GeneticFreak's phatetic attempt on a DEFCON strategy guide

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

GeneticFreak
level3
level3

GeneticFreak's phatetic attempt on a DEFCON strategy guide

Postby GeneticFreak » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:59 am

DISCLAIMER: by writing this I'm neither proclaiming that I'm l337 and better than all of you. I get my ass handed to me more often than I like too
This is by no means an "ultimate must do" guide, rather a bunch of tactics gathered together for you to mix and match.
My ingame nick is [USGR]GeneFreak

Part one: The Setup
The game has started! Quickly press 1 and take a look at the world.

Positioning Silos and Radars
Go click on the "People" button on the toolbar. These are the areas YOU need to protect. It should be obvious but numerous times I have seen for example asian players that puts everything up there in Teheran and nothing at all on the east coast.
There are several known "Schemes" to put your Silos and Radars. The actual placement differs from continent to continent, for example sometimes it might not be worth it spend so much effort to cover Cairo or Mexico or Tokyo.
1) The Turtle
Put your silos up near your major cities in pairs, and put one radar slightly behind each pair. Europe usually do this simply because they don't have any space for anything fancy.
2) The Belt
Put your silos forming a diagonal or half-circle line of defence and put radars some distance in front and behind the line
3) The Genocide
Put your silos up in pair of threes facing the enemy, put a few radars closely in front of them, and put the rest of your radars as close to the enemy as you can covering the biggest possible scope.
Some basic tips
- Don't put your silos too close to the enemy border UNLESS you're certain you can take out any radar stationed there. You dont want them to see when you are open before you actually launch.
- Some places are sometimes just not worth protecting. Your best bet is to get an ally to protect it
- It's worth it to spend one radar next to the enemy to act as a scout

Positioning Airbases
- Never ever put airbases near a border. Your planes will just get shot down while taking off.
- Put one or two airbase near your most vulnerable coastline. This will help your navy clear out their navy and for your bombers to take out subs as they surface
- Put airbases close to eachother if you can, or think of a safe rally point and position your airbases the same distance away from that rally point. This rally point will be used as a gather point for bombers before they go on a territorial attack.

Positioning Your Fleet
There is no set best option to position your fleet. However some of these tips might come in handy
- Always put at least one carrier in a battleship group. You never know when you have subs underneath it, or need a quick fighter launch against their bombers.
- Spread out your carriers a little. Grouping them too much does no good, they have very very weak firepower and armor and a lump of it will just get taken out. Instead spread them out in pairs or threes and have one designate role for each carrier (this one is anti sub, that one is for fighters, etc). Understand that these are mobile launching platforms and by no means a combat ship.
- Subs have good offensive capabilty too! When positioning them also think of how they can help your fleet win the naval battle instead of just thinking how to sneak them across the ocean.
- Start moving the fleet to strategic positions immediately after placing. By strategic it means "where can i possibly kill the enemy navy and survive"

After you put everything down, cross your fingers and press 2. This is the end of part one.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:59 am

DISCLAIMER: by writing this I'm neither proclaiming that I'm l337 and better than all of you. I get my ass handed to me more often than I like too
This is by no means an "ultimate must do" guide, rather a bunch of tactics gathered together for you to mix and match.

Part two: Naval Battle
Oh no its Defcon 4 and they got a crapload of fleet up my coast! What do I do?!!11
Calm down and get your fleet in position.
- Prepare submarines in a good position to launch torpedoes on their ships
- Prepare your battleship to cover your fleet from incoming attacks
- Imagine where would the enemy place his subs and avoid the area for now
- Prepare at least two carriers in a safe distance away from the enemy to launch bombers and fighters from.
- Hopefully you did put at least one airbase near the coast.

