If martinmir wasn't IV staff....

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Would we be responding to his posts in the same manner

Poll ended at Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Yes
19%
No
63%
Some other random option involving Cowboy Norris Whales
19%

Total votes: 27
ynbniar
level5
level5

If martinmir wasn't IV staff....

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:39 pm

Would we... :?:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:41 pm

I think we'd probably just ask for more detailed/longer posts since there's so many at one time. However, it's his job and we understand that, and we understand that he'll grow into it, and on us. :wink:

Edit: You have forgotten the new poll option requirement of "trout are smashed/smash zhe trout"... :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:53 pm

Hehehe what a proper question :) I think he woud've get smashed for topics like Windows vs Mac in case he wasn't IV staff :roll:
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:43 pm

I voted "trout are smashed"
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:it's his job and we understand that, and we understand that he'll grow into it, and on us.

I have to agree with this sentence. Although it's still too soon to know whether he's doing a good job or not, the questions usually appear so random that if it was anyone else we would probably ignore him or ask him to stop spamming (no offense, of course).

As a side note, we're also used to IV being always rather quiet, so this comes rather as a shock :roll:
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:17 pm

Well, to be fair we would flame away any regular character asking similar questions in a similar manner, but we all know that he is trying his best and we appreciate any attempt from IV to get closer with the community. I know at least I myself learned how these forums work in time and eventually he will, like most of us probably, get used to our way of doing things. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Xocrates wrote:As a side note, we're also used to IV being always rather quiet, so this comes rather as a shock :roll:

That's exactly what I was thinking...change can be disorientating...(who moved my cheese btw :wink: )

I just wondered if there was more to martinmir's questions than meets the eye...perhaps some metagame experiment ...though I'm probably reading too much into it... :)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:51 pm

I just found the next book on my reading list. Thanks! :D
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I just found the next book on my reading list. Thanks! :D

That one didn't do much for me, as most self help books. "I Moved Your Cheese" was an entertaining read afterwards, though.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Phelanpt wrote:

That one didn't do much for me, as most self help books. "I Moved Your Cheese" was an entertaining read afterwards, though.

Well, I only skimmed the Wikipedia article linked above, and it looks like an interesting read. When you say, it didn't do much for me, what do you mean? (got more detail?)
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Well apparently it didn't really move his cheese. :D

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 pm

I wouldn't react differently. I'm ignoring the silly question topics, leaving them to those who enjoy them :)
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:

Well, I only skimmed the Wikipedia article linked above, and it looks like an interesting read. When you say, it didn't do much for me, what do you mean? (got more detail?)

The Wikipedia article summarizes it well, from what I read. The book is not very long, and most of the story seems to be there.

My biggest problem with the book is that it seemed too patronizing. I've never been fond of self help books because they tend to do that. It envelops an advice, or series of advice relating to change in a tale about mice and men, and how one of the men reacts differently than the other.

The reason I liked "I moved your cheese" better is that it is not only a parody of the first, but also a parody of self help books, and, in the midst of that manages to give some practical advice.

I've read both books a long time ago, so I can't really give more detail than this. But read both, you might get a very different opinion than I did. I could probably change my opinion on a second read as well, though I don't find that likely.

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Well apparently it didn't really move his cheese. :D

Jelco
+1 Internets to you, good sir! :D
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:38 pm

Phelanpt, are you trying to kill me?

Anyway, I think that because we know Martin is actually IV staff, we know him to be 'good' - as opposed to a random spammer. That being said, I think some of the topics are random/humorous/great/smashed trout - meaning, I like the discussions he starts, but I can only follow so many at a time - a few less ongoing threads, please? :D
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Ah, thanks ynbniar. You're asking the question I didn't dare to ask because I feared I would be regarded a troll then.
It would probably be a no, I'm beginning to hate the random 'polls' in the Lounge already.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”