Board games

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Do you play board games?

Never
No votes
Sometimes
57%
Often
13%
Special occasions only
30%
Puzzles only
No votes
Different, please specify
No votes

Total votes: 30
jelco
level5
level5

Board games

Postby jelco » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:52 pm

Jelco's Weekly Poll

Previous polls

- Operating Systems (revisited)
- Education (revisited)
- Concerts
- Special: Overview
- Mother Tongue
- Education / Occupation
- Religion
- Favourite Holidays
- Gaming Hypes
- Random
- IGF Diary, Pt. 3
- Your age
- Darwinia Birthday Poll
- Your favourite gaming genre
- Your Operating System
- Your favourite genre
- Your Media Player
- Your Webbrowser

Board games, anyone?

Christmas is coming up, and the family is getting together near the fireplace. I don't know about you guys, but it's pretty much a tradition at my home to have a huge puzzle (2000 pieces or more) laid ready, and we all spend any free time we can find to help solve it. We also play loads of board games for a change. How's the situation at your places?

My Post

As a replacement for Christmas, we - as Dutch people, I mean - celebrate St Nicolas, otherwise known as 'Sinterklaas'. The greatest gift I got this year is Eternity II (my parents chose it in an attempt to make me spend less time on the PC). I know how I'm gonna spend my holiday! Otherwise, board games are less and less common in our daily lives.

Jelco
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:58 pm

I'm rather fond of board games, so I sometimes play with some cousins of mine on weekends. Unfortunately the games need to be relatively fast, so there are a bunch stuff I never get the chance to play, but we played on occasion Monopoly, Warcraft the board game, Settlers of Cattan, and Carcassone.

However my brother is usually involved too and the only one he ever wants to play is Carcassone, which I'm getting a bit sick of. He also got several expansions for that one, but we never use the additional rules, just the pieces.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:00 pm

I'm not sure whether chess and checkers are board games but I play them sometimes :)
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm in a gaming society. Sometimes I turn up on the day when people play boardgames, and then find that I don't want to play them again because of the horrendous nature of my dice rolling, meaning I can play almost optimally in Twilight Imperium II and still lose completely, and when I said "I think I have an idea of how to this" in Space Hulk, I immediately found out what's wrong with the plan; the part where I had to unjam the gun during overwatch for the fifth turn in a row and finally actually hit that FUCKING BASTARD Genestealer that actually got down the other end of the corridor.

The more of a luck aspect involved in it, the more petrol I make sure to have next time someone pulls it out.

As for chess and the like, I can't find anyone who'd actually want to play so much.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:16 pm

Only on special occasions. We usually play scrabble at christmas
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:55 pm

I used to play a lot of Necromunda. Loved that game. haven't played it in years :(

Apart from that, I do play the odd boardgame, generally things in a style similar to Reiner Knizia's Lord of the Rings game, which is very awesome.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:46 pm

Whenever my siblings and I get together we always play at least one game of Knights and Cities of Cataan.

Also, our Christmas Eve tradition has become to play Mario Party for several hours, which isn't exactly a board game but is pretty close.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:14 pm

I got Stop Thief from Ebay a while back...one of my friends had it when I was younger...his dad worked on the oil rigs and was able to get US stuff not released in the UK.

I've found that kids absolutely love it...to the extent that my 3 nieces abandoned their Nintendo DS's...fantastic...an electronic board game from the 70s beats Nintendo... :lol:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:31 pm

ynbniar wrote:I got Stop Thief from Ebay a while back...one of my friends had it when I was younger...his dad worked on the oil rigs and was able to get US stuff not released in the UK.

I've found that kids absolutely love it...to the extent that my 3 nieces abandoned their Nintendo DS's...fantastic...an electronic board game from the 70s beats Nintendo... :lol:

I had that game! But my parents either couldn't afford batteries for it (very possible given our situation at the time) or simply didn't buy for whatever reason.
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:40 pm

I'm in college. I can't find space for a board game and I haven't made many friends, so it would be hard to find someone to play. Still, I've played Scrabble with my roommate once or twice.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Speaking of old games. We also play Scotland Yard on occasion. We have it since we were kids and the box is crumbling apart, but it is still fun.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:17 pm

Grandstone wrote:I'm in college. I can't find space for a board game and I haven't made many friends, so it would be hard to find someone to play. Still, I've played Scrabble with my roommate once or twice.

Set up a school club. Borrow a classroom once a week or so, get some cheap punch or something, put an ad up on the school bulletin board, tell people to bring their favorite board game and I'd bet that within a couple weeks you'd have a bunch of people showing up.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:02 pm

Unfortunately, I had to vote "Special Occasions Only". Usually big family get togethers like Thanksgiving or family reunions are the only times there are enough willing participants to get any board games going. While growing up at home, I played Monopoly/Risk every Sunday with my Dad. He always won (at pretty much anything that dealt with numbers), but I loved it, it was a challenge every time to see if I could finally beat him. It wasn't till I moved out that I finally figured out how to beat him in Monopoly and he finally gave me his secret for winning (every single time, no matter the players) in Risk. I credit all those games with my success in Defcon. :)
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:11 pm

I'm currently teaching my wife how to play chess. It's a nice quiet thing to do together.

Edit: Quite, quiet. Meh.
Last edited by Rkiver on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:15 pm

Rkiver wrote:I'm currently teaching my wife how to play chess. It's a nice quite thing to do together.

If only that'd work with mine. :roll: Although, I can't wait for my kids to get old enough to play (with conviction). :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Introversion Lounge”