Your favourite genre

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What is your favourite music genre?

Pop (popular music)
5%
Rock
49%
Hardrock
5%
(Extreme) Heavy metal
5%
Dance
3%
Techno
3%
Electronica
8%
Jazz
5%
Blues
No votes
Other, please specify
18%

Total votes: 39
jelco
level5
level5

Your favourite genre

Postby jelco » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:07 pm

I've decided to run a series of polls, since the previous two seemed to be more popular than I expected.

So, all we need now is a template:

Jelco's Weekly Poll

Previous polls

- Your Media Player
- Your Webbrowser

What is your favourite music genre?

If you want to give an impression of your musical interests, please post a list of artists you like.

To clear up stuff, I want to minimise the amount of genres. Since even the Beatles didn't know what genre they used, I think that is a good idea.
- (Extreme) Heavy Metal indexes everything metal (due to the poll options limit) excluding nu metal. Since there's always a lot of confusion about that, I think it's best to add that to Hardrock
- Rock points at stuff like 80's rock, including Supertramp and the Alan Parsons Project
- Hardrock is the music inbetween rock and metal. Most people will mess this up with nu metal (there's no clear definition for this), so bands like Linkin Park and lostprophets are indexed by hardrock
- Rock 'n Roll is NOT Rock. :x It's the slower form of rock, originating from blues. Keep it simple, choose Blues in that case
- Electronica is not the same as Dance. Dance is a (mostly) happy form of music, whereas electronica is relatively raw. A good example of electronica is Mammagamma 04 by Alan Parsons (a remake of his instrumental Mammagamma)
- Trance and Dance are said to be different genres. There actually are subtle differences, but generally, you can call it all dance music
- Techno will cover any 'dark' forms of electronic music: techno, hardcore, hardstyle etc. It might as well be called 'Techno and up' in this case :P
- Blues includes the 'old' R&B (where it means Rhythm and Blues). The 'contemporary' (awful :D) form of R&B (some people stated it now abbreviates Rhythm & Beats) is indexed under Hip Hop.

And if a band has multiple genres, please choose the dominant genre.

My Post

- Alan Parsons (Project)
- Children of Bodom
- Crosby, (Stills,) Nash (& Young)
- Deep Purple
- DragonForce
- Led Zeppelin
- Linkin Park
- lostprophets
- Nightwish
- Pink Floyd
- Rage Against the Machine
- SlipKnoT
- Sonata Arctica
- System of a Down
- Within Temptation

On top of that, there are a lot of dance, trance, hardstyle etc. artists, but a very nice collection is the whole bunch of Sensation CDs (White and Black).

Yes, I agree, that's a lot of different genres for one person to like. But now the turn's to you guys. Let's see what you like.

Jelco

PS: I'm curious who is going to vote for 'Other, please specify'. I think the non-mainstreamers are around in large numbers.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:21 pm

You left off Classical (or, given that you broke apart Trance/Dance, Techno, and Electronica -- you left off Baroque, Romantic, Classical, Modern, and Post-Modern Classical Music), County-Western, "World" or Folk Music, New Age (rhymes with "sewage"), and Cowboy Neal.

My listening is a bit eclectic. I listen to a wide variety of classical music (I am particularly fond of 20th century Russian/Soviet composers such as Shostakovitch and Prokofiev, but also listen to a lot of Baroque music, and like some of the older Gregorian chant and early English music); some Trance (Delerium, Ayla, Tiesto, Oakenfold, Fat Boy Slim); a varied diet of rock (U2, Bôa (a band that watchers of Lain might recognize -- they did the opening theme), Cream, Pink Floyd, Scorpion, &c.); and other random things such as the soundtracks to Shadow of the Colossus and Darwinia, a bit of Hip-Hop, Johny Cash, early Jazz (Louis Armstrong era), &c. &c. I don't really have one favorite genre.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:27 pm

He also forgot Christian Rock...

