All-Star Game?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Read before voting, then... Should we do it?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 22
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

All-Star Game?

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:40 pm

Inspired by this topic, I think it would be a great idea to have a scheduled game of predetermined "All-Star" players based on some sort of nomination by other (already registered if possible) forum members. This would be separate and different from any official/unofficial Defcon tournament.

The players in question of course would have to make it known whether or not they could play during the proposed time (which would have to be settled first I think).

So what do you think?

This is how I propose it goes...

If there's enough of a response, i.e. enough players come forth and state they would participate then...

1. A game with predetermined settings should be agreed upon, i.e. x population, diplo/survivor/genocide, x number of cities, etc.
  2. Other members could place a vote (only one, and for only one player) for whom they believe should be in the game. Those interested could not vote for themselves.
  3. The six players with the most votes after some predetermined voting period would be in the game with a couple of "backups" in case someone can't make it/doesn't show. Some way to keep track of who has come forth and who has been nominated would need to be formed. Perhaps someone with their own site could be designated with that task?
  4. Out of the six it would be determined who has the best server, or someone could volunteer to host (as a spectator) if they have a connection that could handle spectators.
  5. The winner could receive some sort of pseudo prize like "Official Defcon All-Star". Or perhaps, an All-Star thread could be established and those that participate could be recognized there if this idea is transformed into a repeating event.

The intention being that the Defcon community (at least a portion of it) picks who it believes should play, thus making the players and the eventual winner more of an authentic All-Star. (not self proclaimed) It could be promoted before games easily. I know that I personally have successfully directed several players to Defconmatch.com and here in just that way.
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:15 am

I'd vote Amerigo.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:24 am

I vote Chris! :P
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:50 am

That's the spirit. However, they would need to voice their interest before any votes would actually count.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:17 am

what a guy.... :p
CptDarknuggets
level1
level1

Postby CptDarknuggets » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:37 pm

I have only been playing defcon on saturdays. Because of the wife and studying. In turn I'm losing my touch. :[
kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Postby kentuckyfried » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:45 pm

Ace Rimmer would definitely get a vote from me, Radiant Caligula too. That guy is hardcore.
lukasbradley
level1
level1

Postby lukasbradley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:35 pm

I think it's a good idea, but it sounds a lot like a popularity contest.

I also think you should play multiple games, not just 1.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:41 pm

lukasbradley wrote:I think it's a good idea, but it sounds a lot like a popularity contest.

I hadn't thought of in that way. Either way, the intention was that a players popularity (based on being good/challenging/nearly unbeatable) would propel them into the game.

lukasbradley wrote:I also think you should play multiple games, not just 1.

If there's enough interest, I'd love to see an ongoing All-Star "series". Different/seperate from any tournament, i.e., one game would have no direct effect on who was in the next as in a tournament.
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:00 pm

We could have two people nominate for a spot. Then set up a seperate thread which will be a poll. Each have somewhat of a time limit so it doesnt drag on forever.
lukasbradley
level1
level1

Postby lukasbradley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
lukasbradley wrote:I think it's a good idea, but it sounds a lot like a popularity contest.

I hadn't thought of in that way. Either way, the intention was that a players popularity (based on being good/challenging/nearly unbeatable) would propel them into the game.

lukasbradley wrote:I also think you should play multiple games, not just 1.

If there's enough interest, I'd love to see an ongoing All-Star "series". Different/seperate from any tournament, i.e., one game would have no direct effect on who was in the next as in a tournament.

Understood.

Just to be clear, I would like to see multiple games (3 maybe) between the participants.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:We could have two people nominate for a spot. Then set up a seperate thread which will be a poll. Each have somewhat of a time limit so it doesnt drag on forever.

I'm not quiet clear on what you mean but it was my intention that this thread merely serve to get things rolling if it's doable. Another thread should indeed be set up to get players nominated.

lukasbradley wrote:Just to be clear, I would like to see multiple games (3 maybe) between the participants.

A best 2 out of 3 or something similar? Hmm....
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:27 pm

For example. You have one thread to nominate. Nominations are open for a week. You then set up a different thread that is a poll of all those who were nominated of who will compete. This poll could be open for a week. Hope that cleared things up.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:39 pm

Makes perfect sense to me. We just need to know who would participate first as you might nominate somebody that wouldn't/couldn't or isn't here to find out... right?

I would say that anybody and everybody that thinks or believes they can play the game fairly well should stand up and be counted. Especially those that others have said were any good.

Players like Radiant Caligula, ROFLamingo, Weps, all of the (EU) players I've seen play, Amerigo Vespucci, justjokin, caranthir.pkk. There's at least six right there. There are plenty of you people out there and you know who you are!
lukasbradley
level1
level1

Postby lukasbradley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:42 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
lukasbradley wrote:Just to be clear, I would like to see multiple games (3 maybe) between the participants.

A best 2 out of 3 or something similar? Hmm....

Absolutely. But a "2 out of 3" would be hard, because the same person might not win 2 out of 3 games. A score average out of X games would give the greatest idea of who performed the best overall.

Since we all know each game is different, and even the best players get totally destroyed some games, you need a larger sample size to reach any real conclusions. The more games played, the better the idea of who the best really is.

There are problems with this strategy as well, because what if one player gets South America each time, and they are just a damn good South America player.... Sorry to digress.

In the end, you can't account for all variables, but multiple games, with an average score across those games will give a better ranking.

Return to “General”