Your Operating System

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What OS do you use?

Windows Vista
8%
Windows XP or other NT versions
51%
Windows 98, ME or earlier
No votes
Macintosh 10.x
15%
Macintosh 9.x or earlier
No votes
Linux - SUSE
No votes
Linux - Ubuntu
9%
Linux - Other, please specify
12%
Solaris
No votes
Other, please specify
6%

Total votes: 93
jelco
level5
level5

Your Operating System

Postby jelco » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:41 pm

Jelco's Weekly Poll

Previous polls

- Your favourite genre
- Your Media Player
- Your Webbrowser

What Operating System do you use?

This is bound to create some huge arguments, I guess, but that's what makes it fun. I know I didn't include every single OS, but the most common ones are in there (those most common to me, that is). Linux is possibly the largest collection of OSes, so I really wanted an Other... option. The reason I created special SUSE and Ubuntu options is simple: as far as I know, they're the best known versions, and most used. Knoppix is different, because that's a LiveDistro.

Just vote for the OS you use the most or that is installed on most of your systems. I don't mean LDs, because they're not actually installed. And please don't mention server software. My webserver runs RedHat Enterprise, but it's not my main workspace :wink:.

EDIT: Only just realised I forgot the Unix family. Just vote Solaris in that case, since Solaris is Unix-based.

My Post

I use XP. The main PC here at home runs a legal version of Home, and my mother's laptop runs legal Pro. Both my sister's and my laptops use cracked Pro versions (activation has been cut out). I found some package with Red Hat 7 Personal, which is very old, but it was free, so I just took it. The CDs are still sealed, I still haven't tried it yet. I occasionally use BackTrack2, an LD with all sorts of hacking and cracking utilities. I occasionally use the tools, but I mainly have it so I can have Linux on my 300Mhz PII laptop without installation (it's based on Knoppix).

And none of our systems is capable of running Vista. The Upgrade Advisor is positive about our main PC, but it only has 768MB RAM, so that seems quite unlikely to me. So I don't have Vista (yet). I did however have Office 2k7 Enterprise a day before the official release (and I could actually find a Dutch version). Internet is an awesome thing.

I'm curious if anyone uses Solaris or something else :P!

Jelco
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:46 pm

I'm using XP media centre edition right now. Apparently my laptop is 'Vista Capable' but i can't be arsed updating as vista doesn't seem to offer any great advantages over XP and some games are incompatible with it right now, it looks like i'm gonna have to go with vista when i get a new pc though.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:51 pm

XP home bought from Newegg.

No time or need for anything else, and the following is why Vista will not be on my pc for quite a while...

The Onion wrote:Microsoft Vista Released

February 7, 2007 | Issue 43•06

Microsoft released its new operating system, Vista, on Jan. 30. Here are some of its features:

Microsoft Word's helpful paper-clip icon now blinks at rate of normal humans

Enhanced graphics on "System Is Not Responding" pop-up window

Five new card-back designs for Solitaire

Something that Apple would never, ever dream up in a billion years

4,391 security flaws to be patched over next 15 years

Promise of broad, open-minded future or some bullshit

Lists blocked wireless connections with greater speed and accuracy

New operating system, same old Microsoft Paint
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:04 pm

I thought the paperclip had already been removed. I'm not sure, but I though Office 2k7 testers unanimously called for the first fix to be: GET RID OF THAT DAMN 'HELPER'.

Where did you get that, by the way?

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:08 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I thought the paperclip had already been removed. I'm not sure, but I though Office 2k7 testers unanimously called for the first fix to be: GET RID OF THAT DAMN 'HELPER'.

Where did you get that, by the way?

Jelco

The Onion. But be warned, it contains material that can be a little 'mature'.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:13 pm

The Onion being a rather renown satirist online newspaper, although I do use the term satirist loosley as some of the stories are just weird fiction. The paperclip did infact get killed off in the new office.

