Education / Occupation

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What kind of occupation / education do you currently have?

Primary school
7%
Secondary school
21%
University
54%
Accounting / Finance
No votes
Administrative (incl directorial functions etc)
No votes
Artist (painter, writer etc)
No votes
Designer (ie clothes, magazines etc)
No votes
Educator (any level)
No votes
Engineer (and related)
4%
Healthcare
4%
IT
11%
Law
No votes
Scientist / Researcher
No votes
Social
No votes

Total votes: 28
jelco
level5
level5

Education / Occupation

Postby jelco » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:11 pm

Jelco's Weekly Poll

Previous polls

- Religion
- Favourite Holidays
- Gaming Hypes
- Random
- IGF Diary, Pt. 3
- Your age
- Darwinia Birthday Poll
- Your favourite gaming genre
- Your Operating System
- Your favourite genre
- Your Media Player
- Your Webbrowser

What kind of education / occupation do you have?

The question kinda speaks for itself, I think. What level of education are you currently having, or - if you have finished university - what kind of job do you have? This idea came up because of my examination week which finished today (with a surprisingly easy but nonetheless very annoying French test).

I'm actually going to take a little risk here, regarding the different levels of education. Here in Holland, there's several levels (roughly three main streams) of secondary education, and according levels of university (actually, only the highest level of post-high school education is explicitly called 'university' here). As far as my experience with and knowledge of other education systems goes, this is not the case in other countries. Even if this is the case, it's going to take too much time to include all these options, and quite obviously this is not really interesting.

Please be aware that - more than ever before in this poll - the limit of options is an extreme restraint. Therefore, the poll - more than ever before - serves only as a rough impression. I would really appreciate it if everyone who votes gives additional information in his/her post. Especially the students among us could give a great insight in their interests if they mention the name of their study.

It kinda went the wrong way last time, so I'll try to be a little more gentle: Please don't take part in the discussion if your post doesn't contribute.

My Post

Guess.

Jelco

PS: The handful of options was inspired by the registration form of Adobe.com
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:16 pm

I'm currently in my first year of university studying criminology (officialy called criminological sciences but it all means the same)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:19 pm

Well, I'm not exactly sure where I'd fit in those categories. I deal with insurance claims, but only because I test a rules engine designed to process them.

Hmm, interesting (and late :P) poll.!

Edit: After some thought, perhaps IT is the closest. I work in the Application and Product Testing department, but I'm not a real "IT" person.
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:24 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Hmm, interesting (and late :P) poll.!

You know what, try getting through a week full of examinations and working out such a poll in your spare time yourself. :P Believe it or not, those occasional posts during the past week were done in the few minutes (ok periods of half an hour) of spare time I could find. :wink:

EDIT:
Ace Rimmer wrote:I work in the Application Product and Testing department, but I'm not a real "IT" person.

And this is exactly why I'd like people to give additional information. You see? The system works!

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Heh, try working full time with two kids and (reasonably demanding) pregnant wife that's gonna birth any day! :P

Edit: Home birth at that, which means I can't just sit idly by while nurses/doctors do everything. :wink:

Edit2:
jelco the galactaboy wrote:Oh my, how do you even find the time to post here? :D

Anyway, congratulations in advance with the newcomer. :wink:

Jelco

If you want something done, you have to make time. Sorta like trying to read anything (i.e., books) after work hours. Now that's a challenge. And thanks!
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Oh my, how do you even find the time to post here? :D

Anyway, congratulations in advance with the newcomer. :wink:

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:33 pm

Full time university student.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:03 pm

I'm a finalist university student on biologic engineering. The only thing left in order to graduate is to finish an internship where I'm currently holding functions as a sort of Scientist/Researcher.

So that makes me...?
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:52 pm

What do A-levels count as? I've only just applied to Uni (to do an Meng in Electronic Engineering, woot), but I cheerfully left school nearly two years ago :)
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:11 am

Have BSc in Physics. After 9 months of dole, worked in 'engineering' for 2 years, worked my way up from shopfloor lackey to nightshift semi-supervisor in 2 weeks :roll: (mainly because they realised I could do stuff like follow written instructions and shout at people), then moved into engineering / putting plant together when they found I understood how it worked.

Now in year 2 of BEng in Electrical Engineering (full-time again) - skipped the 1st year. It's at the same level as the other degree, at a far, far, far lower level of university, but has actual well-paid employment at the end of it. And so far I've done 75% of it all already.:D

Moral of the story - don't do physics, kids! :P
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:18 am

MikeTheWookiee wrote:
Moral of the story - don't do physics, kids! :P

Physics is kinda like history, unless you want to teach or plan on going to graduate schools there isn't much that you can do with it (beyond tell people you have the degree).
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:23 am

Actually that's a definition I'd give to language studies. There's a shortage of people with 'exact studies' (here in the Netherlands we label them the bèta-studies) at the moment - or so they say, I can't explain it. So you can understand we are constantly told that physics or mathematics would be a good choice.

Who voted Healthcare, by the way?

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:00 am

MikeTheWookiee wrote:Moral of the story - don't do physics, kids! :P

But physics is fun...there are particles flying about out there doing just what takes their fancy...probably...

...if I win the lottery I'm off back to Unito do Astrophysics... :D ...after a jaunt around the world of course... :wink:
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:44 am

Now doing the last year of this.

I can see myself going places with this degree; any number of dole queues.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:02 pm

I might as well post a link of the study I think I'm going to do. Only the page about the masters is in English, the bachelor would probably translate to Computer Science. It's a little early to think about this, but the way it looks right now I'll choose the master Software Engineering.

Jelco

PS: This university is the only one in the Netherlands with a campus. There's one exception, the University College Utrecht, which is an international part of the University of Utrecht (where I'm taking part in a special programme right now).

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Lounge”