General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

shamandgg
level1
level1

DEFCON with STEAM concern..

Postby shamandgg » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:22 pm

Hello everyone!
I have a question regarding purhasing DEFCON over Steam.

How does it work really?
Do I need to have some Steam software and drivers running in the background while playing DEFCON?
Does Steam change something in my system settings? I mean does it autoload on system startup, require installation of some drivers and stuff. How offensive this software is. I hate additional processes and unnecessary drivers. I'm just curious about Steam because Steam purchase is so much cheaper in US$ compared to the boxed one that will be sold in UK pounds.
SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:28 pm

You need steam running to play steam games

It does autorun on system startup - but you can turn that off

You won't need to install additional drivers.

If you don't want to buy the boxed copy or use steam you could just buy the download version (of IVs website) which is about the same price as steam.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:50 pm

SuVir wrote:You need steam running to play steam games
Not if it's anything like Darwinia and aparently Uplink are.

The conclusion (if there was one) from this thread was that Defcon will be like the others.
zerohourrct
level1
level1

Postby zerohourrct » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:31 pm

Actually Uplink DOES require steam to be running (or at least, last time I checked, the one steam distributes does), Darwinia is independant because its fresh coding. To awnswer your questions:
1:Steam is like an IM client, you log in and then you get a small panel with games that you have bought and a store where you can get demos and buy more games.
2:Depends, most steam games you do (for authentication/prevent hacks) but for Darwinia you didnt because it was standalone. We'll know on the release of Defcon.
3:Steam does NOT autoload by default, but you can tell it to if you want
4:Steam is like any other program; it makes use of registry file(s) and mabye a driver file or two.
5:You do realize that the Steam process will be using about 1/10000000000000th of your processor and memory power?
6:Well if you need the driver to use Steam, then it isnt unnecessary. duh.
7:Steam is a very nice product developed by Valve (makers of the Half-Life series) as an anti-hack/authentication software, has been in circulation for years, and is very streamlined, visit SteamPowered.com
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:31 pm

zerohourrct wrote:Actually Uplink DOES require steam to be running (or at least, last time I checked, the one steam distributes does), Darwinia is independant because its fresh coding.
I was taking a guess about Uplink.. nearly right.

Or, in other words, as copy protection goes, it's a hell of a lot better than StarForce.
Deestan
level1
level1

Postby Deestan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:02 pm

You can download Steam for free and try out the free demos, to get a feel for it. If you don't like it, it will uninstall cleanly and you will have paid nothing.

I'm usually a rabid opposer of Copy Preventions systems, but I love Steam. <3

Contrary to most CP systems, Steam installs itself like a normal program, running with normal system privileges, and never ever does anything unauthorized or shady. And it doesn't require me to insert a CD-ROM for No Purpose Whatsoever.

It's also tremendously handy that I can download and play the games I own on any computer I access. On my work computer (if it's raining and I don't want to go home just yet), or even my brother's computer if I'm out visiting and want to show him how nifty The Ship, RO, DEFCON, etc. is.

Since someone mentioned StarForce, I felt I just had to throw in my angry opinion: :?
StarForce is a *CENSORED* Copy Prevention sceme. It demands to run as a system driver with access to absolutely every part of your computer, overriding the normal workflow of CD-ROMS, DVD-drives and other things. All of the time. Even if you never start up the game it's supposed to protect. And it's about as easy to uninstall as a computer virus.
shamandgg
level1
level1

Postby shamandgg » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:26 am

Thank you all for your replies, guys. Appreciate it :D
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:02 pm

Deestan wrote:Since someone mentioned StarForce, I felt I just had to throw in my angry opinion: :?
StarForce is a *CENSORED* Copy Prevention sceme. It demands to run as a system driver with access to absolutely every part of your computer, overriding the normal workflow of CD-ROMS, DVD-drives and other things. All of the time. Even if you never start up the game it's supposed to protect. And it's about as easy to uninstall as a computer virus.
Nicely said.

I used to be anti-steam. Then I made the mistake of buying a starforce protected game (worms 4) and that rather shifted my view a bit. I'm still not wonderfully happy about steam in priniciple, but it's a sound programme at the very least. and if Defcon can be run independantly from steam (which I'm really hoping) then I'll almost love steam.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:54 pm

zerohourrct wrote:5:You do realize that the Steam process will be using about 1/10000000000000th of your processor and memory power?

Uhh, a lot more than that actually. Steam, doing nothing, is using 2% of my availiable memory.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:22 pm

It's only using 0.86% of my memory :D
zerohourrct
level1
level1

Postby zerohourrct » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:47 pm

Darksun wrote:
zerohourrct wrote:5:You do realize that the Steam process will be using about 1/10000000000000th of your processor and memory power?

Uhh, a lot more than that actually. Steam, doing nothing, is using 2% of my availiable memory.

Well, i was trying to point out that it shouldnt make that much of a difference in the low percentiles. And 2%? how much memory does your computer have? I reccomend upgrading to 1 gigabyte of DDR-SD RAM if you haven't already.
tChr
level1
level1

Postby tChr » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:30 pm

Semi-related question: Will steam also be required in order to play the version you can order or download from the site?
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:33 pm

no, not as far as I know. The version you will be able to download off IV's site, will be stand-alone, meaning it won't require any other software, except for an OS and some drivers.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:49 pm

IV are not a STEAM company. They always make a standalone version available.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:01 pm

xyzyxx wrote:IV are not a STEAM company. They always make a standalone version available.

It should be noted, however, that with the stand alone version, it will probably not be possible to add it to your Steam apps list. You can get the Steam version, and play using Steam, or you can get the stand alone version, and play without Steam. Multiplayer games should not care which version you have.

xander

Return to “General”