Stop Press : copies of Darwinia sold

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Stop Press : copies of Darwinia sold

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:40 pm

Sales of Darwinia have been experiencing something of a second wind during the last couple of weeks. Vic has been working tirelessly to push the game really hard to various magazines and websites and it finally seems to be paying off. There's a strange feeling at Introversion at the moment - it feels like we've finally picked up some momentum after the false start in March, and we've got a number of projects that are well on their way coming out soon, and a few more that are currently top secret.

The new demo is undergoing beta testing and final polishing as we speak, and should be ready within the next week or two. After a lot of doubts and second guessing and worry we've finally found our feet, and we can't wait to release the new demo, hopefully to a massive Internet wide standing ovation.

Well, maybe quiet applause.

Here are some of the reviews and articles that have popped up recently:

- Firstly, Darwinia was reviewed on Gamespot, scoring 8.5 out of 10. From their review: "Darwinia is a brilliant and addictive experience that's unlike anything you've played before." Click here to read the review.

- Tom and his team finally finished work on the new online store download system around the same time. Customers can now pay their money and download the game (Uplink or Darwinia) immediately. We still ship the boxed copies to them (we think the packaging of our games is important, but we'll probably offer the option to do without soon and save the shipping costs), but they don't need to wait. This new store has clearly had a big impact, with around 2/3 of all our customers downloading their games within an hour. And since Darwinia is 30Mb and Uplink is 20Mb, it doesn't take very long.

- PC Gamer this month features a wonderfull two page article written by Tom Francis, practically begging readers to buy Darwinia. This is clearly having an effect - there's a thread on the PC Gamer forums here talking about. We'll try to get scans/pdfs for you soon.

- The Podcast Network put on a program called The Gaming Show and talked about Darwinia recently in episode 4. Click here to listen. Darwinia is discussed for a few minutes starting at 32 minutes into the show.

- Just Adventure reviewed the game, giving it an A grade. Click here to read the review.

- Game Brains wrote an absolutely fantastic review. Click here to read it. I haven't seen this game website before and its definately worth keeping an eye on. I love this sort of writing - this is one of my favourite review quotes for Darwinia so far: (up there with Kieron Gillens real-time-metaphysics I think)
"It's the screaming that gets you. Most videogame characters expire with cartoonish grunts and moans. Darwinians go out with a terrible, blood-curdling noise that makes you think that in their moment of death they are each vocalizing the deep existential horror that comes with the instant realization of one's forthcoming non-existence."

- Darwinia was reviewed by 2404.org, scoring 9.1 out of 10. Another great review - click here to read it.

- Australian GamePro Magazine gave Darwinia an astonishing 9.5 out of 10, and their Editors Choice Award. Click here to read a scan, reprinted here with their kind permission.

- Darwinia was reviewed by Deeko, scoring 9.5 out of 10. Click here to read the review, and/or listen to the audio version.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:42 pm

Careful, don't jinx it!

edit, oh yeah,

Chris wrote:We'll try to get scans/pdfs for you soon.

*cough*
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Ian Wood
level1
level1

Postby Ian Wood » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:46 pm

Yay, hope it keeps up.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:52 pm

I've been pimping out Darwinia, and Uplink, to listeners of my show on MMO Radio. So hopefully there will be a few more coming your way.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:01 pm

Three things:

1) Congratulations on more great reviews, and on better sales. I am heartened to hear that Darwinia sales are picking up, and that things may not be looking so grim. To be honest, my heart skipped a beat when you said that IV would not be around next year. IV makes great games, and is surrounded by a wonderful group of fans, creating a rather warm and inviting community. I worried me to learn that it might not survive, and I am glad that things are looking better.

2) A question (in two parts). First, when the 1.3 patch is released for Mac, will it include all of the buildings included in the new demo? From what the beta testers have said, these buildings offer some rather unique possibilities for modding. I assume that the answer to this question is yes, but I would love to hear it from the horse's mouth. In a related question, will the new demo be released as a mod, so that us Mac users can see what all the fuss is about? or is there any chance that Ambrosia could be convinced to use the new demo, rather than their scheme of showing off the first couple of levels?

3) Another question: is there a timetable for the release of the Mac patch? It worries me that the Windows patch is nearly complete, but the Mac patch has not even made it to testing, nor has there been a call for Mac testers, nor has there been any announcement that a Mac 1.3 patch will even exist.

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:14 pm

Xander has a good point: will you release a beta patch with the code for the new fuel pumps soon?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:29 pm

I'm not thinking so... the mac demo works differently than the PC one already (You download the full game, but can't access stuff past containment until you register).

However, I would assume that the 1.3 patch would also have these items in there, perhaps the reason that it hasn't been released yet, so that the same bugs can be worked out of Demo2 first.

Nevertheless, I would anticipate a wait for the mac patch. Remember how slow it was last time...
Pentadact
level1
level1

Postby Pentadact » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:08 am

The GoldFish wrote:Careful, don't jinx it!

edit, oh yeah,

Chris wrote:We'll try to get scans/pdfs for you soon.

*cough*

Chris is being nice and not linking those scans because they've been put up without our permission, and the issue with the piece in is on-sale at the moment. We'll be happy to give permission when the issue's off-sale.

-

Tom
PCG
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:24 am

Hence, cough :P

If you want them or the link gone, just say, you don't need to justify that - we do know this stuff; it's there as a discreet reference for those reading the news post whom are interested and missed it, cause I know Chris can't link them. It isn't intended as an advertisement for them to be uploaded to IV's site. I just thought '*cough*' summed that up better.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:00 am

Hurrah for Iv's and PCG's semi-something marriage of love for gaming!

Or some such.

I do apologise for the scans, as it didn't even occur to me about the fact that I might be hurting your sales (which would be a bit stupid and not nice of me to do, as well as a bit ironic due to the nature of the article scanned!), so if you wish them to be removed, they are gone!

I just wanted to show the good people on the forums how much you really do love Iv!

Otherwise, well done Iv! Get those people's money! \o/
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Rogness
level0

Postby Rogness » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:05 pm

Guys, thank you for this game. Any improved sales are truly a sign that God does exist!

I played the demo and loved it to death, but I didn't buy the game... :oops: . Reading Tom's piece in PCG got me off my, admittedly gorgeous, backside and off to your online supermarket to answer the rallying call.

All this recent attention really is credit where credit's due and I hope that it continues because PC games need this. PC's are the last beacon of imagination, and invention, in the video games industry and we need people like you to keep feeding our love.

p.s. Sorry if this is in an inappropriate thread, gushing praise and all that, but I've had just a bit too much cider to read through all the other topics!
Geddon me 'an'some!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:25 pm

Rogness wrote:...p.s. Sorry if this is in an inappropriate thread, gushing praise and all that, but I've had just a bit too much cider to read through all the other topics!

We love gushing, and we love to hear that you paid for the game. Gush on, my compatriot, gush on. And welcome to the boards. Wipe your feet on the way in.

xander

Return to “Introversion News”