Random

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

x * (x - 1) = The Answer. x = ?

8. No, wait, 7. Plus Jelco can't make polls right first time around...
9
45%
4
0
No votes
Eh?
2
10%
Beer.
4
20%
Sure...
5
25%
 
Total votes: 20
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Random

Postby jelco » Fri May 04, 2007 6:00 pm

Jelco's Weekly Poll

Previous polls

- IGF Diary, Pt. 3
- Your age
- Darwinia Birthday Poll
- Your favourite gaming genre
- Your Operating System
- Your favourite genre
- Your Media Player
- Your Webbrowser

Let's see...

Well, waddaya know. I have a math question for you guys. And believe it or not, the topic title is a great hint!

My Post

If you have never heard of DNA, you should immediately go and find his work. Now.

Jelco
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Fri May 04, 2007 6:04 pm

I think that 7 should be an answer, as it would then equal the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
User avatar
wwarnick
level5
level5
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Rexburg, ID

Postby wwarnick » Fri May 04, 2007 9:03 pm

x * (x - 1) = x^2 - x, which I guess also equals The Answer.x.

jelco, you've failed us all.

wwarnick
User avatar
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Posts: 4667
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)
Contact:

Re: Random

Postby shinygerbil » Fri May 04, 2007 9:03 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
If you have never heard of DNA, you should immediately go and find his work. Now.

Jelco


Except you forgot to include 7, which as Feud rightly claims, is the correct answer to this poll. ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Image
User avatar
wwarnick
level5
level5
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Rexburg, ID

Postby wwarnick » Fri May 04, 2007 9:13 pm

Oops, I misread the question. x = (1 +/- 1) / 2, which is either 0 or 1.

wwarnick
Last edited by wwarnick on Fri May 04, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
wwarnick
level5
level5
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Rexburg, ID

Postby wwarnick » Fri May 04, 2007 9:27 pm

On second thought, the quadratic equation requires that the right side be zero. Therefore, The Answer=
Image
Which we'll flip clockwise to get x:
Image
This graph wasn't one of your options, jelco. I'm disappointed.

wwarnick
User avatar
creator
level3
level3
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:57 pm
Location: Cornwall, England

Postby creator » Fri May 04, 2007 9:57 pm

aww wwarnick you beat me to it...the answer has to be 0 or 2!!!

and the proof
x(x-1) = x
x^2 - x - x = 0
x(x-2) = 0

there for x = 0 or x-2 = =

hence x = 0 or 2

hah beat your poll!
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Fri May 04, 2007 10:10 pm

Fuck.



I'm so sorry, I wrongfully entered 8. As you guys said, it should be 7. Dammit, I can't change it anymore!

*head makes contact with table*

*hand connects to forehead*

I'm sorry. I was in quite a hurry, and I just finished watching End of Evangelion. The final line of the movie catches my feelings: Kimochi warui.

Jelco

EDIT: Neo, if you read this, could you PLEASE change the first option to 7?
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri May 04, 2007 10:13 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Fuck.



I'm so sorry, I wrongfully entered 8. As you guys said, it should be 7. Dammit, I can't change it anymore!

*head makes contact with table*

*hand connects to forehead*

I'm sorry. I was in quite a hurry, and I just finished watching End of Evangelion. The final line of the movie catches my feelings: Kimochi warui.

Jelco

EDIT: Neo, if you read this, could you PLEASE change the first option to 7?

I demand a new Weekly Poll!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Sat May 05, 2007 1:08 am

You see guys, he didn't say that x*(x-1)=x he said that x*(x-1)= The Answer. The Answer=42, so the number 7 was needed.
User avatar
ChasM
level2
level2
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:47 pm
Location: Arizona Desert

Postby ChasM » Sat May 05, 2007 4:46 am

Euclid's ashes are rolling over in his tomb.
http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/elements.html
Jelco = Random
Have a nice Cinco de Mayo (fifth of May.)
(-: Chas.M. :-)
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Sat May 05, 2007 4:43 pm

It was definitely Neo who altered the option. Just for your information: It's been a while, so I'm a little out of the routine. Perhaps that's why I didn't make it right the first time.

I like the fact there are lots of people who seem to know about the ultimate answer, but I'd appreciate it if the spoilers would be given a lower profile, in the case of a possible next time. Let's keep this interesting for everyone, OK?

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Sat May 05, 2007 10:53 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:It was definitely Neo who altered the option. Just for your information: It's been a while, so I'm a little out of the routine. Perhaps that's why I didn't make it right the first time.

I like the fact there are lots of people who seem to know about the ultimate answer, but I'd appreciate it if the spoilers would be given a lower profile, in the case of a possible next time. Let's keep this interesting for everyone, OK?

Jelco


Well, at the time my answer was not a spoiler. It wasn't an option for an answer, so I could not have known I was inadvertently giving it away.
User avatar
wwarnick
level5
level5
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: Rexburg, ID

Postby wwarnick » Sun May 06, 2007 5:59 am

Wait a minute, wait a minute! That's the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything!

wwarnick
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun May 06, 2007 7:48 am

Feud wrote:You see guys, he didn't say that x*(x-1)=x he said that x*(x-1)= The Answer. The Answer=42, so the number 7 was needed.

I knew what it was "supposed to be" before he got it changed, I just couldn't figure out why none of the options were correct.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest