How long do you wait before replacing your computer?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

How long between replacements?

6 months
No votes
1 year
No votes
2 years
11%
3 years
14%
4 years
17%
5 years
14%
6 years
3%
more than 6 years
No votes
when the trout are smashed
28%
I'm still using my Commodore -- get offa my lawn!
3%
nuke w[h]ales
11%

Total votes: 36
xander
level5
level5

How long do you wait before replacing your computer?

Postby xander » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Since Jelco has failed to create a new poll:

As several people have come to the boards looking for advice about getting new computers, I am curious: how long do most of you keep a computer before you replace it?

Personally, I tend to go for several years. The machine that I am using now is a 4 year old PowerBook, which I got to replace a 5 year old G3, which in turn replaced a 13 year old Mac II. The PowerBook is starting to tell its age, and I will probably be getting a newer machine in the next year or two, so I would say that I try to replace my computers every five years or so.

Also, in terms of discussion, I would be curious to know about what kinds of computers you are replacing. If you built it yourself, how often do you upgrade it compared to replace it entirely? Are you using an Apple? Dell? HP? something else? What motivates you to replace an older machine? new games? just got to be on the bleeding edge? the old hardware breaks?

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:43 pm

I build my own and replace about every five years with upgrades along the way. I'll probably build a new one next year depending on finances.

Also, first new poll to get it right (by including smashed trout). Yay xander!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:44 pm

Well I usually wait until it breaks, then depending what broke upgrade then. We seem to be fairly unlucky with power supplies in my house, so it's usually stripping out friend motherboard and processor and replacing them.
Once we start replacing things, however, we do it properly - so we'll get a bleeding edge computer for a while (if you hadn't worked it out, self build obviously) :)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:47 pm

The PC I'm currently using is the first one I ever bought myself. So I'm missing the infinity option. :P

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm only on my second PC too...last one was a 233MHz P2 that did OK...had a Voodoo2 in that played Unreal rather nicely...I think that one died in 1999 or something...then I went back to console for a few years before getting an off the shelf Dell in 05 I think...can see me keeping it until the trout get smashed since I use it mostly for Defcon, photographs and surfing...seem to have gone off games that need bleeding edge...
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:51 pm

About every 2 years or so these days I think. I used to do it every 3 years or so. What usually happens is I see something that needs upgrading then think "well, that could do with a replacement too, and that, and that, and that...."

By the time I decide to upgrade one item it's usually time for to upgrade them all. :)
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:51 pm

I rarely replace anything that is still in working order.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:54 pm

I also only replace it either when it breaks, or it's getting too slow/not running a lot of apps/games. I sometimes upgrade along the way, also for the two previous reasons. My home PC still has the original case(not very easy to open/close) although the insides have been completely replaced by now. It is now on the point of replacement, but I'm considering going with a store-built or a brand, since I need to upgrade all of it except one hard drive and the sound card.

Thus, "when the trout are smashed". :)
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:01 pm

I've only ever owned two computers of my own. A high end (for the time) laptop which I got in 2004, had to replace that because the screen broke and the HD was failing. I didn't have much money to replace it with at the time so I got a fairly cheap PC in 2007, which plays all the games I've wanted to play on it decently. Only thing I'm considering upgrading on it is the HD, think I might add another 500GB or maybe a TB to the 250GB in it at the moment. Don't see myself replacing it for a good few years unless necessary, although I am tempted to get another (cheap) laptop for convenience.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:The PC I'm currently using is the first one I ever bought myself. So I'm missing the infinity option. :P

Jelco

Infinity is more than six. Thus, the infinity option would be the "more than 6 years" option.

xander
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:14 pm

To me it isn't (hopefully, wasn't) a matter of how long I wait, but I long I can. Since I'm not independent from a monetary point of view, I usually only update when my parents allow me too, unfortunately they see computers as a devil machine (although admit that maybe they should learn to use them a bit better) and therefore only update when my nagging has grown too large, or it is indeed necessary (because of smashed trout).

However, though never great, my computers have been unusually resilient. My old laptop survived for 5 years and is still functional apart of a Schroedinger's CD drive and the only time it needed to be fixed was due to a power surge still within the warranty. My P100Mhz also had a long (although not as healthy life), which I estimate on 3-4 years strong.

I did get two new PC's in the last year though: one laptop to replace my old one, and a desktop as a graduation present with good gaming capabilities, upgradable, and also to serve as a "secondary" (at least for the time being) PC so I don't need to carry my freaking huge laptop back and forth so often.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:19 pm

xander wrote:Infinity is more than six.

My maths teacher taught me never to say something like that again. "Infinity isn't a normal number, you can't give it the same properties as one nor can you compare it with one." ;)

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:21 pm

If your math teacher disagrees on Infinity > 6 , then I wouldn't really pay him/her much attention :P
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:23 pm

You misunderstand. The things he says make Infinity + 1 = Infinity hold true. If Infinity was a number like, for example, 6, the outcome couldn't be the same as one of the terms in the sum (unless the other is zero, which is also a special number). ;)

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:36 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:You misunderstand. The things he says make Infinity + 1 = Infinity hold true. If Infinity was a number like, for example, 6, the outcome couldn't be the same as one of the terms in the sum (unless the other is zero, which is also a special number). ;)

Jelco

Infinity is defined such that for any r in R, then infinity > r. Infinity can be seen as an extension of the real numbers, which is useful, in that it allows us to assert that any set of real numbers is bounded above (and below, if we also include negative infinity). While infinity is not a real number, it does have useful properties when dealing with real numbers.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”