Jelco's Weekly Poll - An overview

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

Jelco's Weekly Poll - An overview

Postby jelco » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:40 pm

Jelco's Weekly Poll Special: An overview

This post is dedicated to all people who have contributed to the series of polls I have been running for a few months now (including a far-too-long hiatus). I have picked the most interesting polls, and have made graphs to get a general idea of the results.

Webbrowsers - Total votes: 64

These results can't be called very surprising. The amount of votes can. This poll was the very first I started, and it certainly helped get the popularity of the others so high. Well, that's my impression. Decide for yourself.

Firefox - 43 votes
Internet Explorer - 7 votes
Opera - 7 votes
Safari - 4 votes
Mozilla - 1 vote
Other - 2 votes

Operating Systems - Total votes: 84

The most popular poll I have done so far, and that seems pretty good considering it was the fourth in the row. This poll might need the background info that Vista had only just been released, and it was partially the reason I used this subject. Not surprisingly, there are many XP users, although Macintosh is a good runner-up.

XP or other NT versions - 44 votes
Mac 10.x - 13 votes
Linux (Other) - 9 votes
Linux (Ubuntu) - 7 votes
Vista - 6 votes
Other - 5 votes

Gaming genres - Total votes: 33

This poll suffered a bit because I didn't use the amount of allowed poll options to its full potential (back when it was still the default 10). I jammed many genres into global categories, and I remember spending an hour on creating the start post containing all the definitions. Nevertheless, I find it quite interesting, especially because RPG is not the type of game IV makes, while it is still high on the list.

Strategy - 15 votes
Combination - 6 votes
RPG - 4 votes
Shooter - 1 vote
Arcade - 1 vote
Simulation - 1 vote
Godgames - 1 vote
Special (Other) - 4 votes

Darwinia levels - Total votes: 27

This 'Darwinia Birthday Poll' was the reason for me to ask NeoThermic to allow more poll options, whereupon he increased the limit to an impossible 16. In fact, I only needed one more, so that I could include Demo 2 on the list. It appears I took the right action, because Demo 2 seems to be a general favourite (although this poll may not show it). Posted on March 4th, exactly two years after the official release of Darwinia. As it happens, it was also my 15th birthday.

Biosphere - 17 votes
Pattern_Buffer - 5 votes
Demo 2 - 3 votes
Mine - 1 vote
Temple - 1 vote

Age - Total votes: 50

An attempt to make use of the possibilities I had gotten with 16 poll options, and a pretty successfull one. I think it is a neat representation of the community here, and it has been a revelation for myself (if not for others as well) to see so many people who have far surpassed puberty still playing games. :wink:

21 - 25 - 18 votes
16 - 20 - 16 votes
11 - 15 - 6 votes
31 - 35 - 4 votes
26 - 30 - 3 votes
36 - 40 - 1 vote
41 - 45 - 1 vote
56 - 60 - 1 vote

Religion - Total votes: 43

The most recent poll still active. It seemed a little tricky to pick such a subject, because leaving out options could turn out to nasty discussions, I thought. It turned out to be a great poll, giving some real insight into the community.

Christianity - 18 votes
Atheist - 12 votes
Agnostic - 7 votes
None - 3 votes
Buddhism - 1 vote
Philosophical - 1 vote
Other - 1 vote

Jelco
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:58 pm

I'm ever-so-tempted to add a "Do you like Jelco's graphs? {Yes, No}" poll to your post.

I like the summing up; I can't wait for you to come up with a decent poll where you'll need me to increase the poll options again ;)

Also, anyone else find it slightly strange how the top two results in Game Type and Religion are strikingly similar? ;)

NeoThermic
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:36 am

Not nearly as much as how the Age and Religion results borderline on two peas in a pod.
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:23 am

Mas Tnega wrote:Not nearly as much as how the Age and Religion results borderline on two peas in a pod.

Good God, you're not joking. I took another look after reading your post.

For the record, I'm in the 16-20 age group, but I'm agnostic.

NeoThermic, could you explain the connection between Christianity and strategy games? I can see why "Combination" would fit atheism, but not how strategy games fit Christianity.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:09 am

And seeing as pirate ships got rarer and global warming took a turn for the worse in the 19th century, pirating prevents climate change! :D
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:51 am

And now for a comprehensive poll:

Biosphere.

wwarnick
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:25 pm

it might be interesting to do a repeat of the OS poll to see how vista has grown more popular?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:36 pm

You're right, that's a nice idea. I will post it alongside a new poll when I've thought of another interesting subject.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:50 pm

I haven't voted in many, myself - except in Webbrowsers and for CowboyNeal when the option has been available :) - but I have enjoyed having something to discuss...
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch

Return to “Introversion Lounge”