The Fight of the Century?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

The Fight of the Century?

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:32 pm

Please read before posting a reply. Thank you.

Here's your chance to get involved in what should turn out to be one hell of a game. We all know that feeling of satisfaction that comes with decimating the world with our arsenal of LRBMs, MRBMs, and SRBMs. Now just think, wouldn't that moment of complete victory be just as bright as that final mushroom cloud that puts you at the top of the scoreboard if those you crushed were well versed in Defcon tactics and strategy? Those who have proven they have what it takes to turn your territory into one large uninhabitable wasteland! You know it would!

So what are you waiting for? If you want to get in on the action, post your game name here and it will be placed on the list.
  • Only you can get yourself on the list, so speak up!
  • This game will be open for entry until Saturday 12 midnight (GMT -5), March 10th.
  • Once the entry time has closed, you will be able to nominate those that are on the list.
  • You will be able to nominate two separate players other than yourself.
  • You will only be able to nominate players who have requested to be included on this list.
  • Nominations will be open from Sunday, March 11th until Saturday 12 midnight (GMT -05:00 Eastern Time), March 17th.
  • A separate thread will be started for nominations at that time, please wait till then as none shall count until the appointed time.
  • The actual game date and time will be agreed upon by the top 8 nominated players. 6 players and 2 reserve players.
  • Should one of the top 6 not be able to join once the game date/time is set, they should notify the top nominated reserve player as soon as possible.
  • Out of the top 6, the player with the most reliable and capable connection will be appointed host.
  • Spectators will be welcome!
The list will be updated regularly with interested players and then total votes for each player during the respective open periods. Ideally, a post game briefing with screen shots and comments by all players will be available.

Game Settings: The ultimate and specific purpose of this game is to place 1st on the scoreboard.

Here are my suggestions, feel free to provide yours.
  1. Six player FFA (free for all), no official alliances. Player can use deception and private alliances, but never officially "join". That is after all, one of the great elements of Defcon.
  2. 200m Population
  3. 20 cities
  4. Random Territories
  5. No Variable Units
  6. Victory Trigger: 20
  7. Victory Timer: 50
  8. Slowest Speed: Realtime

Good luck to all! Suggestions for a server name would be great.
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:36 pm

Ok I nominate myself! :)
btw can we replace player names with numbers until after the game? ( that way rofl wouldn't know its me and couldn't counter my tactics :o )
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:40 pm

caranthir.pkk wrote:Ok I nominate myself! :)
btw can we replace player names with numbers until after the game? ( that way rofl wouldn't know its me and couldn't counter my tactics :o )

No! :wink: That would defeat the purpose of the game! Besides, because there's 4 other good/great/excellent players, you'd both have to contend with their tactics as well, making it useless to try and counter just one player. That's also assuming you both will be there. :wink:
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Thats lesson no1 in the game:
You gotta force your tactics on the enemy, not vice versa :)
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:16 pm

I'm in. I have the utmost faith that I'll lose.

I don't always intend to play devil's advocate but I think it would take a lot of games with a strict and consistent ruleset to pick out one player.

Let's say it's a 6 player game, and beforehand 1,2 and 3 decide they're going to kill whoever is 4 first and knock him out. Now 4 is probably dead meat and 1,2,3 have used up some of their arsenals...

I find this tactic works awesome for Russia if you can get Africa/NA to only hit airbases and cities on Europe. That way when it's retailiation time against Russia, Europe's silos are still shooting stuff down.....blah blah blah.

I love the idea Ace, but I just think a fair implementation would be a big challenge :lol:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:24 pm

roflamingo wrote:I'm in. I have the utmost faith that I'll lose.

And so you are. :D

roflamingo wrote:I don't always intend to play devil's advocate but I think it would take a lot of games with a strict and consistent rule set to pick out one player.

Let's say it's a 6 player game, and beforehand 1,2 and 3 decide they're going to kill whoever is 4 first and knock him out. Now 4 is probably dead meat and 1,2,3 have used up some of their arsenals...

I find this tactic works awesome for Russia if you can get Africa/NA to only hit airbases and cities on Europe. That way when it's retaliation time against Russia, Europe's silos are still shooting stuff down.....blah blah blah.

I love the idea Ace, but I just think a fair implementation would be a big challenge :lol:

I agree with this view a little, however in virtually all fields of competition you could argue the same. And if it takes off, then there'll be plenty of games to compare over time. With 6 good players, that's a BIG if you've got there. (the 1,2,3 against 4)

I totally agree about the strict rule set. Thus my proposed game settings are listed above. Now is the time to come to an agreement about them.

Edit: I know you're out there Feud... :wink:
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:37 pm

I nominate myself. Also it would be kind of neat to have the top three then battle it out on their own with each haveing two territories with the same settings above.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:42 pm

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:I nominate myself. Also it would be kind of neat to have the top three then battle it out on their own with each having two territories with the same settings above.

Well, you can't nominate yourself, just make it known you want in on the game. :wink: and you're in already...

Edit: that top three game could be possible depending on the players. I've never played with more than one territory.
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:45 pm

caranthir.pkk, I would like to play you sometime as I have played the others at one time or another. I also would like to know what I am up against. When might I be able to play you. I am in EST if you were wondering.
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 pm

Chuck my name on the list. It all rather depends on when the match is on if I can make it, but we'll see.
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:31 am

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:caranthir.pkk, I would like to play you sometime as I have played the others at one time or another. I also would like to know what I am up against. When might I be able to play you. I am in EST if you were wondering.

I am GMT+1, mostly play during the day or late at night ;) you can add me in icq 44103549 if you got it :p we can play sometime.

car
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:08 am

Eight players and counting...
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:09 am

caranthir.pkk wrote:
Sirthomasthegreat wrote:caranthir.pkk, I would like to play you sometime as I have played the others at one time or another. I also would like to know what I am up against. When might I be able to play you. I am in EST if you were wondering.

I am GMT+1, mostly play during the day or late at night ;) you can add me in icq 44103549 if you got it :p we can play sometime.

car

Right now I am drawing a blank as to what icq is.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:18 am

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... arch&meta=

Also www.icq.com

It's basically Messenger/AIM-style messaging stuff. The usual fare. I used to be on there; it's quite sad that I still know my number from 6 years ago..
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:37 am

No worries, sirthomas just got a taste of caranthir's god mode....:o

Return to “General”