Do you want Xocrates to be replaced as the TWG GM?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Yes! The guy very obviously doesn't know what he's doing
15%
No! Give him another chance
85%

Total votes: 20
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu May 15, 2008 12:33 pm

It has become pretty obvious that alot of folk doesn't like the way I'm running the game, so I'm putting the option of changing GM at your hands.

I have no problem in giving away my position and no problem in staying. I just want you guys to enjoy the game.

So speak up!
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu May 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I have no problem whatsoever.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Thu May 15, 2008 1:41 pm

I don't have a problem myself, but I can see why some people do. I think you should stay as the GM, partly because it was you who started it and handing it over to someone else would perhaps make matters kinda odd.
...Plus, I think you just have to be a bit more thoughful about some things, that is: not interferring with the game, and providing warnings before you end the day in case it is not 'one-sided' (it was really an obvious move from Jelco to vote for me in order to attempt saving himself - I mean who wouldn't attempt that?). Even just a 15-minute warning, in case you're pressed for time yourself, could have prevented what happened just earlier (or similar situations).
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Thu May 15, 2008 1:42 pm

I vote that people should lighten up :)

/me proudly shows off scars received and incurred while hosting the ladder...!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu May 15, 2008 1:59 pm

I think you're doing fine. NeoThermic was pushing the limits of fair play yesterday, and interfering was OK.
And with the low participation in voting today, the day just had to end sometime before everyone had voted. Announcing precisely when the day will end only gives opportunistic natures the chance to vote at the very last moment so nobody else can react.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu May 15, 2008 2:31 pm

I see no nuke whales option.
Or Cowboy Neal.

This funny message brought to you by the commity of "Lighen Up It's Only a Game".
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 15, 2008 2:58 pm

Stay. :wink: Also, the only problem I have with this TWG is you let them kill me on the first night. There's gotta be a rule somewhere against that...

Either way, you can't please everybody all the time.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu May 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Stay. You must finish the game you started (rule #7 of being a GM), even if a few people don't like your GMing. Just keep the advice for any future times you're GMing and you'll be fine :)

NeoThermic
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu May 15, 2008 3:13 pm

Ok, time for me to reply to this. I've been away for a while because I still had a lesson after I posted that last thing.

First, my apologies for the harshness of the post(s). They were obviously influenced by the fact that I had been killed had an end-day warning not been issued, and at that moment really pissed me off. Now, about two hours later, I think I was overreacting a bit, but my main point stays. (EDIT: Apparently it's been four hours already. Time flies.)

The reason I'm 'overly' serious about this is because it's really bugging me that this game turned out this way. This setup is amazing, and has worked out incredibly good so far. The cyphers add a new dimension to the thing, the DA makes sure that even if the wolves are in contact with each other they're still paranoid, and overall the participation to this game has been tremendous. If this is let down by the fact that the host makes a few small mistakes it is really sad.

I do not think that you have 'no idea what you're doing', as you put it in the poll option. However, interfering with a running game as an (all-knowing) host is terrible, and could easily be avoided. Forgetting about everything else, even the length of the days, that is really annoying.

However, never letting days run the specified 24 hours WITHOUT a warning as to when the day does end is also of a great importance here and shouldn't go unnoticed.

Don't end the game on your own, finish it, but as NeoThermic said, keep the advice for a future game. I'm really looking forward to another game with this setting and if you are able to do that without making the mistakes stated above it will undoubtedly be a blast to play. :wink:

Jelco
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu May 15, 2008 3:35 pm

As far as I can tell, you're hardly doing it wrong. Keep going!
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:53 pm

Who voted yes? :P
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 15, 2008 3:56 pm

walrus47 wrote::shock: Why did Xocrates vote "yes"?

Fix'd. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu May 15, 2008 3:58 pm

One guess.. :P

(actually, it was probably someone who's not even involved, like Montyphy to pick a random name out of a random hat. ;))
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu May 15, 2008 3:59 pm

MWAHAHAHA!
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu May 15, 2008 4:52 pm

I appreciate everyone's support, and will continue hosting the game as initially intended.

Like NeoThermic correctly said in Midnight Radio this is my first time GMing, and admitedly I might have gone a bit over ambitious :P. I've learned some important lessons and will do my best to do better next time.

Just a little note:

jelco the galactaboy wrote:However, never letting days run the specified 24 hours WITHOUT a warning as to when the day does end is also of a great importance here and shouldn't go unnoticed.

I think you're overreacting a bit here. More often than not, I'm unavailable to give a "1 hour warning", but considering that I usually give a "24 hour warning" I don't really see the difference (although admitedly, I forgot to say that for Day 4 :P). Other than that Day 1 went normally, Day 2 was cut short simply because there was no reason to keep it going (and was a good opportunity to roleplay), Day 3 was cut short slightly at several players request, and Day 4 ended late because I was busy (and considering the type of work I do, it's nearly impossible for me to know when I'm going to be busy and when I'm not), additionally, and considering there hadn't been a post in about an hour, our posts coinciding was just a case of really bad luck.

So, I think the length of the days was one of the few things I was actually justified in doing. (That's my analysis at least)

By the way, I bought Supreme Commander to celebrate my graduation, so hopefully you can count with me interfering less in the next few days :wink:

Return to “Introversion Lounge”