Darwinia reduced in price to £19.99

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Darwinia reduced in price to £19.99

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:01 pm

We have lowered the price of Darwinia to just £19.99 plus delivery, which we think is an absolute bargain. Delivery costs for the UK will be £1.50. In other currencies the price will be $29.99 plus $3.00 delivery for the USA, or 29.99 euros plus 2 euros delivery for Europe. We think this is excellent value for money and we're hoping you will agree.

This will be matched by a drop in price in the UK high street.

We are in the process of building a new online Introversion store, which will be coming online soon. We've relied on Worldpay for long enough and we all feel its about time we had a proper shopping system with cart, checkout, order tracking etc etc. We actually have a number of different products for sale over the Introversion site now (Uplink, UplinkMac, UplinkDevCD, Darwinia, DarwiniaPoster), and more to come, so it really was a requirement. We've seperated the delivery costs out for the first time (normally we include them directly in the price), because the new store will be dealing with seperate delivery costs allowing people to order multiple products and save a little money.

If you happen to know anyone who was put off Darwinia by the £30 price tag, please mention to them that its now available for £20 and they should pick it up asap.
darren1
level0

Postby darren1 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:13 pm

Typical, and after a week since I paid full price for it.
Good news in general though, should get more players in.
darren1

For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:16 pm

That's... unexpected.

What factors made you decide to drop the price (if you don't mind me asking)?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:18 pm

this angers me and I want my $10 back. :P
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:50 pm

Darksun wrote:That's... unexpected.

What factors made you decide to drop the price (if you don't mind me asking)?

I hope not bad sales.

I hope IV are rich and decided to be extra nice to poor players.
martin
level5
level5

Hmmm. }:-(

Postby martin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:00 pm

Seems to me that introversion ripped of all their hardcore supporters and then lowered the price to get as much money from everyone else as possible.

As much as I love introversion games I'm a little annoyed at this.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:27 pm

Everyone dose that, its called bargen bins. But prove IV are trying somthing nasty?
danielwellsfloyd
level2
level2

Postby danielwellsfloyd » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:30 pm

Do you guys have anything nice to say about it?

Good job, IV!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Re: Hmmm. }:-(

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:32 pm

martin wrote:Seems to me that introversion ripped of all their hardcore supporters

Um, I don't feel ripped off.

Conjecture; it could be all the undercutting the external retailers have been doing. (we all know this anyway, but it's not in tiny white letters)

Lowering the price a month after release is always going to result in negative speculation...
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:58 pm

I think it's a good thing! Games should be this price! Better than EA Games' latest release, whatever it may be, you can guarantee it'll be £40 or something ridiculous...
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
robm15
level0

Re: Hmmm. }:-(

Postby robm15 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:05 pm

martin wrote:Seems to me that introversion ripped of all their hardcore supporters and then lowered the price to get as much money from everyone else as possible.

As much as I love introversion games I'm a little annoyed at this.

I don't blame you for being annoyed, but have you ever seen anything that didn't enter the market at a comparably higher price, that wasn't reduced later? Early adapters always pay for their desires, always... :roll:
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:17 pm

Well, Uplink actually increased in price after its release. . .

It is odd this reduction comes so soon after release. I would be curious to know what brought on this price drop. :)
Tom
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Tom » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:21 pm

Some retailers were selling Darwinia at £17.99 - we can't build a business selling products at 35% more than other retailers. These other retailers are tied into the UK shop launch. We could either sell online only, shop only, or do what we do, and sell to both. We're a small business, and therefore need to spread the eggs - but as you can see, there are compromises.

Sales in the UK High street were beginning to slow, so a price drop there was inevitable. We would have preferred to keep Darwinia at a higher price point to recoup some of the development costs and extend our marketing budgets, but you have to go with market forces.

In any case, things have changed a lot since Uplink - I read a statistic recently that just 2% of last year's game sales in the US were for PC! The future for IV has to involve console releases. We need an Xbox deal for Darwinia, and the way to ensure that we get one is to sell high volumes of Darwinia PC.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:24 pm

It makes even more sense now! Although I prefer to eschew the Xbox, it would definitely help sales, and IV would be noticed by Xbox fans too...
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:25 pm

2%?

Eeee. I knew that console gamers outnumbered PC gamers, but 2% seems shockingly small. I guess we're a dying breed :(

Return to “Introversion News”