Violence - part 2

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

ynbniar
level5
level5

Violence - part 2

Postby ynbniar » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:33 am

Following on from the row over Sony’s use of a Cathedral as a location for a gunfight in one of its video games we now have:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/6767623.stm

Now I haven’t played either Manhunt or Manhunt 2 and I doubt I ever will, but I’ve no doubt the new version will be held up by politicians and others as clear evidence of how morally bereft the games industry is.

It seems as long as game characters are killing terrorists (e.g. Clancy games) or criminals (e.g. HitMan) they are OK, no matter how violent and graphic the killing sequences are.

I would not be surprised if DefCon is dragged into the mix, particularly with its surprisingly low +7years classification. (Is it the same in the US?).
I say surprising not for game content but the potential for “colourful” chat.

DefCon, unlike Ace Rimmer’s “holo-fleet” :wink: , is an easy target – I hope it slips under our politician’s radar.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:39 am

It really makes me sad that games still get this bad rap. Sad... OR ANGRY?!?! NOW I MUST GO ON A KILLING RAMPAGE, FIRST CAREFULLY RESEARCHING METHODS USED IN MY FAVOURITE VIDEO GAME!!!!

In slightly related news:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 14,00.html
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Splatterer
level1
level1

Postby Splatterer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:37 pm

There is some truth to their claims.

For example, I played DEFCON last night and just this morning I launched 60 ICBMs at Africa.

So you see, it does happen sometimes.
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Its all the computers fault, not the parents of course. :roll:
thindigital
level1
level1

Postby thindigital » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:02 pm

for a horrifyingly large amount of kids the PC or TV is their parents
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:11 pm

books might be a better choice. If only I knew the way to make them read instead of peering at the screens ruining eyes and health in the process.
NMO
Masaq
level2
level2

Postby Masaq » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Indeed. My children shall be raised upon only the finest of violent literature, works such as Clockwork Orange, American Psycho, and the book-of-the-film, Bambi.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:34 pm

torq wrote:books might be a better choice. If only I knew the way to make them read instead of peering at the screens ruining eyes and health in the process.
What, and books aren't violent? Books by Dick Francis, Tom Clancy, Frederick Forsyth, Michael Crichton?

Books may be mildly better for health, but they're not any better on the violence front. Edit: bah, beaten to it :P

I can't say I'm too fussed about the banning of games like Manhunt 2 though, as far as I can tell they pretty much are entirely controversial violence asking to be banned anyway. So long as real games don't get banned, I don't yet care.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:40 pm

:Stands upon soapbox:

What bothers me is when people flip out over children getting mature themed video games. Saying that laws must be passed to protect children from these games is just another way of saying that those children have lazy parents who are too stupid to raise a child. It is not the job of governmetn, school, church, or and other institution to raise a child except for that of parents. With the advent of the internet, a parent can find out what the content of a game is within minutes, any claim that they "had no idea" is complete nonsense.

A parent would not (hopefully at least) buy their child a bunch of fireworks, then turn them loose on the neighborhood to do what they will. Exposing a child to unresticted and unregulated games is just as foolish. Parents should research the games, then actually take the time to play with their children. As for adults, is manhunt really any worse then your average rated R (in America) movie? Is it somehow worse then, say, the 300? Sure, in the game you activly participate in the violence, but is participating in violence any more morally wrong then going purely to be entertained by it (the whole who is worse, the gladiator or the spectator arguement)?

But alas, I preach to the choir.

:Stands down from soap box:
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:59 pm

MrBunsy wrote:
torq wrote:books might be a better choice. If only I knew the way to make them read instead of peering at the screens ruining eyes and health in the process.
What, and books aren't violent? Books by Dick Francis, Tom Clancy, Frederick Forsyth, Michael Crichton?

Nope, I was talking about books by Noel Langley, Mark Twain, JRRT, etc, and later William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Oscar Wilde, Harper Lee, Kurt Vonnegut you see -there are pretty much good books to read.

There IS some violence in those books, but they say at least that violence and war are bad and put in the right accents.
NMO
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:21 pm

"And the story was on Holocaust how, er, you know, they all got wiped out and, er, put in gas ovens and stuff like that. And I was very influenced by that 'cause, er, Michael Moriaty was very good as that, er, Nazi.
And, as soon as I switched off the third episode I, er, got on, er, got on a number 18 and got up to Golders Green and I must have-, I must have slaughtered about eighteen thousand before I realised, you know, what I was doing."
"Mmm."
"I thought, 'the fucking television has driven me to this'."
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:14 pm

torq wrote:
MrBunsy wrote:

Nope, I was talking about books by Noel Langley, Mark Twain, JRRT, etc, and later William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Oscar Wilde, Harper Lee, Kurt Vonnegut you see -there are pretty much good books to read.

There IS some violence in those books, but they say at least that violence and war are bad and put in the right accents.
Don't think I've actually read much by any of them, I just chose a bunch of authors I like, that are pretty popular and certainly contain as much violence as a lot of telly. I was thinking along the lines that there's at least an equal amount of violence in books as anything else.

Return to “General”