What about Cuba?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Secretpact
level1
level1

What about Cuba?

Postby Secretpact » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:06 am

Didn't the USSR put missiles in Cuba during WWII or the Cold War or something? (man i need to brush up on my history) It would be pretty cheap if the USSR could put missile silos in cuba...

Who controls Cuba in this game then? US?
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:55 am

You mean the Cuban Missle Crisis? That was in the Cold War...only the US had nukes in WW2 and only the germans had missles that could be titled "useful" (though highly inaccurate ones, so they were only used as psychological weapons against London as far as I know, someone will correct me if I'm wrong about the details).

It would be highly unfair against the US and South America if others can put silos in Cuba. I bet that island is neutral. This game doesn't have to be historicaly accurate (they removed those missles anyways), but balanced to be enjoyable.
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:11 am

Or you could just send a single nuke to cover most of Cuba when Defcon 5 kicks in.
BoKeRoN
level1
level1

Postby BoKeRoN » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:56 am

Well, the missile crisis of Cuba was Nikita Gruschev's answer to the US deployment of medium range nuclear missiles on Turkey, aiming right into the industrial heart of USSR. This was 1 of the 2 times that the world faces a nuclear war (The other was on the "6 days war" on Middle East, when Israel loaded tactical nuclear warheads on their F4 bombers to stop the armoured formations of the Arabian Legion. Thanks god, finally, they don´t needed).

That make me think about possibilities of a nuclear conflict. Pakistan and India looks like they are quite easy at this moment. North Korea can´t assume the effect of a nuclear attack against South Korea, and they don´t have technology for ICBM. China is filling his pockets with Euros and Dollars with his semi-opening to capitalism. Russia is quite friendly. South Africa has a nuclear arsenal only to appear on tv sometimes... I think the problem is Iran. Ooops...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:04 am

BoKeRoN wrote: This was 1 of the 2 times that the world faces a nuclear war.

What? You're kidding me. I can think of at least 4 occasions where the world has come within a button press of World War 3 during the Cold War alone.

NeoThermic
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:12 am

Bas wrote:Or you could just send a single nuke to cover most of Cuba when Defcon 5 kicks in.

Nukes can only be used in Defcon 1 not 5.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
BoKeRoN
level1
level1

Postby BoKeRoN » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:19 am

NeoThermic wrote:
BoKeRoN wrote: This was 1 of the 2 times that the world faces a nuclear war.

What? You're kidding me. I can think of at least 4 occasions where the world has come within a button press of World War 3 during the Cold War alone.

NeoThermic

Ok, let me remember. I was talking of a full scale nuclear strike, preceded by a rise of hostilities:

- In the 50´s, while the combat between US forces and China forces on Korea, China still wasn´t a nuclear power. No Defcon 1.

- In Vietnam, USSR was quite happy draining US forces without fighting. No Defcon 1.

- Strain between India and Pakistan was always high, but their nuclear power is dissuasive between them. No Defcon 1.

- In Afghanistan occupied by soviet forces, US takes the rol played on Vietnam by USSR. No Defcon 1.

NeoThermic, could you refresh my memory on nuclear crisis, please? Maybe i´m forgetting something.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:21 am

According to Wiki, Defcon1 has never been declared in history.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:28 am

Doomsday Clock

Oct 1949 -Three minutes to midnight;
The Soviet Union explodes its first atomic bomb.

Sep 1953 - Two minutes to midnight;
The United States and the Soviet Union test thermonuclear devices within nine months of one another.

Jan 1981 - Four minutes to midnight;
Both superpowers develop more weapons for fighting a nuclear war. Terrorist actions, repression of human rights, and conflicts in Afghanistan, Poland, and South Africa add to world tension.

Jan 1984 - Three minutes to midnight;
The arms race accelerates. "Arms control negotiations have been reduced to a species of propaganda. . . . The blunt simplicities of force threaten to displace any other form of discourse between the superpowers."
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
BoKeRoN
level1
level1

Postby BoKeRoN » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:36 am

Hmuda wrote:According to Wiki, Defcon1 has never been declared in history.

You are right. If not, the world should be brighter than usual... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:11 pm

BoKeRoN wrote:
Hmuda wrote:According to Wiki, Defcon1 has never been declared in history.

You are right. If not, the world should be brighter than usual... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Well, I think Defcon1 doesn't instantly mean "nukes flying". Those two malfunction in NORAD adn the one on the Soviet side could have caused Defcon1, but fortunately they didn't. :oops:
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:05 pm

Montyphy wrote:
Bas wrote:Or you could just send a single nuke to cover most of Cuba when Defcon 5 kicks in.

Nukes can only be used in Defcon 1 not 5.

That's what I meant. Doh! Cuba doesn't seem too large, especially when you see how big a nuclear explosion is in this game.
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:15 pm

Hmuda wrote:You are right. If not, the world should be brighter than usual... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Well, I think Defcon1 doesn't instantly mean "nukes flying". Those two malfunction in NORAD adn the one on the Soviet side could have caused Defcon1, but fortunately they didn't. :oops:[/quote]
Is one of those the malfunction set off by David Lightman?
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:23 pm

Phrage wrote:Is one of those the malfunction set off by David Lightman?
Looks like I'm not the only one who watched Wargames again for the sake of Defcon. :P
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:27 pm

Yep, watched it yesterday after all the references on the forum.
Did anyone else notice the sign at the beginning with the officers with the keys saying "Anyone caught urinating in this area will be dismissed"?
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^

(delete as appropriate)

Return to “General”