Q&A - All forum members read - Devs please answer

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

User avatar
kikinchaz
level2
level2
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Q&A - All forum members read - Devs please answer

Postby kikinchaz » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I thought itd be a good idea to post a Q&A and try and get an official response from the Devs due to the amount of questions about the game which are either not being able to be answered, or are answered but not 100%.

Please everyone add your questions and hopefuly we can get some answered! (please no repeats)

1. Will we need to purchase multiple copies of the game to play a LAN game?

2. Will the servers be able to handle the amount of downloads at release on the official IV site?

3. Will you be able to download the game multiple times from the official IV site?

4. Any plans for DEFCON posters :) ?

5. From what i hear theres no way the boxed version will be able to be converted to your steam account - please can you confirm this?
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:05 am

Well the last two have been answered MANY times.

4) Yes

5) True
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16868
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Q&A - All forum members read - Devs please answer

Postby xander » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:07 am

kikinchaz wrote:Hello everyone,

I thought itd be a good idea to post a Q&A and try and get an official response from the Devs due to the amount of questions about the game which are either not being able to be answered, or are answered but not 100%.

Please everyone add your questions and hopefuly we can get some answered! (please no repeats)

1. Will we need to purchase multiple copies of the game to play a LAN game?

2. Will the servers be able to handle the amount of downloads at release on the official IV site?

3. Will you be able to download the game multiple times from the official IV site?

4. Any plans for DEFCON posters :) ?

5. From what i hear theres no way the boxed version will be able to be converted to your steam account - please can you confirm this?

The following have already been confirmed:
4) Yes.
5) This is true.

As to the second one, we will just have to wait and see. However, I think they should do fine.

xander

EDIT: Damny you, Montyphy!
User avatar
kikinchaz
level2
level2
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby kikinchaz » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:16 am

Awesome glad to know posters have been announced. Sorry to ask already confirmed questions. But please if everyone uses this thread as a place to ask all your questions and see if we can get an official answer on them. Thanks guys,

ChaZ
User avatar
kikinchaz
level2
level2
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby kikinchaz » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:02 am

Important new question:

Any news on if the game supports dual core processors. After playing the Darwinia demo i had an fps of 18....i changed the process (darwinia) to run on 1 of my core's and boom - 200fps. Obviously they didnt design the game with any kind of dual core support. Its just a minor annoyance having to switch it to 1 core everytime i run the game, but otherwise nothing major.

ChaZ
User avatar
kikinchaz
level2
level2
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby kikinchaz » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:37 pm

Does noone have any questions to add? Rather than posting them on seperate threads please post here.

ChaZ
Darksun
level5
level5
Posts: 6461
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:08 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Postby Darksun » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:46 pm

Please don't triple post, the edit button exists for a reason.

I asked NeoThermic about the IV servers handing the download load on release the other day, he seems to think the server will be able to handle it. And you should be able to download the game multiple times from the IV site, in the past that's worked for other games (there may or may not be a limit on downloads)
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6253
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:52 pm

kikinchaz wrote:Important new question:

Any news on if the game supports dual core processors. After playing the Darwinia demo i had an fps of 18....i changed the process (darwinia) to run on 1 of my core's and boom - 200fps. Obviously they didnt design the game with any kind of dual core support. Its just a minor annoyance having to switch it to 1 core everytime i run the game, but otherwise nothing major.

ChaZ


Can you do something quickly for me ChaZ? Can you right click on the My Computer icon, select 'Manage', then select 'Device Manager' from the list. One th right should be a whole bunch of icons relating to your computer, can you Click the + next to the one called 'Computer', and tell me what appears when you do so?

Plus, yes, the servers should hopefully be able to hold up to the load; I'll certinally be watching what I can to make sure nothing goes wrong :)

NeoThermic
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:54 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Can you do something quickly for me ChaZ? Can you right click on the My Computer icon, select 'Manage', then select 'Device Manager' from the list. One th right should be a whole bunch of icons relating to your computer, can you Click the + next to the one called 'Computer', and tell me what appears when you do so?


Trying to find out how he is getting 200fps?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6253
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:56 pm

Montyphy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Can you do something quickly for me ChaZ? Can you right click on the My Computer icon, select 'Manage', then select 'Device Manager' from the list. One th right should be a whole bunch of icons relating to your computer, can you Click the + next to the one called 'Computer', and tell me what appears when you do so?


Trying to find out how he is getting 200fps?


More over checking his own computer is aware of his dual-core CPU.

NeoThermic
Gargantou
level1
level1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:46 pm

Re: Q&A - All forum members read - Devs please answer

Postby Gargantou » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:56 pm

kikinchaz wrote:5. From what i hear theres no way the boxed version will be able to be converted to your steam account - please can you confirm this?
That's annoying if it's true(I won't believe anything a 100% until they're out and I atleast try), has the devs given any reasons for this? If they make the boxed copy compatible with Steam do they have to pay extra 'royalties'?
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6253
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Re: Q&A - All forum members read - Devs please answer

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:58 pm

Gargantou wrote:
kikinchaz wrote:5. From what i hear theres no way the boxed version will be able to be converted to your steam account - please can you confirm this?
That's annoying if it's true(I won't believe anything a 100% until they're out and I atleast try), has the devs given any reasons for this? If they make the boxed copy compatible with Steam do they have to pay extra 'royalties'?


The reason comes to the fact that Defcon is stand alone, and doesn't require Steam to do anything. Ergo, it would be impossible to bind the stand alone game to Steam.

More over, when have you ever been able to bind stand-alone games to Steam? :)

NeoThermic
User avatar
MrBunsy
level5
level5
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: Southampton
Contact:

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:47 pm

Depends what you mean by 'stand alone' really, Some games can be gotten from steam or in a box, but need to be tied to a steam account inorder to work, which is where the confusion comes from I think.
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6253
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:22 pm

MrBunsy wrote:Depends what you mean by 'stand alone' really, Some games can be gotten from steam or in a box, but need to be tied to a steam account inorder to work, which is where the confusion comes from I think.


Yes, but all those games are Valve's own games, and the system is designed around allowing people to do that with their games. However, this isn't the case with Defcon :P

NeoThermic
User avatar
MrBunsy
level5
level5
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: Southampton
Contact:

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:36 pm

I had Red Orchestra in mind actually. They had a whole bunch of problems implemetning it into steam, wasn't for several months and a steam patch or two before it worked properly.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests