Favourite Anime Series

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:50 pm

jelco wrote:Something with compliments towards NeatNit, etc. ;)

Jelco

If NeatNit says something that is not brain-meltingly stupid, he should be encouraged to do so again. Thus, positive comments towards useful statements are a good thing.

xander
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:00 am

Right, a small update.

First off, Tegami Bachi really becomes more loveable the more I see of it - it was a little doubtful whether this would be a keeper at first but after four episodes the style and setting of the series is rock solid and it's impossible not to fall in love with it. Definitely a series to check out if you want a slightly artsy fantasy-esque series.

Next to that, I finally got round to watching a first episode my housemate had watched without me, Aoi Bungaku. It's a very dark series (it's apparently broadcast at 1:30 AM in Japan so that should give you a good indication of the target audience) and the style is very reminiscent of Monster and Serial Experiments Lain. It's mildly disturbing and yet strangely refreshing - maybe it's just that the series is without a doubt aimed at an adult audience and that's unexplored territory for me. If you speak a little Japanese you might've guessed from the title that it derives its storyline (or rather storylines) from literary works - the currently released episodes are part of the first story ("Ningen Shikaku"; No longer human) so I'm not sure whether the style will remain the same during the other five stories.

Another series we dove into today is Muteki Kanban Musume, the English title of which is "Ramen Fighter Miki" which should give you a good idea of the genre. The setting presents a hyperactive short-tempered girl working for the family-owned ramen restaurant, with every episode consisting of two pretty self-contained stories which all depict Miki screwing up her job in a way ranging from bad to ouright disastrous. It's a pretty ridiculous series and hence is not a style everybody will enjoy, but if you can appreciate the humour you will find yourself crying with laughter.

To give you an indication of the randomness of the series, here's a quote from probably the most genius scene of the entire series: "A bullet train trying to run over a local train has just been pulverized by a single blow from an asteroid."

Other than that, I'm looking forward to a new episode of Fairy Tail tomorrow. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:51 pm

xander wrote:

Jelco

If NeatNit says something that is not brain-meltingly stupid, he should be encouraged to do so again. Thus, positive comments towards useful statements are a good thing.

xander
You live in a universe of false hope.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:47 pm

NeatNit wrote:
xander wrote:

Jelco

xander
You live in a universe of false hope.

In other words, not only are you an idiot, but you choose to be an idiot. Great.

xander
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:39 am

With the amount of anime watching that's been going on in this house lately, and in particular the manga-reading habit of a certain housemate, I've been considering picking up the Shaman King manga. The SK anime is the series that got me into anime (see the first post in this topic) but in comparison to what I've seen since then the anime was pretty bad, mostly because it ends in the middle of the series. The manga supposedly goes on much longer and has a way more interesting story, and 32 volumes is a lot to work oneself through. The fact that this manga apparently ends with a huge cliffhanger for a finale that never came is a price I was prepared to pay. It's also something that I was prepared to buy in Japanese and use fan scanlations to English to work myself through the manga as some kind of training. I already did this with the Full Metal Panic! novels but those are walls of text to someone who barely knows any kanji (although I do now fully understand hiragana and am learning katakana pretty fast).

However, while searching just now I found out the series has been reprinted in kanzenban format (i.e. Special Edition) which trims the total number of volumes from 32 to 27 (making the volumes thicker) but adds 16 chapters including a proper ending. The last volume was released last April which makes it recent and pretty available in a lot of shops. However, the fact that it's recent and the fact that it's kanzenban makes them more expensive. Amazon, the cheapest place I could find, asks 1000 yen per volume, which comes down to € 7,50 excluding shipping and customs costs. I'm also starting to fear that buying the whole collection just to find them sitting on the shelf because the level is too high was a scary prediction to me, making me look back to the FMP! novels (now more than back then since being a student makes me shorter on money).

I ended up searching on the national second-hand-selling website (Marktplaats, translates to Marketplace and was so successful eBay bought it). I found out someone in Amersfoort, my original hometown, is selling the first 10 English volumes for € 35. I'm hoping I can bring down the price a bit but I'm definitely buying them since this is incredibly cheap and I won't have to pay for shipping if I can simply arrive on his doorstep (I still visit Amersfoort from time to time due to visit my parents). I've decided I might buy one or two Japanese volumes so that I can put them side by side but I'll take it easy and make sure I don't buy any Japanese books I haven't read in English yet. It's a money-saving strategy that I hope will work out nicely in the end, even if the English series is far from complete at the moment.

