How To Watch Recordings

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:44 am

Bump for one this is a good thread...and two I'm having new trouble.

Since the demo cut from defcon I haven't been able to watch recordings with dedcon.

I open the recording, the script runs but doesn't find my key and gives demo limits (which there isn't anymore) and closes the dedcon. This all happens in a few split seconds of opening the recording.
StifflerStyle
level2
level2

Postby StifflerStyle » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:03 am

lol I just fixed my problem yesterday, I just manually connect to myself, 127.0.0.1 (localhost) and that somehow works as opposed to clicking on the playback server in the list which doesn't work for me. (Vista & latest dedcon version)
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:37 am

The problem is the dedcon client running the recording closes as soon as I run it.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:58 am

Odd. What Defcon type (steam or not) do you run and where would your key be? I thought I covered all bases there.

If all else fails, you can start the playback from the command line with
dedcon -l <recording name> -c "ServerKey <your key>"

Of course, I'll recheck the policies. demo players should be at least allowed to watch playbacks, I'd say. It's probably the order of the metaserver to disallow game hosting by demos that's causing the server to quit.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:39 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Odd. What Defcon type (steam or not) do you run and where would your key be? I thought I covered all bases there.

Defcon 1.43 Windows (I've also tried one of the alpha builds of dedcon...the long running 1.43 beta....and of course the latest 1.43 build of dedcon.)

Its strange because recordings was just working not too long ago

bert_the_turtle wrote:If all else fails, you can start the playback from the command line with
dedcon -l <recording name> -c "ServerKey <your key>"

Does this work with Windows as well in command? Also (just to be sure) I remove the sets of < >'s after i nenter key and name correct?

Thanks for the help.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:50 pm

sfericz wrote:Does this work with Windows as well in command? Also (just to be sure) I remove the sets of < >'s after i nenter key and name correct?
Yep and yep. You probably have to replace the plain 'dedcon' with '.\dedcon.exe' and of course have cd'd into dedcon's installation directory.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Ok, I tried it through command, it worked thanks. But just to get last error line that I couldn't see last time I ran it without my key. It returned this line.

"Hosting Demo Games have been disabled."

Its strange it works through command. I have triple checked both authkey files and doesn't seem to have any typo's. Oh well this is good enough for me. Thanks Bert!

Also will this command line that i used to run the recording work in Mac as well? My friend is having some troubles.

Again I opt this thread be stickyed! :)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:09 pm

sfericz wrote:"Hosting Demo Games have been disabled."
Yep. That's because the metaserver says so now. Does it say anything before that? Like, where it is looking for your authkey? (Dunno whether I added logging for that.)

sfericz wrote:Also will this command line that i used to run the recording work in Mac as well? My friend is having some troubles.
Certainly.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:11 pm

No, the only logging of serverkey I see on the main prompt is, "ServerKey = secret"

After that it talks to the metaserver, grabs the port and ip, then alerts "Only got demo key" .
The Reds
level2
level2

Postby The Reds » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:33 am

I'm wondering... Who has Mac here cause I do and I'm seeing that Dedcon doesn't work with Mac very well and when I want to see a recording the Zip file disappears. I don't need help but I trying to see that if this happened to anyone else... :?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:57 am

The Reds wrote:Dedcon doesn't work with Mac very well
It should. You just need to be a bit console-savy. I'm treating Mac users as just a mutated Linux users ;)
The Reds wrote:when I want to see a recording the Zip file disappears
Err, what do you mean by that? What, precisely, are you doing?
The Reds
level2
level2

Postby The Reds » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:28 am

Ok, so when I download Dedcon on mac version, there is a file that says zip... And when I press it, it looks like its down loading something, but then it automatically disappears. So is it me? Or the file?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:09 am

Dedcon itself comes in a tarball, not a zip. What file are you talking about?
The Reds
level2
level2

Postby The Reds » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:17 am

Actually I found files in my Documents on my os x mac and it says "dedcon-powerpc-apple" When I click it there are many files. But one says dedcon. And when I open it there is a terminal on the applications. I if close it it will say that it will terminate the process. What do I do? Do I put a code? Oh and also it asks me if I want to do another command when I right click the application.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:17 am

Just clicking on that 'dedon' starts a regular server with default configuration, not a playback. Just close it or enter the 'Quit' command. To start a playback, you need to
1. open a terminal
2. cd into the directory that 'dedcon' resides in
3. enter './dedcon -l <name of the recording>'
It's easiest if you place the recording file into the same directory the 'dedcon' is in.

There should be a 'README' text file in the same directory, too. It contains more information.

Return to “The Debriefing Room”