Resurrection of Jelco's Weekly Poll - Gaming Hypes

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What gaming hype are you in for?

Halo
15%
PS3
10%
Wii
5%
MMORPG
5%
Handhelds
5%
RTS Redefined
25%
Shooter HQ
5%
64-/128-bit games
5%
Space Invaders
25%

Total votes: 20
jelco
level5
level5

Resurrection of Jelco's Weekly Poll - Gaming Hypes

Postby jelco » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:37 pm

Jelco's Weekly Poll

Previous polls

- Random
- IGF Diary, Pt. 3
- Your age
- Darwinia Birthday Poll
- Your favourite gaming genre
- Your Operating System
- Your favourite genre
- Your Media Player
- Your Webbrowser

I'm back!

Yes, you read it correctly! I'm back, and I definitely intend to keep posting a new one every week from now. I don't know how long it has been since my last poll, and I don't even want to know. So, without further ado, the question: What gaming hype are you part of?

I'm afraid my choice of poll options will cause a bit of controversy, because there's little connection between them. But to hell with all criticism: you wanted a new poll, and here it is. Live with it. :D

Little bit of explanation in some cases:
- MMORPG includes virtual worlds like Second Life
- Handhelds refers to the latest generation: NDS and PSP
- RTS Redefined points at the high-quality range of RTS games that has been coming out lately, including games like Tiberium Wars, Supreme Commander and World in Conflict
- Shooter HQ refers to the latest generation of shooter games, especially the more complex (tactical) FPS games like F.E.A.R., Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, and of course Half-Life, which is especially important to mention due to the Orange thingy coming out a few days ago.
- 64-/128-bit are the two defining generations is game console history, going from the Sony PlayStation to the Xbox. This is not referring to next-gen consoles.
- Space Invaders includes Tetris :P

My Post

I myself don't have much to say for Halo 3 except: it's overrated. As Ace and KingAl will probably know from my own website, I am a huge fan of the upcoming Assassin's Creed, and am sure it will be better. Concerning a real 'hype', I can not put myself in one of these cases, but seeing the games I have bought in the past six months, I will go for RTS redefined, as I have Tiberium Wars, Supreme Commander and World in Conflict. The last one doesn't really fit in with the other two, but still is an amazing strategy game, and great to play. The next option for me would be the Shooter HQ choice (some of you may remember that I am a F.E.A.R. fan).

Now, I want to see at least twenty votes by the time I get back, or there will be no next poll! :D

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deamon
level2
level2

Postby Deamon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:40 pm

Everything PS3 baby.

PC & FPS's are nice too.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:54 pm

Well, it's about time. I was gonna post that I was boycotting any DEFCON42 advancements till the next poll, but that's moot now. :wink:

Anyway, I voted Handhelds since I own a PSP. Although I've only got one game for it which I don't care for. NFS Underground (I think) Have no idea why I bought it (that game). I don't care for RTS's, don't have the money to invest in a PS3/Wii/360/other newfangled console, don't have much interest in shooters, and can only re-play one particular older game for more than a minute. Tecmo Super Bowl, ah the 100 yd passes and 1000 yd rushing games of yesteryear.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:34 pm

Why not "360" instead of Halo? Things like XBLA surely stand up on their own. In fact, they should be a separate entity in their own right - "low-fi gaming". If you'd included that, I'd have voted for it.

I have a Wii, but recently my feelings towards it have been mixed. I stand by it as an amazing and truly groundbreaking piece of kit which has actually changed the way people play games, but, well, there aren't any games. As I have recently purchased Bioshock, played Halo (less thrilled, but online is fun) and am about to purchase The Orange Box I will have to plump for Shooters.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:38 pm

Answer: Nuke W(h)ales.

Halo 3: It's been before, and it's been done better. Why bother playing it? Why's everyone giving 10/10 to this shit? What kind of bribes are Microsoft/Bungee offering to get marks so unbelievably disproportionate to its quality?
Halo 2: See below.
Halo: Oh, an FPS where you carry less weapons than usual.

PS3: Oh wow, exclusivity of crappy game with fling-object-x-at-gong-y puzzles and hit-the-buttons-to-remind-character-to-swing-her-swords-at-the-other-guy action!
Ooh, MGS4. Couldn't care less!
Final Fantasy, that's not a series that should have died a decade ago at all!
What else? Oh wait, NOTHING.

