Food. Ah Food.

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Which Area Can Claim Best Cuisine in the World?

Asia
34%
Northern Europe
9%
Eastern Europe
3%
Southern Europe
11%
Western Europe
14%
Caribbean
No votes
Latin America
3%
Middle East
No votes
North America
9%
Africa
No votes
Australia
3%
Fast Food/Cowboy Neal/Chuck Norris Nuke Wales ~ whales/other
14%

Total votes: 35
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Food. Ah Food.

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:52 pm

So, from the list above, please select the "region" that contains the best food in the world. We have several travelers amongst us, so this should be interesting. I think. Either way, jelco didn't take the hint, or if he did was too lazy/busy/indifferent to put this one together. Thus, you're stuck with my low quality version of the Weekly Poll. :P

For clarification:
  • Eastern European: Belarusian, Bulgarian, Czech, Hungarian, Jewish, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Ukrainian
  • Northern European: British (English, Scottish, Welsh, Anglo-Indian, Modern British), Nordic (Danish, Finnish, Icelandic, Lappish, Norwegian, Swedish), Irish, Latvian, Lithuanian
  • Southern European: Albanian, Bosnian, Croatian, Cypriot, Gibraltarian, Greek, Italian, Slav Macedonian, Turkish, Montenegrin, Portuguese, Serbian, Spanish
  • Western European: Austrian, Belgian, Dutch, German, French, Luxembourgian, Swiss

For the record, I took the "regions" straight from wiki. Also, obviously I went with North American. You just can't beat some good heart attack inducing southern U.S. food. :P
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:57 pm

Australia?? That'll require a sub-categorisation ...

a) Vegemite
b) Beetroot in burgers
c) Witchetty grubs
d) Other (non-lethal) bush tucker (please specify)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:02 pm

I suggest you place a few typical examples of the foods of each of the mentioned region. Otherwise most people will probably end up voting for the place they live in regardless. :P

EDIT: Handy link!

You know, I've come to the conclusion that portuguese food looks a lot worst than what it tastes like.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:11 pm

Xocrates wrote:I suggest you place a few typical examples of the foods of each of the mentioned region. Otherwise most people will probably end up voting for the place they live in regardless. :P

EDIT: Handy link!

You know, I've come to the conclusion that Portuguese food looks a lot worst than what it tastes like.

That could be interpreted as work.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:That could be interpreted as work.

Work is for suckers.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:53 pm

Who would vote for the USA?! ;)

I reckon Asian food is for the win. You can't beat it. (Any area of Asia; they're all pretty good. :P)
jelco
level5
level5

Re: Food. Ah Food.

Postby jelco » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:09 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Either way, jelco didn't take the hint, or if he did was too lazy/busy/indifferent to put this one together.

Combination of all of those in fact, if you can count gaming and watching anime as being busy. :P

Asian food FTW!

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:19 pm

It depends upon what I am in the mood for. I love to cook, and I love to eat, and I am always up for something new. Recently, a new Indian place opened up on Reno which isn't half bad. We also have pretty good sushi here (thought it is much better in the Bay), decent Chinese and Thai, a pretty good pho place, and another good Vietnamese place, as well as several good Mexican restaurants -- we even have a decent French place and a decent Italian place. I lived in Russia for a time, and really enjoyed the basic meat-and-potatoes (with good bread) approach, and there was a great Bosnian place in Waterloo, Iowa (where I used to live). Ethiopian good (Blue Nile in Berkeley is really good), Peruvian is good (there was a little place in San Francisco that was good, but I don't remember the name of it), and Cuban is good (mmm... fried plantain...). Then, of course, there are the strange foods that we can get around here from the butcher -- such as kangaroo (a bit gamey, but a bit like beef, as well), rattlesnake (tastes like chicken), venison and elk (mmmm...), buffalo (far raised!), ostrich and ostrich eggs (one egg will make an omelet large enough for at least 8), &c. I'm not sure that it is possible to decide which is the best, though admittedly, I find Asian the easiest to cook.

xander
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:42 pm

xander wrote:It depends upon what I am in the mood for. I love to cook, and I love to eat, and I am always up for something new.

Seconded. Although I don't cook very often, I do like cooking something special instead of the standard Dutch combination of potatoes, vegetables and meat.

xander wrote:I lived in Russia for a time, and really enjoyed the basic meat-and-potatoes (with good bread) approach

Hehe. See above.

xander wrote:I'm not sure that it is possible to decide which is the best, though admittedly, I find Asian the easiest to cook.

Really? I always get the idea that the Asian cuisine is very much about presentation, the looks of it, which would in fact take more time to prepare well. That might just be the Japanese cuisine though, which I'm rather obsessed with.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Asia wins for spicyness - particularly Thai.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Hey Ace, I just took a closer look at your poll options. I think you could've merged the North America and Fast Food options. :P

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:56 pm

Is here, among gourmets discussing Asian cuisine and such kind of things, a place to say that I totaly love fried potatoes with meat? :roll:

EDIT: Oh I see there is :D
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Nordic, at least dessertwise:
Exhibit A
Exhibit B

That's it for now.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:15 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Really? I always get the idea that the Asian cuisine is very much about presentation, the looks of it, which would in fact take more time to prepare well. That might just be the Japanese cuisine though, which I'm rather obsessed with.

Jelco

I think that you are thinking about high cuisine. I prefer peasant food. Presentation is less important than (a) getting the vitals that you needs and (b) making it taste good. There are times when I worry about presentation (my burgers, for instance, are always perfectly plated), but most of the time, I just want food that tastes good. Much of Asian food is chopping up a bunch of vegetables, and throwing them into a hot skillet or wok with some peanut or sesame oil, then serving the whole thing over rice with some kind of sauce. Easy-peasy. ;)

Also: Щи да каша, пиша наша! (rus|Mike, please feel free to correct my grammar or spelling)

xander
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:26 pm

xander wrote:rus|Mike, please feel free to correct my grammar or spelling

Haha no problem :) although I definatelly do see sacrasm :wink:
Here you are:
Щи да каша- пища наша!

Return to “Introversion Lounge”