LAN Multiplayer

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

grifta67
level0

LAN Multiplayer

Postby grifta67 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:33 am

Hey everyone. As with the rest of you, I can't wait for this game! Less than a month and only approximately $15 bucks?? I love it!

My question is regarding the long lost art of LAN gaming. It seems everyone is always concerned with online multiplayer, but not so much local LAN play. Has anyone mentioned whether or not Defcon will support basic LAN? If so, will both of us require a seperate copy of the game, or will it allow a local clone specifically for LAN play?

Thanks!
-Sean
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:50 am

LAN gaming, a lost art? Are you crazy? How many multiplayer games these days don't support LANs?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
grifta67
level0

Postby grifta67 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:53 am

The last few I've played seemed to only have generic "go out into the internet" multiplayer. Perhaps I played the exceptions to the rule.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:46 am

grifta67 wrote:The last few I've played seemed to only have generic "go out into the internet" multiplayer. Perhaps I played the exceptions to the rule.

Could you, you know, name those games? I can't think of anything that is internet only, except for the MMORPGs.

xander
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:45 am

gotta agree with xander. I've seen a couple of single player only, but I don't think I've seen any multiplayer games, that doesn't support LAN-games. Reminds how long it's since, I last went to a LAN-party.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:19 pm

W31RD0 wrote:gotta agree with xander. I've seen a couple of single player only, but I don't think I've seen any multiplayer games, that doesn't support LAN-games. Reminds how long it's since, I last went to a LAN-party.

The last time I went anywhere for a LAN party was in the mid-90s. We played Marathon and Spectre.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:28 pm

If a game can work over a TCP stack, there's little stopping you from using it over a LAN. Only games which demand a ceneral server to operate won't work over a LAN (as in most MMORPG's).

As for my last LAN tournament, would have to be last millenium, playing UT.

NeoThermic
W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:36 pm

damn. suddenly, I don't feel sorry for myself anymore, I feel sorry for you guys. The last time I went, was october, last year. But it's pretty hard, to just stop like that, cause in a period of about 2-3 years, maybe more, I went to LAN-parties, at least once a month.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...

Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:41 pm

W31RD0 wrote:damn. suddenly, I don't feel sorry for myself anymore, I feel sorry for you guys. The last time I went, was october, last year. But it's pretty hard, to just stop like that, cause in a period of about 2-3 years, maybe more, I went to LAN-parties, at least once a month.

The problem I've got about LAN parties is getting there. The only logical way I could ever attend a LAN party is via a car. There's no way in hell I'll be able to lug around a ~30Kg computer, considering that would be roughly half my own weight.

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:44 pm

W31RD0 wrote:damn. suddenly, I don't feel sorry for myself anymore, I feel sorry for you guys. The last time I went, was october, last year. But it's pretty hard, to just stop like that, cause in a period of about 2-3 years, maybe more, I went to LAN-parties, at least once a month.

You shouldn't feel sorry for us. We didn't stop because we had to, but because we matured and moved on :)

xander
grifta67
level0

Postby grifta67 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:19 pm

My apologies, it appears I wasn't clear enough with my intial question. I was mainly asking if it would be required for every person to have their own copy or if you could spawn one or two local multiplayer copies. I have a couple roommates that I'm sure would play a game here and a game there against me, but they wouldn't be interested enough to purchase a seperate copy just to play a couple of games a month.

I realize that I'll have endless opponents online, but my biggest problem with online gaming is the lack of personal investment. Sure I have people to play, but I don't know them and therefore it just feels like I'm playing the computer.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:23 pm

then write with them... get their e-mail... something... POOF, and you have a friend to play with

PS. i am not sure if a may tell you, so...
Last edited by mibias on Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:27 pm

grifta67 wrote:My apologies, it appears I wasn't clear enough with my intial question. I was mainly asking if it would be required for every person to have their own copy or if you could spawn one or two local multiplayer copies. I have a couple roommates that I'm sure would play a game here and a game there against me, but they wouldn't be interested enough to purchase a seperate copy just to play a couple of games a month.

I realize that I'll have endless opponents online, but my biggest problem with online gaming is the lack of personal investment. Sure I have people to play, but I don't know them and therefore it just feels like I'm playing the computer.

So basically you want to know if you can warez the game? or have some way of buying a license which covers more than one computer?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
zerohourrct
level1
level1

Postby zerohourrct » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:29 pm

You could simply install the boxed version, or log in with the same account via steam, I'm pretty introversion won't be having authentication (they haven't done it in the past, so i don't know why they would start now). It would be a nice feature to package a LAN client that will only allow you to join LAN games (and have the full version game hosting them). A suggestion for thou oh wonderful dev team?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:52 pm

zerohourrct wrote:You could simply install the boxed version, or log in with the same account via steam, I'm pretty introversion won't be having authentication (they haven't done it in the past, so i don't know why they would start now). It would be a nice feature to package a LAN client that will only allow you to join LAN games (and have the full version game hosting them). A suggestion for thou oh wonderful dev team?

Well, based upon my limited understanding of how the code works, it might be difficult to get two copies of the same version to play over the internets. However, over a LAN, there is no reason that you should have to hit the authentication server, and you should be able to play. That doesn't mean that it would be ethical or right, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

xander

Return to “General”