New Windows demo available

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

New Windows demo available

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:46 pm

We have finished working on the new demo and have released it for download. The new demo is the same level as the previous demo, but it now includes a detailed tutorial designed to guide new players through the basics.

The new demo also includes a couple of fixes that should solve the registry problems some users experienced - eg the "Failed to get CPU vendor" and "Error reading registry value".

You can download the new demo from our downloads page.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:55 pm

Yay! I wonder how long the server caves in from the stress of all the people who didn't understand the first version downloading it ;)
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:14 pm

Icepick wrote:Yay! I wonder how long the server caves in from the stress of all the people who didn't understand the first version downloading it ;)

Hopefully the modifications John and I made to the forums yesterday will help keep these running...

NeoThermic
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:17 pm

I've made a torrent, available at http://www.filerush.com/download.php?ta ... o-v1.1.exe .

I wanted to make sure it'd all uploaded to the tracker before posting it here.

[EDIT]Changed direct torrent link to summary page link - don't want to deprive them of advertising revenue.[/EDIT]
Don't think about The Game.
vogelap
level2
level2

Postby vogelap » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:46 pm

I downloaded and installed the 1.1 demo. A few things...

* There is a typo on the first dialog of the tutorial... "I thought i'd terminated all external connections." There should be a capital "i" in "I'd" and instead it's lower-case. Also, it would be nice if the speaker introduced himself in the demo.

* Pressing the TAB key no longer shows the list of previous tutorial messages -- at least not while the tutorial is running. Perhaps this behavior can be adjusted so the TAB key shows the list of previous messages during the tutorial -- this may be very important for new users as they learn their way around the place!

* The tutorial instructs you: "To select your Squad, hold ALT and press the TAB key until the squad is selected". On my system, ALT+TAB allows me to select between running processes on Windows. Pressing ALT+CTRL+TAB (while being very finger-gymnastic-intensive) performs the function as described.
vogelap
level2
level2

Postby vogelap » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:58 pm

Another small typo... "Okay, i'll let you get on with it" -- the "i" in "I'll" should be capitalized. This message is when the user hits "t" to exit the tutorial.

I like the addition of the tutorial in the demo very much. It reveals the environment and the beginning of the story very nicely.
Pegas[CZ]
level1
level1

Postby Pegas[CZ] » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:41 pm

Dave2 wrote:I've made a torrent, available at http://www.filerush.com/download.php?ta ... o-v1.1.exe .

I wanted to make sure it'd all uploaded to the tracker before posting it here.

[EDIT]Changed direct torrent link to summary page link - don't want to deprive them of advertising revenue.[/EDIT]

oh yeah, thanks! much better
and i hope it helps IV server... keep seeding til release!
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:15 pm

I'm still seeding the 1.0 demo :P. Not planning on stopping either.
Don't think about The Game.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:11 pm

vogelap wrote:* The tutorial instructs you: "To select your Squad, hold ALT and press the TAB key until the squad is selected". On my system, ALT+TAB allows me to select between running processes on Windows. Pressing ALT+CTRL+TAB (while being very finger-gymnastic-intensive) performs the function as described.

Well, thats cos you probably have silly powertools... It should be Alt-Tab on any system, as thats how it was designed! :P
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:34 pm

Yeah, we recently discovered that Alt+Tab issues are caused by the Windows Powertoy Alt+Tab exention. You can fix the problem by shutting down the process 'taskswitch.exe'.
vogelap
level2
level2

Postby vogelap » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:59 pm

Will there be a fix for that, or will users have to exit TaskSwitch.exe every time?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:48 am

vogelap wrote:Pressing ALT+CTRL+TAB (while being very finger-gymnastic-intensive) performs the function as described.

Ha! I hadn't even thought of the gymnastics you must go through on some keyboards until today. On most of the keyboards that I work on, [CTRL] and [ALT] are right next to eachother, thus you can hit both with your thumb, and use some other finger for [TAB]. What is between [CTRL] and [ALT]? is it that funky little Windows key that pops up the start menu? You poor bastards.

And, as long as I posting on this topic:

[nag]
When is the official Mac demo coming out?
[/nag]

xander
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:49 am

vogelap wrote:Will there be a fix for that, or will users have to exit TaskSwitch.exe every time?

At the moment, yes =/
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:20 pm

[nag]
When is the official Mac demo coming out?
[/nag]

when its done ;p
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:18 pm

My task manager contains:

[quote=task manager]

explorer
icmon