IV on Xfire Indie Games Event

The forum with all your Introversion News!
vic
level2
level2

IV on Xfire Indie Games Event

Postby vic » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Hello all,

Last week, Mark took part in an Indie Games Debate hosted by Xfire. True to form, Mark talks openly and candidly about the state of indie gaming today, alongside other indie veterans. You can catch the transcript of their discussion here.

All thoughts/comments welcome!
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:44 pm

Very interesting! :)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:15 pm

I knew about this, but missed it at the time :(. It's great though!

Question: Sir: Do you think that the future for indie games (also) lies with Linux?

[Introversion] Mark M: Answer: Sadly not. We have tried to put our games out for Linux, but know one buys them and the number of distributions that we need to support really makes it unfeasible. You going to yell at me now?

Does this imply that future titles won't recieve a Linux port?
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:34 pm

The darn site won't work.
It's probably Verizon, they've already ****ed up our internet connection for the past 6 months or so.
We really need a new ISP thats available in our county.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:01 am

estel wrote:
Question: Sir: Do you think that the future for indie games (also) lies with Linux?

[Introversion] Mark M: Answer: Sadly not. We have tried to put our games out for Linux, but know one buys them and the number of distributions that we need to support really makes it unfeasible. You going to yell at me now?

"but know one buys them"? No offense intended but may I ask who did the transcription?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:13 am

estel wrote:I knew about this, but missed it at the time :(. It's great though!

No-one buys them? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration... I know I for one run DEFCON in Linux, so that entire statement is now rubbish.

(i.e. PLEASE PORT FUTURE GAMES, TUX LOVES IV TOO)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:20 am

Pox wrote:

No-one buys them? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration... I know I for one run DEFCON in Linux, so that entire statement is now rubbish.

While the statement was a bit of hyperbole, how many people do you think are running on Linux, compared to Windows?

xander
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:33 am

xander wrote:
Pox wrote:

While the statement was a bit of hyperbole, how many people do you think are running on Linux, compared to Windows?

xander

More importantly, how many people are silly enough to take that part of the statement literally? (current estimates suggest at least one)
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:52 am

Montyphy wrote:
xander wrote:
Pox wrote:

xander

More importantly, how many people are silly enough to take that part of the statement literally? (current estimates suggest at least one)

Obviously I was having a bit of fun taking him literally, but the fact is I think there are a small proportion of IV's customers for whom the fact their games run on Linux is a big buying point. However, it is probably less than 5%, and it may not be financially viable if porting takes too long - but if their future games consider to run on SDL/openGL, and they write easily portable code, the cost would surely be worth thwarting Microsoft a little bit.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:13 am

The only conclusion I'd draw from that statement is that IV can't rely on Linux alone, i.e. the future of indie games doesn't "lie with Linux".
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:16 am

KingAl wrote:The only conclusion I'd draw from that statement is that IV can't rely on Linux alone, i.e. the future of indie games doesn't "lie with Linux".

Sounds about right. I mean let's think for a moment. Most PCs run a form of Windows on it, mostly XP. So making games for Windows first and foremost makes simple sense. Now if they have time and want to include a linux port, they can, but they concentrate on Windows first. Same reason mac ports are left till later too I'd wager.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:37 am

Rkiver wrote:
KingAl wrote:The only conclusion I'd draw from that statement is that IV can't rely on Linux alone, i.e. the future of indie games doesn't "lie with Linux".

Sounds about right. I mean let's think for a moment. Most PCs run a form of Windows on it, mostly XP. So making games for Windows first and foremost makes simple sense. Now if they have time and want to include a linux port, they can, but they concentrate on Windows first. Same reason mac ports are left till later too I'd wager.

Yup, they'd be insane to make anything but Windows first priority - 85% of computer users use Windows, and probably about 95% of gamers.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:14 pm

I think I read somewhere that about 1% of users are believe to be Linux ones.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Of course, what'd make most sense is to make games that can run on all three from the word go.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:24 pm

prophile wrote:Of course, what'd make most sense is to make games that can run on all three from the word go.

No it wouldn't, as that would increase development time quite a bit, and as a result games would not be released on time, sure the Windows and Linux versions may be ready, but the Mac one isn't, so the majority of you have to wait.

Does not make ANY sort of business sense.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “Introversion News”