Small downside: the English translations are the old 'regular' books, if I buy Japanese books they'll be the kanzenban versions. I guess it won't be a lot of trouble as the early volumes probably won't have any bonus chapters, but it'll still be slightly weird I guess.

Jelco

PS: Bump.

- Douglas Adams
Teddy Coalition
level2
level2

Postby Teddy Coalition » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:28 am

Tied for 1st.

Robotech
Ghost in the Shell (SAC 1 & 2)
Touch
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
TriGun

2nd best.
Rurouni Kenshin
Captain Herlock
Kimagure Orange Road
Bubblegum Crisis (crash and AD police rock too!!)

3rd best
Gambare Kickers
Macross Plus
Original Gundam Trilogy
Cowboy Bebop

and many, many, more.... most are 80s anime.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:56 am

*stabs thread*

*encourages xander to stab thread*
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:14 pm

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! CUUUURRSSEEE YYOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!!!! *explodes*
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:08 pm

And BAM, we're back. This never gets old. :P So there's a lot of stuff to talk about. I've been watching a lot of series with housemates lately and I think it's time to give you all a short summary.

First up, Tegami Bachi recently finished with 25 episodes, including an announcement of a second season. The series is really nice, especially because of the art style - the Amberground world of eternal night is beautifully designed. The story seems to progress a little slowly in the beginning, especially because of several anime-only filler episodes some less inspired than others, but overall it manages to get far enough to make the cliffhanger of the final episode interesting enough. This being one of the series I follow in manga form as well, I can tell you that the story manages to get quite interesting later on - especially the most recent addition (chapter 38) shows that there is quite some potential for depth in here. Filler is unavoidable sadly, because the story hasn't progressed extremely far yet - however the wait until the start of the next season might make the gap big enough so that the anime producers will refrain from putting in too much of that. It's worth noting that the art style seems to work slightly better in the manga - the gaichuu (semi-mechanical insect-like creatures) are CGI in the anime which makes them stand out just that bit too much.

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun also recently finished but we forgot about that at one point and now have exactly half of the series finished - the last 12 episodes may very well sit there waiting for us until summer. Concerning the part we got to, I have to say it caught me by surprise - it's not actually a slice-of-life side-story spin-off as much as it seems to be at first, but actually contains a good story with several elements just short of horrifying. Can't say too much about it right now, but if you liked To Aru Majutsu no Index this series is definitely a recommended watch.

Fullmetal Alchemist 2 is still in full swing (I've stopped calling it Brotherhood because the subtitle simply doesn't make sense looking at the story). Rumours have started going around about the series ending with 63 episodes, which leaves just 9 episodes at the moment of writing. Shortly after, rumours started appearing about the manga ending with 108 chapters, which leaves just 2 more chapters at the moment of writing. To be honest I don't believe the latter - it's simply a count people came up with which would make it so that the anime doesn't end before the manga. I'm not sure what's going to happen but I sure as hell know that the current situation in the manga is not going to be solved in just two chapters - the same goes for the anime but that announcement seems slightly more official. I guess we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime the writer is obviously bringing the story to some kind of end and lots of loose ends are being tied up, with the quality level still impressively high. It really is a masterpiece, and almost mandatory material for any anime/manga loving nerd out there.

Fairy Tail is also still going, currently halfway the Phantom Lord arc in the anime. Comparisons with One Piece are simply redundant, so let's just stick with saying that it's the same kind of adventure, comedy, fun and quality that One Piece offers. Watch the first couple of episodes and you immediately recognize the similarities. However, it's a proper universe in its own right, with a well-defined cast, intriguing storylines and just plain humour. The manga is several arcs ahead and it's probably going to be quite some time before the anime gets to the current Edoras arc, but fortunately the series seems so successful that it may very well get that far. I daresay Fairy Tail will in a few years time be known as one of the big, long-running series, joining the likes of One Piece, Bleach, Naruto etc.

Talking of One Piece, I've started watching the anime with my housemates (who are up-to-date). I myself am halfway the Skypeia arc in the anime, but am up-to-date with the manga so there's no spoilers. I figured I might as well just watch along with the current episodes so that there's less material for me to catch up on. :P The truth is, I'm very happy that I decided to start reading the manga, because there's simply nothing about the current anime episodes I like. First of all, it's all too happy. The colours are too bright, the animation too cartoony. Their current environments (trying to avoid too much spoilers here) are simply gruesome, dark and well...reeking of death. The manga's atmosphere is completely destroyed in the anime. Next to that, the filler material is painfully badly written. Lastly, it's almost as if there have been massive budget cuts: scenes are time-stretched to inhumane levels and animation clips are either replaced by a series of stills, or recycled to death. Honestly, there's a lot of fun I had with the anime I watched up to episode 175 (which is as far as I got in Skypeia) and I still want to watch it all if only for the filler, but there's just so much to hate and so little to like about the recent episodes it's despicable. If you're a One Piece fan, seriously, go read the manga.

