Phase 1 Beta Testing begins

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Phase 1 Beta Testing begins

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:13 pm

We are very pleased to announce that beta testing has begun on Darwinia, starting with phase 1. The intention of phase 1 is to perform a hardware compatability test on as much hardware as possible - so the beta version currently available for download to testers contains only one level - the demo level. It's not entirely finished and it's a little rough around the edges, but we think it's ready for testing. The help system is enabled in game, but there is no readme or manual, so you'll have to figure some of it out for yourselves at first. We'll be lurking in the forums to help.

We have selected around 100 applicants to be phase 1 testers and they have been informed by email how to proceed. If you have received the email then congratulations...if not, then we're very sorry, but obviously only a fraction of applicants can be selected at this time. We intend to hire new applicants in batches of 100, roughly once every month, until we are confident the game is running successfully on as much hardware as possible. So if you didn't make it to phase 1 this time, there's a good chance you'll get in eventually.

Instructions for beta testers are all available at the Beta Test section of this website. The bug tracking forums are now open to beta testers, so you can begin reporting bugs immediately. Please take the time to read our instructions before you dive in.

If you're worried your spam filter swallowed your confirmation email, or your mailbox is full, or whatever, you can verify by going to the beta test pages and clicking on the download button. It will only allow verified testers to proceed.

Thanks to everyone who applied to be a tester. We hope you all enjoy our game.
Superpig
level4
level4

Postby Superpig » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:35 pm

I can't figure out where I upload my system information file.
Superpig
- Saving pigs from untimely fates
The ZoRo
level2
level2

Postby The ZoRo » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:44 pm

Good luck to the testers

/ZoRo
benh
level1
level1

Postby benh » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:47 pm

I'm probably being really stupid, but I can't find where to put the created file either ^_^;;
what?
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:51 pm

I'll third that, the only link on that page goes to the sysinfo tool.. but thank you for accepting me as a tester :D Kinda bad timing though, since I'm moving and will be without my PC for a week or so - although I could always test it on my father's PC I suppose..

Andrew
"An eye for an eye and the world will soon be blind" - Gandhi
Jesse
level1
level1

Postby Jesse » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:54 pm

Thanks for selecting me as a test.

Benh, with the sys info tool you can select your output of the file, select the directory and click ok, the file will be named "sysinfo", that's the output.

About uploading the file, I can't seem to find the spot to do it either... :\
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:59 pm

Hmm very strange indeed.
This is the page you're supposed to go to:
http://www.darwinia.co.uk/betatest/download.html

There should be two buttons at the bottom. One of them is labelled "Sys Info Tool" and points to the system information tool. The other is labelled "Download beta" and takes you to a page where you can do just that.

Can you guys not see those links or something?
goweb
level3
level3

Postby goweb » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:00 pm

After checking the source of the actual download page, it appears that the upload form has been commented out.
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:02 pm

Chris, when you click the Download Beta link, it goes to the forum page where it explains what the beta is (incomplete demo), then has a header saying "Update system information" - and goes on to say that you need to upload a sysinfo file with the tool it links to, but that's all - no explanation of exactly where to upload that sysinfo file and therefore how to nab the beta test itself.

Andrew
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:03 pm

Ive done the system info thingy, but then when you go to the download beta page, all i get is:

This build is a beta version of the DEMO level...it contains only one level which is not entirely finished. This build is available to all phase 1 beta testers. The primary purpose of phase 1 is to test hardware compatability.

Update system information

Before you can download this file, you will need to submit a system information file. You can download the tool to generate this system info file at this link.

Theres no where to download the beta or submit the sysinfo file.
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan
Winners of Storm and Destory CTF
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:04 pm

goweb wrote:After checking the source of the actual download page, it appears that the upload form has been commented out.

Ah, this could present an issue :P

Andrew
Shigsy
level2
level2

Postby Shigsy » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:09 pm

I ran the file and it said "Failed to get CPU info(2)"
Did this happen to anybody else? :?
IRA Soldat Clan | The 13479 person to join the forums | Some other important stuff.
TimTim
level4
level4

Postby TimTim » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:11 pm

The non-ability to upload sysinfo file and thus non-abilty to download is a slight problem, but if you get the source locally and edit the paths and uncomment out the upload section, that could work.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:11 pm

Could somebody post a screenshot of the beta download page please...it would really help.
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:12 pm

Here ya go
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan

Winners of Storm and Destory CTF

Return to “Introversion News”