Darwinia wins EIEF 'Peoples Choice' award

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Darwinia wins EIEF 'Peoples Choice' award

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:39 pm

We are delighted to announce that Darwinia has won the 'Peoples Choice' award from this years Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival (EIEF). Darwinia was voted into first place by readers of Edge Magazine, and attendees of the EIEF. Darwinia successfully beat off competition from such massive games as Half Life 2 and Rome:Total War, and our sources on the inside tell us Darwinia actually won by a fairly significant margin.

The results are as follows:

1st Darwinia
2nd Resident Evil 4
3rd Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
4th Half-Life 2
5th Yoshi's Touch & Go
6th Daigasso! Band Brothers
7th God Of War
8th Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
9th Lego Star Wars
10th Rome: Total War

Thank you very much for voting for us in the Peoples Choice Award. Edinburgh is one our favourite cities in the whole world, and we are glad we WERE there.

Read the full story at Edge Online.

In other news...
Way back in May 2005 Edge Magazine printed a short article written by Chris about getting into the games industry. The article was part of a suppliment that appeared in the June 2005 issue of Edge Magazine. You can now read the full suppliment online here. Chris's article can be read by clicking here. Warning: If you dream about getting into the games industry....well, you might not after you've read this.

Tom's sister Vic has been tirelessly pushing our game to every games mag in the world (a big job, let us assure you) and i've fallen way behind on updating the site. Here are the latest review scores that have come in over the past month or two:

- Darwinia was reviewed by Game Guru Mania, scoring 86%. Click here to read the review.

- Darwinia was reviewed by GameZone, scoring 9 out of 10. Click here to read the review.

- Darwinia was reviewed by ESCMag, scoring 9 out of 10. Click here to read the review.

- Darwinia was reviewed by Cosmos Gaming, scoring 8.5 out of 10. Click here to read the review.

- Darwinia was reviewed by GameAxis, scoring 9.1 out of 10. Click here to read the review.

- Darwinia was reviewed by The Home of the Underdogs. There is no official score, but the reader score currently stands at 9.46/10 . Click here to read the article.

- Finally, we've had a few emails from people who sampled Darwinia after reading a blog called Dubious Quality. Head over to the article about Darwinia and you'll find a well written and gushing report on the games strengths and weaknesses. And I think we'll finish this over-long news post with some quotes from that article that just make our hearts leap with joy that someone out there appreciates our work, even if the mainstream gaming public don't want to listen.

"Darwinia was developed by Introversion Software, who obviously didn’t get the memo about innovation dying in game development. They have developed one of the most conceptually beautiful, visually striking games ever made. A decade from now, it will still be mentioned in reverent tones, a game so good that it is beyond time."

"In a word: sensational. It's the best PC game so far this year, and there isn't a second place...Darwinia is a triumph, the stunning result of untethered imagination."
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:48 pm

Again, congrats IV.

xander
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:20 pm

Gotta says, one truely deserved glowing review there, Chris.

What mostly separates you from the "rest" is the fact that even though the game is "done" and gold-master'd, you don't see it as actually done, and keep adding to playability. Then you give us a chance to do the same (Dev mods).

I hope that never changes, because that's the only reason I'm here. Normally, I hate games. But this has allowed me to let my own creative juices flow ;)
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:24 pm

Can I stop voting now? ;)

Its cool that Darwinia did it. It must feel great to be noticed by the larger public :)

NeoThermic
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:26 pm

How can the public not notice it? You saw the colour of the box! ;)
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:26 pm

Darwinia is simply one of the best Real Time Strategies I've played this year. Congrats, IV.
Starfyre
level5
level5

Postby Starfyre » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:35 pm

Congrats to IV on all the positive feedback! Now, for the multiplayer. *coughs*

Kidding. *waves little IV flag*
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:48 pm

\o/

Darwinia > HL2. OFFICIALLY!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:42 pm

Congrats guys!

PCGamer UK never did publish its reader ranking which I am sure IV won too. Nice to see IV getting some well deserved recongnition. :)
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:28 pm

Excellent News!

You should get W00T written on the darwinia homepage...

Anyway. 'Gratz.
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:20 am

lol modify the background image to have W00T streaming across it!
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:41 am

elDiablo wrote:Darwinia > HL2. OFFICIALLY!

But doesn't this mean that basically, Darwinia > *?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:46 am

Miah Helpmann wrote:
elDiablo wrote:Darwinia > HL2. OFFICIALLY!

But doesn't this mean that basically, Darwinia > *?

Only if you are some shut in Korean teenager with no life.

I mean I would certainly not say Darwinia > women or any of a host of other real life things. :)
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:01 am

Well, I was refering to in the gaming sense. Even there, I don't know much of it. It was just a joke, sense Darwinia ended up being number one.

I actually don't play games much. Uplink, Darwinia, and two other games in existance intrigued me enough to play longer than a few minutes.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:05 am

I know that.

You just have to be careful with the "*"; it is a very powerful symbol. Just because you have a life doesn't mean everyone else in gaming communities does.

I actually haven't played any of the games on the list other than Darwinia and even that I played during the beta.

Return to “Introversion News”