Concerts

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

How often do you visit concerts?

Never
26%
Once a year
9%
2 - 5 times a year
23%
6 - 10 times a year
16%
Once a month
No votes
Twice a month (or more)
2%
Special occassions
19%
Festivals
5%

Total votes: 43
jelco
level5
level5

Concerts

Postby jelco » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:30 pm

Jelco's Weekly Poll

Previous polls

- Mother Tongue
- Education / Occupation
- Religion
- Favourite Holidays
- Gaming Hypes
- Random
- IGF Diary, Pt. 3
- Your age
- Darwinia Birthday Poll
- Your favourite gaming genre
- Your Operating System
- Your favourite genre
- Your Media Player
- Your Webbrowser

Are you a frequent concert goer?

I'm sorry for the delay of this (no, last) week's poll. It had just escaped me that - after posting the overview - I still needed to post one. The subject has been chosen because it is the reason I couldn't post the poll yesterday evening (when I realized it). Don't worry, this week will have it's own poll.

Yesterday evening was the night of a Sonata Arctica concert. Participants of Lyric Wars have seen this name pass quite a few times, and I've mentioned it on many off-topic occassions as well. The music will probably not be appreciated by the majority of the people around here, so I'll not go on about that part. It did make me realise that this would be a great question to ask the community. So here you are.

Special occassions covers...well, special occasions. Examples are reunion tours, like The Police lately, or charity festivals. The Festivals options means you only visit festivals, like Download. If you also visit regular concerts, pick one of the other options.

My Post

Considering my age I'm probably a way-too-frequent visitor of concerts. A total lineup:

Alan Parsons Live Project (July 7th '06)
Lostprophets (April 27th '07)
Alan Parsons Live Project (Sept 15th '07)
Enter Shikari (Oct 8th '07)
Sonata Arctica (Nov 25th '07)
Within Temptation (Feb 7th '08)
30 Seconds to Mars (Feb 9th '08)

And there is a chance I'll win two tickets for an Apocalyptica concert on December 10th.

Regarding the TimTim affair, I don't want to waste too many words on it. I'm just happy to see that there is no-one else who is seriously opposed to my polls posting, and the series of polls immediately following this event felt like some great moral support, and I want to thank you for this. However, I think you're not interested in any of my feelings, so let's just cut to the chase and get on with this topic. :wink:

Jelco
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:36 pm

/me loves polls.

I voted special occasions. I've only been to a couple of concerts.

Local symphony orchestra once, two Lynard Skynard cause there was nothing else to do, one ZZ Top, one Journey, and a 'festival' type with some country singers I can't remember in Panama City Beach, Fl. All in 29 years. The Journey and festival one were both for my (then future) wife. Thus, special occasion, nothing else fit. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:05 pm

Hm hm... I consider raves some kind of concerts also :) so I vote 5 times a year. I never go to usual concerts though: they're just way too expensive, plus one has to get tickets in advance... no that's not for me :?
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:13 pm

I go quite regularly. Maybe not to see a specific person / group, but just out to see music, once a fortnight, sometimes more, sometimes less. General "there be bands on in the back room of this pub tonight, let's go see if they're any good" type stuff. Also helps that one of my friends is in a (crap) band, so I get to see his (crap) performances at some of these events too. Free / a couple of quid entry is the way, rather than extortionate £20 fees!

Last time I went specifically to an event to see a specific group, it was some time ago. Barring the last Donnington, which would've been April-May or so, it must've been the last time Nine Inch Nails played the UK. Can't for the life of me remember when that was, although it would've been this year (I expect I was quite drunk).

PS
Polls are ace. :wink:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:33 pm

Several times a year, virtually all of which are classical performances (I've only ever been to one rock concert).
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Hmm...

- Donnington/Download/Ozzfest June 2005
- Manchester - Tool and Mastadon November? 2006

My lot so far :roll: but likely to increase, i am only a wee whipper snipper :roll:
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:25 pm

I went to a country concert with my parents when I was a kid. I have no idea who it was. Besides, I don't listen to country.

wwarnick
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:26 pm

wwarnick wrote:I went to a country concert with my parents when I was a kid. I have no idea who it was. Besides, I don't listen to country.

wwarnick

Talk about torture...geez.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:40 pm

Concerts is why I watch TV

-$tanley
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:46 pm

All American Mobster wrote:Concerts is why I watch TV

-$tanley

I didn't quite understand that but you cannot beat live music and a loud audience...the atmosphere alone is worth it :wink: you're paying for the memories.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:57 pm

And TV can't beat things like moshpits! That was a big surprise last night, by the way. The audience stood completely still, all night.

Enter Shikari was awesome in that sense too, by the way. Here's a clip of that concert I went to (wait for the view to clear up, the focus is a bit off during the first half). Yep, I was in there.

EDIT: The most awesome moment of that night is something I just have to share. The guys had just returned from their fake ending (right after Mothership, the song in the other clip). They first did some random raving, and then switched to the song everyone had been waiting for the whole evening: Sorry You're Not A Winner. This song (with an awkward title) features an intro with a heavy guitar sound, making the song sound like there's going to be an explosion of sound any moment. But right before that explosion kicks in, the music is off and there are three claps.

Now imagine this: the moshpit has become so wild that no-one is really standing straight up anymore, all leaning on each other like domino in slow-motion. Suddenly, everyone stops moving, all hands go up, everyone claps a deafening three times and we're right back in the action. It was really. Fuckin'. Awesome.

I discovered a recording of this scene just now. The claps are roughly at 1:00. (There's a girl singing in the background who should really keep her mouth shut as she ruins the entire video, but this is the only video I could find.)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:12 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:And TV can't beat things like moshpits!

Lol, indeed you cannot :wink:

(i was trying to find the Slipknot circle pits from download 2005 but this brought back memories instead...sigh...front row...great night...took me 3 acts to get to the front in time for Black Sabbath, even told my G/F of the time not to bother going in, she'd have been crushed :? )
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:34 pm

If I have enough money by the time the sales start (Feb 16th) I will probably go to Pinkpop upcoming year. It's the biggest festival here in the Netherlands, and usually has an awesome lineup. Here's the lineup of the past edition.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Pinkpops line up looks a bit like the Leeds/Reading festival line up, minus one or two big more names...might be worth a visit some year...a bit tame for my taste but one or two bands stand out :) , has next years line up been announced yet?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:53 pm

Nope, it will be announced February 13th, with the sales starting three days later. It might be a bit 'tame', but it's the biggest rock festival in the Netherlands, if we leave out Dynamo Open Air, of which the last edition was two years ago.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Lounge”