Defcon 3: Party Time
Press 1!
- Designate one or two carriers into anti submarine mode preferrably the ones nearest to where your battleships are, or the ones near to where you THINK your enemy has put his subs at.
- Immediately use your subs against their ships while moving AWAY from their carriers. You only have 180 seconds before one of the carriers go in anti submarine mode.
- Hopefully you have some carriers ready to launch bombers at the ships. Do this now, launch the bombers in a safe distance away from the enemy fleet but close enough to actually shoot at them. Bombers got a LONG naval combat range.
- Launch fighters from airbases against those carriers if they are in range. Fighters from airbases respawn while the ones on the carriers DOESNT. So its okay to lose some to kill some.
- But the enemy is way over there! Launch fighters from carriers against them and launch fighters from airbases to YOUR carrier.
- As soon as all the fighters are out launch bombers from the airbase against the ships.
- Remember that your battleship shoots down bombers fairly fast and fighters even faster. So get em if they're in range.
- Don't hessitate to pull away from a losing battle, at least until the airbases and long range carriers provide more support
- If you see an enemy silo sneak subs out there AFTER clearing the area of enemy ships. A group of subs sitting at home coast on Defcon 3-2 is better than a sunken group of subs near the enemy coast. You need to get them there on Defcon 1 tho.
- Remember that subs got a decently far nuke range.
- Remember to sweep the ocean for stray subs after wiping out the enemy navy. Hopefully you didnt put all your carriers in one big group do you?
- Fighters are useful to scout ahead of a battle group. Launch them one at a time in front of your group as you move.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:33 am

Part three: Prelude to Chaos
Scouting and disarming the enemy
Some tips on Air Superiority
- Launch some fighters to enemy spots to see how heavily its defended. Some continents gets the benefit of radar positioning so you can omit this step if you can already see most of his defences.
- Pick a target or two. Think of the softest spot to hit. A radar is good. A lone silo is good. A radar far far behind the enemy line of silos is not good.
- Launch bombers from all airbases to one SAFE rally point. The amount of bombers depends on how heavily protected your target is. This should be done a minute or two BEFORE Defcon 1
- Remember that your bombers fly straight and your nukes CURVE. Use this to your advantage and move the bombers to a position where you think you can curve the nukes away from the enemy protection before coming back to hit it.
- When your bombers have gathered together in a close lump press 1 and start clicking them against a target. Remember it takes some time to get their nukes loaded. So if you think your bombers can't reach the target in time, hit SRBM Launch Mode and press space while moving them in circles before actually getting them to move to target.
- By all means if you have the opportunity to hit one of their big cities with your bombers dont hessitate to sneak one nuke to it along with your volley. Who knows it might even get thru.
- As soon as your bombers pass your airbases launch fighters at the enemy flooding his airspace. They will serve as a distraction and SAM fodder.
- After your bombers unload their payload, dont forget to get them to sweep your coast a bit if they have the fuel for it. Hopefully you can catch some surfaced enemy subs or stray ships
Some tips on submarine use
- Launch a fighter above your subs before surfacing if you dont control the waters.
- Raise one sub. If it gets shot at, run the hell away.
- Once the area is safe and you have a target in sight, surface all subs by using the SHIFT button, target the same target, look very very closely at the countdown timer. As soon as one volley is launched immediately move the subs away.
- An exception to this is if you control the sea and air around your subs and you have multiple targets available, then you should launch at them.
- Best timing to launch sub nukes is when the enemy opened his silo of course, but even if they don't, sometimes its worth it to launch anyway especially in coordination with your bombers.
- Be agile. Subs move very slow so don't get them to try suicidal hit and runs.
- By all means if you have the opportunity to hit one of their big cities with your subs dont hessitate to sneak one nuke to it along with your volley. Who knows it might even get thru.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:42 am

Part four: Global Thermonuclear War
How to open silos: hit "ICBM launch mode" then press spacebar
How to close em: hit "Air Defence Mode"