NeoThermic
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:28 pm

I am one of the freaks that never listen to music. Where do i vote?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:37 pm

xander wrote:You left off Classical (or, given that you broke apart Trance/Dance, Techno, and Electronica -- you left off Baroque, Romantic, Classical, Modern, and Post-Modern Classical Music), County-Western, "World" or Folk Music, New Age (rhymes with "sewage"),

I first wanted to include Classical, but as I mentioned, I am limited to 10 options. And I really wanted to keep those three electronic genres apart.

xander wrote: and Cowboy Neal.

Go die in a fire, xander :D (By the way, it's supposed to be one word.)

xander wrote:some Trance (Delerium, Ayla, Tiesto, Oakenfold, Fat Boy Slim);

Oh boy. Although he's Dutch, I don't like his stuff AT ALL. I guess (and hope) you haven't heard his remix of He's A Pirate?

xander wrote:random things such as the soundtracks to Shadow of the Colossus and Darwinia

I also really like Tresk/Trash80. His stuff is really good. (This is also another good example of Electronica, while not Dance.)

xander wrote:I don't really have one favorite genre.

I expected this, and it's the exact reason I asked you to give a list of artists. :D

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:37 pm

All of the above?

Right now my "best of" playlist has 48 genres and 597 different artists (1596 tracks). . .

Small selection:

10,000 Maniacs
Buffalo Springfield
Cathie Ryan
Chuck Berry
Big River soundtrack (musical)
Dion and the Belmonts
Eva Cassidy
Great Big Sea
Harper's Bazarre
James Taylor
Living Color
Miriam Makeba
Shawn Mullins
Little Women soundtrack
Aimee Mann
Badly Drawn Boy
The Beatles
Billie Holiday
Blackmore's Night
Cat Stevens
Cusco
Imogen Heap
Guster
Jimi Hendrix
Joshua Radin
KT Tunstall
Lee Greenwood
Led Zeppelin
Louis Armstrong
IAM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Regina Spektor

This doesn't include the Jazz and Classical music I have, which is better played as albums rather than individual tracks (love Handel, Bach, Copland, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, etc.)

(total library 64 genres, 1202 artists, 11,299 tracks)
Last edited by Stewsburntmonkey on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:40 pm

mibias wrote:I am one of the freaks that never listen to music. Where do i vote?

I don't know. Have you also noticed that when you say to people you don't really listen to music, they look at you as if you are inhuman or something.

You can be a homosexual and into bondage, but if you don't listen to music you are just wrong.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:42 pm

The only music i listen to is the music in games...
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:46 pm

Pop isn't a genre!

Anyway, when I go out I mostly like to listen to good dance - DnB, Hard House, etc. Also don't mind the occasional bit of Rock.

Listening at home, anything goes really, rock, some electronica, blues, classical... although, I generally have trouble putting things into genres.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:49 pm

My total Lib is 89 genres over 769 albums, in about 3000+ songs.

I just cut lose and click random, hit play and enjoy every song.

NeoThermic
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:54 pm

Sheesh, my music collection's puny compared to that.

Hmm, favourite stuff;

Simple Minds
Pink Floyd
Jean Michel Jarre
David Bowie
U2
And generally odds and sods, anything slowish with lots happening and where you can hear the words if there are any. I seem to have an uncanny knack of liking songs people find depressing.

I presume most of it would fall under rock?
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:00 pm

MrBunsy wrote:I seem to have an uncanny knack of liking songs people find depressing.

Like Gloomy Sunday?
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:15 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:
MrBunsy wrote:I seem to have an uncanny knack of liking songs people find depressing.

Like Gloomy Sunday?
0_o Blimey! No, not quite that extreme. 'Dreary' might be a better word to have used.
deltantor
level2
level2

Postby deltantor » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:27 pm

heh, im into a lot of music, mostly heavy metal/metalcore stuff (Atreyu) and lots of techno.....i also listen to classic rock (Pink Floyd!). And i also listen to a lot of underground garage bands since there is a teen club where i live and they have a concert every month.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Eighties, all the time. Particularly synth rock songs.

One Night In Bangkok, Here in my car, Video Killed the Radio Star, all favorites.

I listen to pretty much everything else though. On top would be groups like Boston and Metallica.

The only music I can't stand to the point of total avoidance is "Country" as it is today, more like rock with a twang.
Classic country is great.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Introversion Lounge”