Defcon on DS

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

gandhios
level1
level1

Defcon on DS

Postby gandhios » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:23 pm

I just read on Kotaku.com that IV is searching for a publisher for this title. Unless someone hoaxed several sites it looks like this is happening. This is motivation to buy the DS.
Though I love Defcon, I have never put much time into it. I think that a handheld format would be perfect.

DS has always impressed me, but this may be the thing that finally gets me to buy one.

Touch screen controls usually annoy the hell out of me, but in defcon, it might actually be the best possible way to control.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Which other sites are reporting this? It might just be site's reprinting each other's rumours.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Re: Defcon on DS

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:49 pm

gandhios wrote:Touch screen controls usually annoy the hell out of me, but in defcon, it might actually be the best possible way to control.
Put me into the 'I believe it when I experience it first hand' camp on that. Regular DEFCON is unplayable without heavily zooming in and out, and even then, you often need to hover your mouse pointer above a clusterfuck of units and determine via the highlighting which one is going to get selected. Neither is readily available on the DS, AFAIK, assuming the D-Pads is reserved to panning and you're not supposed to be switching between stylus and buttons with the other hand. That just leaves one useable shoulder button. I'd let it zoom in and realeasing it zooms out again. A soft press with the stylus would have to serve as hover replacement (is that even possible?). Sounds fumbly to me either way, so let's hope the gameplay changes they made reduce the need for heavy micromanagement.

estel: just google 'Defcon DS' and see them pop up.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Do DSs have internet connection? Defcon is a great game, but only vs humans. vs AI its boring the 2nd or 3rd time you play it.
StifflerStyle
level2
level2

Postby StifflerStyle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:45 pm

And can DS players play against PC players ingame?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:45 pm

I would believe this topic will be better discussed in the official announcement thread that popped up in the meantime, so I'll reply there.
Mr.Racoon
level1
level1

Why not PSP

Postby Mr.Racoon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:49 am

Man i would have liked it if it were on PSP, it isnt fair for the people who only Have like a PC but want to play it on the go. It would be better for both PSP and DS you know what i mean right
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:57 am

Buy a laptop....

Return to “General”