Defcon on the iPod

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

xander
level5
level5

Defcon on the iPod

Postby xander » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:52 pm

Last week, I was shocked to get an email from Chris. He asked if I happened to have a fifth generation iPod, and if I could test something for him. As luck would have it, I do have such an iPod, and said I was more than willing to help. Of course, he asked that I sign an NDA before he sent me the files. I faxed that over yesterday, and got a suprise in my email this morning. Now, I know that I am likely to be banned for this, but it was far too exciting to keep secret. Apparantly, Chris has been working on a version of Defcon for the iPod!

It seems that one can only play against the AI, and it certainly strains the machine a bit to keep up, but it is perfectly playable, and a hell of a lot of fun. The image below is one that I took this morning while testing the game. I am sorry for the poor image quality, but my camera is not terribly good. At any rate, this is extremely exciting!

xander
film11
level3
level3

Postby film11 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:58 pm

Ah, days of "DARWINIA ON A PHONE" come flooding back :lol:
Rock
level2
level2

Postby Rock » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Holy crap, that's fricking awesome! DEFCON on the iPod...it's ingenious! Well, I hope you enjoy it...I wish I was right now though ;)
The Wintergreen
level0

Postby The Wintergreen » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:07 am

EDIT: I knew it...
Last edited by The Wintergreen on Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:22 am

Kind of an April 1st in Fall huh.
nuk-a-bazooka
level1
level1

Postby nuk-a-bazooka » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:23 am

Ardentem frigidus Aetnam insiluit.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:29 am

I hate these bigshot companies, and their massive marketing... They launch their games on every platform available, even their grandma's toaster, just to earn another pound! I'm betting the next thing that'll come up will be the possibility to txtmsg MAD to your friends!

I wonder what the iPod Defcon Demo will be like though...will they limit the amount of nukes you can have? :wink:
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:52 am

I don't own an iPod, but it would be hilarious for a winning player to have played his entire side through an iPod through the course of a school day.
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:27 am

Xander, you signed a god damn NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT, which is what NDA fricking stands for. You just disclosed something that could end up going the way of Uplink for PocketPC, and Chris explicitly asked you not to disclose.

Way to go, moron.
jrbreen
level2
level2

Postby jrbreen » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:35 am

The poor camera quality seems like a very weak excuse to me...

I wouldn't be surprised if it covered up for a bad PhotoShop job. Besides, trying to squeeze that much functionality out of an iPod? The controls alone would be borderline masochistic...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:02 am

Leonaken wrote:Xander, you signed a god damn NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT, which is what NDA fricking stands for. You just disclosed something that could end up going the way of Uplink for PocketPC, and Chris explicitly asked you not to disclose.

Way to go, moron.

I'm sorry, Leonaken, but this was just far too important to keep secret. The people must know!

xander
Behrditz
level1
level1

Postby Behrditz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:07 am

I smell shenanigans. First off, how would you control the game with only a rotary device and some buttons? Ipod controllers dont have multiple degrees of movement, its just 2. One way, and the other. What i THINK is going on, is someone took a screen shot of their video ipod playing a trailer/gameplay clip.
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:29 am

xander wrote:
Leonaken wrote:Xander, you signed a god damn NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT, which is what NDA fricking stands for. You just disclosed something that could end up going the way of Uplink for PocketPC, and Chris explicitly asked you not to disclose.

Way to go, moron.

I'm sorry, Leonaken, but this was just far too important to keep secret. The people must know!

xander

The public has a right to know (might have spend to much time watching the Hackers-movies), although I doubt that it's possible to play DefCon on an iPod. But could still be cool.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
SEiGE
level1
level1

Postby SEiGE » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:40 am

W31RD0 wrote:
xander wrote:

Way to go, moron.

xander

The public has a right to know (might have spend to much time watching the Hackers-movies), although I doubt that it's possible to play DefCon on an iPod. But could still be cool.
No, the public does NOT have a right to know since he signed the NDA.

Why should the public have a right to know? From your logic, we should also give out all the information that CIA and the secret service have. Which is obviously completely mad.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:47 am

I really start to wonder when will everyone realize the idea behind this thread. :D

It's amusing how everyeone's getting fooled. I bet the IV staff is laughing thier butts off right now. Don't you think this thread would have been deleted if it was real? A bit of common sense people.
Last edited by Hmuda on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”