Moving on, several new series as well. Arakawa Under the Bridge is a downright bizarre series about a guy born into a rich family, destined to inherit the family business and encrusted with a very...interesting life lesson (you'll discover within the first five seconds or so, I believe). He ends up in a communities of weirdos living under a bridge over the Arakawa river (for those who wondered where the name came from). It's a very hard series to describe, and the best way to see if you like it is simply watching the first episode because it pretty much sets the standard. It has elements of slice-of-life (with the episodes themselves being episodic in an almost yonkoma-like way) and some very weird humour which you either love or hate. It may not be the epitomy of intelligent television or unpredictable exciting storylines, in fact quite the opposite of both. But if you can appreciate it's strangely adult-like childishness, it can be a lot of fun.

Talking of yonkoma, Working!! is currently being adapted into an anime. This is one for all the Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star fans out there. The story sets out with a 16-year-old guy accidentally getting recruited for a family restaurant, where he works alongside: a 17-year-old girl a headlength shorter than him, a girl who always has a katana with her for no apparent reason, a manager who also happens to be a yakuza head, a girl who due to her androphobia struggles not to hit every man she sees, a cook who blackmails everyone else into doing his work for him, and several more 'unique' characters. It's a very easy-to-watch series, with humour and charm to make you smile even if you're not in the mood for anything but watching this series. As said before, if you liked Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star, there's no way you won't like this.

Katanagatari is the first monthly anime series I've come across, with hour-long episodes to make up for the longer wait. The story revolves around a boy who was literally isolated from civilization for the first 21 years of his life, the last to know a fighting technique basically known as "swordfighting without a sword". He is recruited by a 'tactician' from the shogunate to retrieve 12 legendary swords. Each of the 12 episodes (probably each based on one of the 12 books of the light novel series it's based upon) revolves around one of these swords, focusing on the owner/opponent and the plans of a group of interested ninjas to interfere. The longer episodes put a heavy emphasis on exposition, with lots of dialogue in some scenes, and slightly slower story progression than you might be used to. (Personally I think the progression and dialogue feel like your average Ghost in the Shell SAC episode, but then played at half the speed i.e. a sane speed. :P) The action is well done but is far from the main focus of the series, and the same goes for the dialogue. What is it that makes the series so interesting and worth the longer watch? It's very difficult to explain without getting into spoilers, but the best summary would be: richness in background, abundance of originality and the element of surprise. Watching the first episode alone doesn't give you a good idea of the series - every next episode catches you off-guard and brings worthwhile additions. The unorthodox structure makes this a refreshing watch - however the long episodes full of stuff to take in are not ones you want to watch when you're in a lazy mood.

One series we haven't really watched yet beyond the pilot is Durarara!! There's not a lot I can say about this one because I haven't seen much of it yet, but it seems to be very interesting and we plan on seeing more of it. The story focuses on a guy who moves to Tokyo, and while shown around Ikebukuro by his childhood friend he witnesses several shady things: an information merchant, a gang named the Dollars and an urban legend called the Black Rider (a biker who drives through the city at night without any lights). What the series is going to be about is not very clear, but there's enough in there to make it look exciting, and I can't wait to see more of it.

Then finally, the series that I just finished and brought me to writing here in the first place: Eden of the East. With just 11 episodes it's a short watch, and I watched it in one sitting tonight. The series follows the exploitations of a guy who finds himself naked in front of the White House with his memory apparently just wiped by a weird phone he holds in one hand, a gun in the other. Together with a girl he meets there he tries to find out more about his past, the phone, and the truth behind an event called Careless Monday when 10 Tomahawks hit Japan without claiming any victims. For some reason, I was reminded of Haibane Renmei while watching this series, but when I try to imagine why I have no clue - there's absolutely no apparent similarities between the series. However, the direction has a certain feel to it which I guess is the reason here. The story is simply well-written, not as complicated as you might expect but still satisfying in the end. As 11 episodes might imply, it feels a bit short, but they manage to make it into a quite well-rounded product. There's 3 films based on this series - one summarizing the TV series, and two sequels titled "King of Eden" and "Paradise Lost" respectively. I haven't watched any but am planning to watch at least the first sequel tonight. I'm not sure how to give advice about who would like this, but overall it just feels different and nicely made. Just watch the first two or three episodes and you'll know soon enough.

