Fluffwinia - a quick question...

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

How much would you *really* pay for a finished, adorable fluffwinian?

£5 (8 USD) - 42p per hour (70c per hour)
No votes
£10 (17 USD) - £1.85 per hour ($3.00 per hour)
35%
£15 (25 USD) - £3.30 per hour ($5.40 per hour)
15%
£20 (33 USD) - £4.71 per hour ($7.80 per hour)
15%
£25 (41 USD) - £6.15 per hour ($10.00 per hour)
No votes
Fluffwinians are so yesteryear, move on already!
10%
I saw your poll, but didn't want to actually vote.
25%

Total votes: 20
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Fluffwinia - a quick question...

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:00 am

Fluffwinians:

I still have a lot of fluff.

I still have a lot of stuffing.

I still have a lot of squeakers.

Kits didn't really work. I'd guess maybe about half the kits never got completed, which made me sad.

I would still make fluffwinians, but, to be honest, I need to feel like I'm actually getting something for my time (this to be honest is one of the main reasons I end up quitting). Don't get me wrong; I hate asking for money and almost always devalue everything I do, but, I've always been told by a few close friends that I should really be charging more for what I'm doing, mainly because of the quality of the items I'm producing and the amount of time I'm spending on them, and that they believe that people would still pay for them.

Hence, poll. The figures are based on about £3.50 for materials/postage, and then additional money is for my time. Fluffwinians take maybe 3 and a half to 4 hours to sew, so if we assume 3.5 hours for hourly rate, we reach the values below... (assuming 1.65 USD:GBP) for reference, I used to charge £10 all told; I never really thought people would want to pay more than £10 for what is basically a soft toy.

£5.73 is current UK minimum wage, and to be honest, this is more than I would expect to make; I would like fluffwinia to be a "bit on the side", something more like a hobby almost. Maybe I just need to "sew faster"? Well, maybe it's an option that I can make some shortcuts and decrease the production time, but, I really don't want the quality to go down, so it could be a bit of an escapade.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what people would really offer, so maybe this will work.

Also;
(Trebuchet not for sale)
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:05 am

But I want a trebuchet.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:04 am

I'd probably expect to pay about £5 if I was buying one from a shop...but then it would have been mass produced by exploited children in Vietnam or something which isn't nice

...hand made by The Goldfish though and I'd pay a tenner.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:52 am

I would probably pay up to 10£ without much thought (seeing them as collector items and all), but could probably stretch up to around 20£.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:55 am

To be honest I'd like buying two or three more kits some day instead of fully completed ones. I was surprised how much I enjoyed making the one I have. :) For a kit I'd probably pay about 5 GBP, a finished one would easily measure up to 10 GBP.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:10 am

jelco wrote:To be honest I'd like buying two or three more kits some day instead of fully completed ones. I was surprised how much I enjoyed making the one I have. :) For a kit I'd probably pay about 5 GBP, a finished one would easily measure up to 10 GBP.

^^ Pretty much that.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Re: Fluffwinia - a quick question...

Postby vanarbulax » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 am

The GoldFish wrote:Kits didn't really work. I'd guess maybe about half the kits never got completed, which made me sad.

I realise that I didn't actually post when I made my fluffwinian (I took me a long time to get around to making it sorry). I'm not sure if you saw this when I posted it before but here's and image of Kibi- (purple) and his bigger brother Peta- (red).

I'm not sure if I properly thanked you after you sent it, even so thank you so much for sending my fluffwinian kit (I love him dear, frayed threads and all).
Last edited by vanarbulax on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:47 pm

I wouldn't buy a finished one, making the fluffwinians from kits is so much more fun ^^
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm more likely to buy a finished one than a kit. I'd keep worrying I'd mess it up. :?

I remember talking to you about buying a kit, but then I didn't. Don't remember why exactly. Maybe it was around the time I was away.

I'd buy one for 15£+shipping. Maybe more than 1 when I'm working again.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:32 pm

I was kind of worried about that, I was making one for a christmas present so I was even working to a deadline! However, actually they're quite easy (although as TGF says, time consuming).
The hardest bit is probably turning it inside out, I was worried I'd rip all the stitches out and have to start again :lol:
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Re: Fluffwinia - a quick question...

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 pm

vanarbulax wrote:
The GoldFish wrote:Kits didn't really work. I'd guess maybe about half the kits never got completed, which made me sad.

I realise that I didn't actually post when I made my fluffwinian (I took me a long time to get around to making it sorry). I'm not sure if you saw this when I posted it before but here's and image of Kibi- (purple) and his bigger brother Peta- (red).

I'm not sure if I properly thanked you after you sent it, even so thank you so much for sending my fluffwinian kit (I love him dear, frayed threads and all).

Terrifying o_o
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!

Return to “Introversion Lounge”