bashed for on mountain training if it's actually riding. Mainly because, well riding is practice. If you're referring to people who bash hiring a personal trainer and such, well two things. A: It's the same as the stigma for anyone with a personal trainer unless you're a pro it's a little posh. B: Why be on a jib block or a tramp to be better at snowboarding when you could literally BE snowboarding and getting better? Whats more important doing a fun leisure activity less but being better at it, or just doing the leisure activity as much as possible.

I'm not gonna go train to go bowling, im gnna just go bowling. People judge guys who practice their fly fish casting in their yard, kind of the same thing
stindows
level2
level2

Postby stindows » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:40 am

roomftrhaver wrote:I understand what you meant, well maybe not airbags, I don't think there are many people in the world who are passing up a chance to hit a bag if it's free. My point is Jib blocks, practice boards, any time not on the mountain is the equivalent of lifting weights or running to train for basketball. Same with on-mountain training short of actually trying tricks and jumps and riding. Most people just want to snowboard, training simply isn't fun in most any activity sport, mental challenge, etc.

As for actual bashing people who do, I don't think anybody gets bashed for on-mountain training if it's actually riding. Mainly because, well riding is practice. If you're referring to people who bash hiring a personal trainer and such, well two things. A: It's the same as the stigma for anyone with a personal trainer unless you're a pro it's a little posh. B: Why be on a jib block or a tramp to be better at snowboarding when you could literally BE snowboarding and getting better? What's more important doing a fun leisure activity less but being better at it, or just doing the leisure activity as much as possible.

I'm not gonna go train to go bowling, I'm gonna just go bowling. People judge guys who practice their fly fish casting in their yard, kind of the same thing

This all makes sense. But my training here in the city is for people who can't get to the mountain every day and want to make sure the time they do spend on the mountain is better. Also, how do we remove the idea of training with a private coach as posh? It's just protecting the rest of your investment into the sport.

... and your gonna have to try a jib block or jumping on a tramp with a practice board before you think it's not fun. Maybe it's just me but I love doing a method on the snow or the tramp!
presserffg
level1
level1

Postby presserffg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:20 pm

If you want to go snowboarding on this winter with friends! Then visit tellurideadventures.com There you can choice different kinds of snowboarding adventure package with different prices.

Return to “General”