Wii: Made by some guys that have a history of loving to take vast quantities of money from children. The fact you can attach various things to the Wiimote (each sold separately) and likely only use them for one series of games makes something abundantly clear: They live perpetually in their past in this respect.
It's starting to make me want to get in the habit of just owning one controller for each console.

MMORPG: Same old click on creatures X-Y-Z until they're dead and picked clean bullshit.

Handhelds: Got a DS. Nonetheless, see Wii.

RTS Redefined: Not so fond of RTSs. They will always suffer rush syndrome. Someone will come up with a way.

Shooter HQ: Something's different about these?

64-/128-bit games: Pfft.

Space Invaders: PFFT.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:57 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:bile

I mostly agree, apart from the Wii - I don't own any attachments (barring Nunchuks) and still have lots of fun with the games I have.

And shooters - well, I haven't had any hardware which is capable of running a shooter in a very long time. I've been deprived. I didn't make it through the first mission on Halo, it was so poor, but I do enjoy playing it multiplayer (with the annoying people muted), as my housemate and I can do split-screen co-op objectives with our other friends over the internet. Bioshock was very very enjoyable, even if it only took me 4 days. And The Orange Box - well, I'm a sucker for TF2. I will play that until the cows come home.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:RTS Redefined: Not so fond of RTSs. They will always suffer rush syndrome. Someone will come up with a way.

They should implement bullet time into the RTS genre :wink:

Besides that i believe a 1 or 2 RTS's have EMP weapons that freeze vehicles? that's always a good balance.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Of the above: None

I'm strictly a PC guy, and of the game types mentioned the one more likely to get my attention is RTS. However RTS is a pretty solid (and somewhat vast) genre, so the "revolutions" are never very revolutionary although they may be welcome.

The only games I'm currently hyped, but cautious, about are Multiwinia, Subversion, Spore (very cautious about this one), and Starcraft II (which I don't expect to surpass, or reach, the first).
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:20 pm

Xocrates wrote:Of the above: None
Starcraft II (which I don't expect to surpass, or reach, the first).

Maybe not but i must admit its looking very cool :roll: i haven't even gotten halfway through the first starcraft yet :roll:
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:04 pm

I voted Space Invaders because I'm old :wink:

Actually I do enjoy my retro particularly Amiga and ZX Spectrum stuff...

...and there are fewer and fewer new releases coming out that I feel I need to play...because I've played it all before...

...now, where are my slippers Gromit?
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:08 pm

I voted Halo because i loved the first game, the second game was also good but yeah...the ending was an anti climax and i loved/was addicted to all 4 Halo novels :D unfortunately i dont own a 360 to play number 3 :roll: figures! but id rather wait for prices to come down and the ring of death issues to get sorted first :D
hibbs
level2
level2

Postby hibbs » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 pm

i voted for wii (i just bought one so.... kinda have to)

i like the halo idea though i don't own an xbox or a 360 and personally i'd wait for the "ring of death" issues to be over with before i buy. (witch is why i got a wii) ("ring of death"...... S*** microsoft's done it AGAIN! i bet anything it's running vista behind the scines. :roll: ) sorry for the language i get mad when talking about microsoft. i've only played halo 1 to the generator level (and still have to knock out that last one.....) i can't play halo 2 for not having a fast enough pc and i don't want to install vista just to try.

pc would be good if it wasn't for dvd's with sony's securom. can't use them and i haven't bought another pc game after buying bioshock. (can't play it anyway not the "original cd" i wanted to rip out my dvd drive's lazer and rip out my cpu and make it take a good look. :twisted: ) why isn't there a multiwinia option? i'd buy that the second it came out.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:59 pm

Where's the 'All of the above' option?
I'm a gamer, I dont pidgeon-hole myself into your little groups :P
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:04 pm

You people are weird: you continuously scream for a new poll, and when I finally create a new one, after two hours there's only ten votes! Geez... :P

Icepick wrote:Where's the 'All of the above' option?
I'm a gamer, I dont pidgeon-hole myself into your little groups :P

I know what you mean, but I'm talking about hypes, not the usual genres you play. There is another poll for that!

hibbs wrote:why isn't there a multiwinia option?

I thought about creating an IV option for a moment, but I then decided that would be dangerous because everyone would vote for that one.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:09 pm

Well in that case, where is the 'None of the above' option? :P
I dont follow hype at all.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”