How to use Silo Nukes: Some options
1) Revolving door tactic.
Open three of your rear most silos and launch at the enemy twice simultanously and IMMEDIATELY close them to air defence mode afterwards. After they close launch from the other two or three of your front silos ONCE and close them immediately after.
2) The Shotgun
Make sure enemy got no radar-capable unit/buildings near your silos, otherwise you need to make a distraction. Now carefully open each silo and shoot at the enemy once or twice (depending on enemy distance, twice if the enemy is far away) from ALL silos and IMMEDIATELY close them after. Target their nearest silo.
3) The Cleanup
When your enemy is severely disarmed, use one silo to target their cities. Wait till over half of the nukes launched, then use another silo to target their cities. Start with your closest silo down to your farther ones.
How to NOT use Silo Nukes
- Opening every silo you have and launching more than four nukes each from all of them at once. This is asking for trouble. Your silos wont close by the time the enemy retalation force arrives.
- Opening a silo when you dont have any bombers or ships at the nearest coastline. It will just get itself killed.
- An exception for this is of course when the victory timer is up and you're losing, then by all means go crazy.
Soldant
level2
level2

Postby Soldant » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:12 am

Nice guide! Only two comments:
- Never ever put airbases near a border. Your planes will just get shot down while taking off.

I'd be careful saying that. In a Europe vs USSR thing, that's ultra good advice. But if USSR was going up against Asia, it makes sense to have the airbase close to the border so that fighters can fly over for auxillary radar and scouting purposes.

- It's worth it to spend one radar next to the enemy to act as a scout

I find it's okay to be slightly liberal with radar; lots of people go for the silos anyway (even though that's not the smartest idea) and radar will need to be out of silo defence range for early warning to actually be effective.

Other than that though, I like this guide :) I especially like how you stress that some areas simply cannot be defended. After all...
Everybody dies.

Good work!
A. Smith
level2
level2

Postby A. Smith » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:54 pm

good post (s). We need a sticky with all these great strategy guides. are there any moderators here?
GoldenShadow
level1
level1

Postby GoldenShadow » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Silo nukes are the only ones that have no counter. you can take down both bombers and subs using your airforce, so long as you have ample warning and get your fighters launched to counter incoming bombers, and bombers launched to counter surfacing subs. But if ICBMs are raining down, theres nothing you can do to stop it other than pray your air defense can handle it.
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:17 pm

Actually, you can manually vector fighters to attack nukes.
GoldenShadow
level1
level1

Postby GoldenShadow » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:27 pm

They don't do anything. fighters are better used to shoot at bombers.
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:36 pm

Well yes, but you can actually shoot missiles down. its not effective, but I had to use it earlier as a last ditch defence and it barely worked, but it did a little damage.
GoldenShadow
level1
level1

Postby GoldenShadow » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:07 am

Fix your avatar, Its huge!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:38 am

VANGUARD: The forums use the CSS commands MaxHeight and MaxWidth to control the size of avatar images. Internet Explorer does not properly support those commands. Thus, while your avatar is properly scaled in Firefox, Safari, Opera, or most any other modern browser, it does not work well in IE. I would suggest scaling it down a bit, perhaps to 80x80 or some such. Here, I have even done it for you:
Download that, host it somewhere, and you are good to go. I will delete it in a week or so, so please don't leech :)

xander
Dr. Strangelove
level1
level1

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:51 pm

did you actually see the fighter take out a nuke?

and i cant imagine that IV made that as a gameplay decision. i think its a bug.

has that been adressed?
How I learned to stop worrying and love The Bomb.

tired of your old music? tell me about it! ill find you something new, or my parents didn't name me for a truckers life!
bean
level0

Postby bean » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:06 am

I've seen bombers target a nuke before. Was the weirdest thing to watch as a spectator.
VANGUARD
level2
level2

Postby VANGUARD » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:26 am

Sorry about the avatar, I forget about IE sometimes :(

Anyway, here's a good screeny of fighters.

They do attack nukes.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”