A note, by the way, about the combination of manga and anime. As I mentioned in this post a couple of times, there are several series which I read as manga in addition to watching their anime counterparts. Why watch in anime form what you've already read in manga form? Most of all, it's because they're different media, and they both have a different feel to them. It hardly bothers me to watch an episode that retreads material of which I already know how it's going to end (except maybe One Piece which does it in agonizing ways at the moment). However, I do want to point out that the order matters - first reading the manga and watching the anime has proven to be the best way. The other way around (which was the situation I had when I started reading the manga series) just feels less interesting and less rewarding. In fact, I enjoy reading the manga more than the anime for most series, simply because it looks and feels more right. Of course, this is all down to personal preference - some people don't like reading manga as much as watching anime and in that case there's no reason to do it (because it should stay fun, of course). There's some anime out there which I plan on or am (re-)reading in manga form, and in the long run I might very well end up doing this for all anime, but for the moment I think I'll stick to the ones which have added value. There's some currently ongoing series (FMA, OP, FT and TB), there's some where the manga goes way beyond the scope of the anime (Shaman King and Rozen Maiden I'm currently reading, Love Hina I finished, I have Ghost in the Shell planned) and there's some which just don't get old no matter how many times you read or watch them (yonkoma like Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star and Working!!).

So, finally finished another humongous bump post. I'll top it off with links to my manga and anime lists.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:25 pm

:shock:

I wrote less than that for my last essay!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat May 01, 2010 2:42 am

Short? Where?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat May 01, 2010 5:58 pm

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun May 02, 2010 4:40 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:Short? Where?

I started off thinking it would be short, but just keep typing and hit Submit without any revision and this is what you get. :P

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:16 pm

And here we are again. Excuse me while I go annoy some anti-anime folks with another bump. ;)

I just watched 5 Centimeters per Second with a housemate. This is definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Miyazaki fans will have a blast, which isn't strange considering that the director of this movie has been frequently hailed as "the next Miyazaki". This movie doesn't dabble in surrealism or fantasy as much as Miyazaki's work does, but frequently has you fooled nonetheless. The beautiful artwork (especially the backgrounds are jaw-dropping) make you wish the movie lasts forever, even more so because by movie standards it has an amazingly short runtime (1 hour). It's difficult to describe what makes the movie so good without significant spoilers, so the best summary I can give is basically this: a portrayal of the more significant troubles teenagers go through while growing up, particularly emphasizing the unexpected downsides that come with the seemingly exclusively happy things. The movie is as poetic as this summary, including a healthy dose of reality (again, hard to explain this properly without spoiling anything). I realized afterwards that the main reason I found the film so incredible is because part of it reminded me of stuff I went through myself. Most of this past 'youthful experience' the movie focuses on applies to many people out there, so I think the effect will be the same for others. Incidentally, this one is going onto my list of 'anime for people new to anime' - it's not the most accessible one out there but has a lot of appeal for fans of Hollywood material with the same subjects.

Series-wise, we recently finished watching Durarara. The first episode had me very excited back when we started watching this (see the huge bump at the top of this page), but everything put together this series is just so full of surprises that it gets better and better with more and more unexpected (but not in any way far-fetched) turns along the way. Once again, the sheer greatness of this series can't be explained without giving huge spoilers, but even so the short summary in my previous bump is a good way to check if you'll like this series - if the description gets you curious, you'll love this. :)

Katanagatari is still running. Its concept of monthly one-hour episodes for a full year seems to work well, and remains interesting. The only downside to the monthly formula is that you tend to forget what happened in the previous episodes. Considering that a lot can happen in an episode and there's quite some references being made to the past, this can get confusing, but fortunately the series does a good job of hinting just enough information that you remember the important bits.

Tegami Bachi has started its second season, going by the name of Tegami Bachi REVERSE. The subtitle does not refer to anything time-related, but alludes to the main antagonist party of the series (the name's mentioned in the first series as well). It basically just continues where the previous one left off and keeps following the manga storyline. Good thing, because the manga does get a lot better than before during this part (too bad the writer hasn't yet felt the need to drop the main character's whining which means that not a single chapter or episode goes without a scene with him crying tears drawn with unnatural detail). There's nothing really new here, so if you liked the first season you'll happily welcome this second one - if you hated the previous one however, you'd better avoid this.