Anyway, other than using XP for actually doing work. I do mess about on AmigaOS 3.1, mainly for nostalgia, however I do want to get OS4 if they actually start making AmigaOne motherboards again and once I wish to part with some cash.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:23 pm

You're missing an option up there, hence me putting other.

I use a multiboot system.

XP
SuSE
Ubuntu
And soon to have Vista also.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:42 pm

I have many systems, and thusly many OS'es.

If we go by active computers, then the OS that wins is Gentoo. If we go by all my machines since year dot, then XP wins. In fact, the only machine that hasn't had XP on it is the laptop that has Gentoo on it (the Green Monster), and that's because it's so old that XP would be a sever challenge (although I did have XP working on my 200MHz desktop before, so it isn't impossible).

As a side note, you're missing all the BSD variants as well ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:56 pm

What about BeOS?! What about Amigas?! OS/2?! CowboyNeal?!

Macintosh OS X 10.4.8, here.

xander
deltantor
level2
level2

Postby deltantor » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:57 pm

Rkiver wrote:You're missing an option up there, hence me putting other.

I use a multiboot system.

XP
SuSE
Ubuntu
And soon to have Vista also.

I multiboot XP, DOS, Ubuntu, Suse, Win98SE, and Gentoo

dos and win98 for old games (underground gamer ftw!)
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:04 pm

Three desktops and one laptop in mah house.

-Windows XP Home
-Windows XP Pro (This is the computer that I built :mrgreen:)
-Windows XP Media Center Edition
-Laptop: Windows XP Media Center Edition
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
deltantor
level2
level2

Postby deltantor » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:31 pm

xyzyxx wrote:Three desktops and one laptop in mah house.

-Windows XP Home
-Windows XP Pro (This is the computer that I built :mrgreen:)
-Windows XP Media Center Edition
-Laptop: Windows XP Media Center Edition

mce rocks, i only use it for watching stuff on my 360 use transcode360 though, if it wasnt for that i would be using pro
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:38 pm

I expected multiboot cases, but I did ask you to vote the OS you use most of the time. Like the others, this poll isn't meant to result in serious statistics, but it's just to give an impression (and because I was bored :D). And that also means I have to deal with the option limit of these boards. (Neo, what about 15 options max?)

NeoThermic wrote:As a side note, you're missing all the BSD variants as well :wink:

BSD is actually Unix, Neo.

xander wrote:What about BeOS?! What about Amigas?! OS/2?! CowboyNeal?!

Macintosh OS X 10.4.8, here.

xander

I expected you to have Tiger. And I have to say, I seriously considered added CowboyNeal as an option, xander :P.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:57 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I expected multiboot cases, but I did ask you to vote the OS you use most of the time.

Thing is, in my case I multi-task by using multiple machines. My desktop has my laptop in Gentoo and my desktop in XP, so in theory for the time I'm sitting here at this keyboard, I'm racking up time for both OS'es at the same time. Hence why the question is invalid ;)

jelco the galactaboy wrote: And that also means I have to deal with the option limit of these boards. (Neo, what about 15 options max?)

If you're going to do these frequently and we all like them, then that gives me case to increment the limit. Lets try another week before I decide to move anything. Plus I like round numbers, so it'll either be 16 or 20 options ;)

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:As a side note, you're missing all the BSD variants as well :wink:

BSD is actually Unix, Neo.

And Linux is a derivative of Minx, which is a derivative of Unix, yet you still listed them separately :) If this, however, is due to the limit, then do see above :)

NeoThermic
deltantor
level2
level2

Postby deltantor » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:12 pm

NeoThermic wrote:And Linux is a derivative of Minx, which is a derivative of Unix, yet you still listed them separately :) If this, however, is due to the limit, then do see above :)

NeoThermic

well, while we are on it windows 98 was based on MS-DOS, which was based on QDOS, which was an imitation of CP/M. so why not just list Unix, NT, Macintosh 128K, and CP/M, that would cover most every operating system (or at least their "origin" OS)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”