Nationalism

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Do Nationalistic Revolutions Concern You

Yes
69%
No
8%
Don't care.
15%
Other (Please Explain)
8%

Total votes: 13
Feud
level5
level5

Nationalism

Postby Feud » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:09 am

This article caught my eye today, and since I was vacationing for the long weekend the declaration of independence came as a surprise to me.

I figured that since the IV forum has a pretty good mix of nationalities for it's size that I would open the question up to debate, does nationalistic movements such as this one concern you?

Nationalism, meant to be the great uniter, has instead become in the time since the end of the cold war the great divider as each group and people try to carve out their own niche in the world. With World War I being sparked by nationalistic movements, and numerous examples in the 90's and more recent years of the bloodshed that can erupt when nations balkanize, I find myself in a bit of a pickle.

On one hand, living in a country that came about through revolution, I feel myself rooting for the little guy and cheering their independent spirit, but at the same time glad that otehr nations didn't recognize the Confederacy when they tried to leave, even after several years of autonomous rule. What do you all think?

{ Thought I'd help you with that BBCode there Feud -- NeoThermic }
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Re: Nationalism

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:18 am

Feud wrote:On one hand, living in a country that came about through revolution, I feel myself rooting for the little guy and cheering their independent spirit, but at the same time glad that otehr nations didn't recognize the Confederacy when they tried to leave, even after several years of autonomous rule. What do you all think?

While the US did break away from the UK it would be hard to characterize it as a product of Nationalism.

The nationalist movements in places like Kosovo concern me for two main reasons. The first is the inherent us versus them mentality. Often nationalism leads to ethnic or religious persecution. Second, many of these nations are too small to be stable economically. I think the US system of states works fairly nicely as a compromise. The Union is big enough to have economic and political success on the world stage but each state has a fair degree of latitude in defining its own culture and domestic policies. I think major problem with Nationalism is that it generally doesn't allow this sort of compromise between practicality and idealism (national autonomy).
Feud
level5
level5

Re: Nationalism

Postby Feud » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:22 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:While the US did break away from the UK it would be hard to characterize it as a product of Nationalism.

Indeed, I meant it only to show my personal conflicts on the matter of groups declaring independence.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:23 pm

Yea, I think it concerns me. It all's very sad :( large and welthy country which actually did prosper (Yugoslavia)-at least for some time- is breaking apart more and more. And it surely doesn't bring any good. Such intentions were understandable in the times of colonies: nobody wants to be a slave, but an intention to be separate from your Mother country is completelly beyond me.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:03 pm

As someone that considers Nationalism (or indeed, any form of patriotism) downright silly, a country declaring independence with nothing more to sustain it than pride, is both dangerous and extremely dumb.

I don't really expect a happy ending to this story.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:12 pm

Hear hear. Nationalism is for wankers :P Uniting on the basis of common ideals, sure, but common location? The latter often goes hand-in-hand with the former, as is the case with the American Revolution, but the more 'Nationalism' becomes its own end, the more it's pointlessly divisive. Which is to say, I don't consider Nationalism 'the great uniter', it's merely the banner that often flies over unity.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Well coming from a country that did eventually get independence after nearly 1000 years it is something that the Irish would go "Yay" on, at least on the surface. But when you look closer into what is happening in Kosovo is not that good of an idea overall. Only time will tell if it was a good move or not.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Rkiver wrote:Well coming from a country that did eventually get independence after nearly 1000 years it is something that the Irish would go "Yay" on, at least on the surface. But when you look closer into what is happening in Kosovo is not that good of an idea overall. Only time will tell if it was a good move or not.

Ireland is an interesting example. It declared independence from the UK, but it was only really after it joined the EU that it was able to prosper.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:24 pm

As others have said, I think it is silly to be prideful of the place in which you were born. It is yet another way that people have of creating artificial divisions between each other and causing strife.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”