On the note of continuing past series, the sequel to To Aru Majutsu no Index has started. Not seen the first episode yet, but I'm very excited! This light novel-based series shares a universe with To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, owing to the fact that the latter is technically the side story (NOT a spin-off) to the former. Since I don't really have anything to say about the new series yet, I'll point to my previous posts about both Index and Railgun if you want to know more.

Looking back at my previous post there's some others we finished recently:
  • Fullmetal Alchemist 2 finished along with the manga. Very good and very satisfying. A note to anime-only people: the last volume of the manga includes a final chapter, officially titled Epilogue but it's actually just a side-story, although set after the series conclusion. You can find it on MangaStream if you're interested.
  • Working!! was a nice yonkoma-based anime and stayed fun through to the end, but the ending was a pretty standard (and somewhat cliché) way of implying that a second season is out of the question. Too bad.
  • Arakawa Under the Bridge never ceased to amaze us with its sheer absurdity. The good part is that a second season was recently confirmed!
Series we started watching since the last post and are still watching:
  • Occult Academy is a nice combination of the occult, impending apocalyptic doomsday scenarios and (who better than the Japanese to combine these) silly humour. The plot centers around a teenage girl with a severe dislike for anything related to the occult, inheriting the director's seat to an occult-ridden school when her father dies under questionable circumstances (simple summary: involving spirits) in 1999, working together with a time-traveller from the apocalyptic 2012 to find a way to stop the future apocalypse based on Nostradamus' prophecy about a certain King of Terror coming down from the sky during that period. There's some ridiculous character designs in here, mixed with some oddly standard ones, which makes for great light-hearted comedy.
  • Shiki is an atmospheric thriller about a small village 'surrounded by death' (i.e. cemetaries and forests whose trees are used to make coffins) struck by a deadly epidemic shortly after a mysterious family moves into an equally mysterious and out-of-place castle nearby. The characters (realistically) take some time to realize the cause, but a viewer will easily deduce from the deaths involving 'bug bites' and anemia what this village has to deal with. Even so, the series remains confounding both before and after this discovery is made and the peculiar plot remains interesting.
  • Highschool of the Dead. Yes, you read that correctly, and yes, it's as bad as you probably think. No scratch that - worse. This series has repeatedly had me wonder why we even still watch it, the atrocity that it is, because even for an all-out zombie series (happily outright admitting that it goes by every possible stereotype right from the beginning) it has some questionable moments. Most of those involve the director's and animators' obsessions with the more extrusive parts of the female body. In other words, the series emphasizes one thing more than blood, and that's boobs. Some mutantly sized ones at that. Look through the overload of borderline ecchi-to-ero and the characters actually do make for some interesting material, but the lack of quality quickly starts to dawn on you as soon as you watch more than one episode in a week (hinted by the fact that the first flashback episode was the third one - I wish I was kidding).
And some old favourites:
  • Fairy Tail is currently in what I like to call the Fighting Festival arc, and after this it's on to one of the best and most significant arcs of the series so far, the Oración Seis arc. It's still pretty good and a good reminder of how good One Piece used to be (see below). It does suffer from the same problems in some way though, mostly in the sense that they child-appeal factor had to go up which means a ridiculous lack of blood (none at all, even when someone gets a lethal hit from a huge beast which looks like it would fracture every bone in her body) and a thin filter on some of the darker parts of character backgrounds. Nevertheless, I hope that the rumours of impending cancellation will be disproven, since basically every fan feels like saying "I object! There's a brilliant bit coming up." (Cookies for those that get the reference.)
  • One Piece's anime is, as I've mentioned several times before by now, currently at a low point. The current arc centers around the most epic battle (a true war in fact) of the whole series and yet its portrayal makes you think you're back in the Morgan arc (not in the least because of the severely oversized emphasis on Coby and Helmeppo whom you'll remember from those very first episodes). If you care for the story, you definitely should keep watching as that seems to be the only thing that still stands (probably because it's about the only thing the anime folks don't have to change for the adaptation). However if you want quality, go to the manga. And not in the last place because that one seems to be going for a new high point even though the series has already gone so high this was not previously deemed humanly possible. :)

I bet I forgot some stuff but I realize that I've been typing way more than I meant to already (a recurring theme it seems) so that's all for tonight. Maybe more tomorrow.

Jelco

Return to “Introversion Lounge”