Some wonderful new reviews

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Some wonderful new reviews

Postby Chris » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:09 pm

The world of UK games journalism is a strange one. Of course we read all the printed reviews of Darwinia. What perhaps isn't widely known is that a lot of the writers for these magazines have blogs of their own (presumably because they enjoy writing), and any comments about Darwinia on those blogs are fascinating because they are so uncensored and unconcerned with the "usual format" of a games review.

I've only just discovered the blog of Tom Francis (one of the writers and disk editor of PC Gamer UK) and he's got some lovely writings on Darwinia. Those nasty guys at the Mag would only let him write a short mini-article in the Extra-Life section, but on his own page he's free to say what he wants, and there's no need for any of that clumsy percentage score nonsense. Have a look here for some very intelligent and perceptive analysis of our game. Some nice quotes:
"There's a very pointed passing of the buck to the community, and an encoded admission of the limitations of a small developer relative next to the creative powerhouse that is their cult following. Like nearly everything about Darwinia, it's satisfyingly digital, heart-warmingly organic and profoundly intelligent."
"This is the Deus Ex of strategy, a wildly ambitious Whole New Thing that fuses an ecclectic mix of existing elements in such a clever and excitingly open-ended way that the result soars over the achievements of its precursors."

Darwinia was reviewed recently by the Home of the Underdogs, a fantastic site for finding lost/ignored gaming gems. Slightly ominious, we'd prefer mainstream commercial success of course, but I guess it's not going to happen anytime soon. Our user score so far is 9.55 out of 10. Read the article here.

Darwinia was also recently reviewed by ferrago, scoring an awesome 95%. Read the two page review here. Slightly long quote:
"This is the kind of game that everyone should at least experience for themselves and that any self-respecting gamer really should have as part of their collection. In a world where the franchise and licensed product reigns supreme and gigantic publishers stride around with an arrogantly regurgatative attitude towards games development that is steadily stripping gaming of any sense of wonder that it once had, (breathe) it is so utterly refreshing to play a title such as Darwinia."

We currently have three tasks underway whice have been quite heavily delayed....the Mac 1.2 patch, the new online store/download system, and the new posters. Apologies for everyone who is waiting for these. Things are a little aimless at Introversion HQ at the moment, with a lot of disagreement about where we should be heading next, but fingers crossed we will pull through. If only you members of the general public would pay more attention to us!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:59 pm

GO for the download thing first then the MAC patch then the posters. Great reviews everywhere I go except that everyone of my mates who sees it says 'err, look at the graphics'. Personally I love them on 'need an upgrade' but hey...
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:46 pm

martin wrote:GO for the download thing first then the MAC patch then the posters. Great reviews everywhere I go except that everyone of my mates who sees it says 'err, look at the graphics'. Personally I love them on 'need an upgrade' but hey...

I'm not sure thats the direction that IV would want IMO. The Mac users *really* need the patch, as the game is nearly unplayable due to framerate issues, something the 1.2 patch has addressed.
The store should be next, and then the new posters, as you have to have a store to sell them in.

However, good luck to you all, and keep it together.

NeoThermic
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:36 pm

I don't have a mac so you know, i didn't realise it was quite that bad. So yeah, go for the patch first and leave the posters until the very last.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
atze
level1
level1

Postby atze » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:56 pm

yup,
either give us (maccies) the patch, or give me back the money i spent in the ambrosia online store.

i want to kick those virii, but hell - i can't without a patch making it work on a 1.6GHz G4!
kahrlmetalworks
level0

Postby kahrlmetalworks » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:37 pm

We really need the Mac patch. I love the game so much, but when I spend ages wrestling with an abysmal framerate in Pattern Buffer only to have the game lock up when I do the wrong thing with an Officer or Armour....rrrrg!

I know you guys need to get paid, and I respect that. Just remember that Ambrosia will have an easier time selling your software when it is less buggy.

Edit: Let me rephrase that to sound less critical, 'cuz I think you cats are a spectacular bunch. Ambrosia has a passionate following and should have no trouble selling your wonderful software, but will have an even easier time once the various issues are resolved.

-Allin
robm15
level0

Postby robm15 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:38 am

Yes, help out the mac users first, loyal followers are those you watch out for. Then the online store, we want you to make a ton of cash. Then the posters. Posters are neat, but gaming is better.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:21 am

\o/

YAY!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:13 pm

Yay reviews!
Yay Mac patch!
Yay posters!

xander
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:35 pm

Yay! I hope by the time they get to doing the posters, they don't leave out the dogtags as was mentioned a couple of months back. Posters are great, but you can't wear them around to show your pride as a 'Darwinia trooper'. ^_^
Andcarne
level4
level4

Postby Andcarne » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:04 am

Hopefully the mac patch won't be too much longer. Last I saw of it it was looking pretty close to completion. Hopefully it'll be enough to quell the complaints.

I can't wait to see the online store too, since I think it should increase sales considerably.

And of course, I await news of <the next next game>. ;)
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:56 am

andcarne wrote:And of course, I await news of <the next next game>. ;)

Don't hold your breath :P

Anyway, roll on Mac Patch, so they can experience the awesome of custom text modding! \o/

Return to “Introversion News”