[2v2 Ladder S2] Season End: Roaring Success

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Sounds like a great plan to me. I only have one question: how will the obvious length of the chat in the "chat server" be handled? I don't know what the threshold should be though.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Every ten minuets or so, the server will reset itself. Warning the players before of course to rejoin after reset.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:05 am

Cause im an idiot i need a repetion from ace and/or sfericz about the syntax of intructions for random setting...i like it for the same reason why nightwatch doesnt like it.
edit: ok, i understood.. :oops:

Only an impression: -2 points for losting match is absurd. Team A has more points than team D with what strategy? Not play..
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:55 am

Play more games with random, that way u can get some distance to non playing teams ( assumed ur team doesnt lose more then half of games).
And yes Team A could show some activity, but the ladder is just 3 1/2 days old, give them some time.

I made alot of arguments to have negative points. While a non playing team will sit in the middle for a long time, its just the middle, not being closer to top then to bottom. Also the more games with random are played, the more a non playing team will slide from the middle to the bottom.
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:30 pm

trickser wrote:Play more games with random

The truth is out: Senator's point system was just a sneaky scheme to get us to play more random games! Nice work. :wink:

Actually, Zorotama may be right. It looks harsh on Team D, and we're playing like fanatics. Do you want to penalize play?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:22 pm

If you notice I put Team A at the bottom of the stats. In short, -6 > 0 (with zero games).
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:32 pm

My main motivation was that last season people refused to play mor and the B Team. They just played each other and generated alot of points. While A and C were almost even with points and win/loses, they run away from Team B, leaving it without any chance to recover. After half season 1/3 of players were out of the race for win. This szenario will be much more relaxed now.

Team D lost most of its games, why should it be higher then a team, that hasnt lost any games?

While a Team may prevent to be last by not playing, there is certainly no chance in winning without play.

The season just began, you will have plenty of chance to become 1st, so stop crying after the 1st half week.

Maybe in 2 weeks the majority of players think like you, the score system is crap, but the other system had its pitfalls too, see my 1st sentence.

And no matter how the score system looks, always someone will be last and someone be first.
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:52 pm

trickser wrote:Team D lost most of its games, why should it be higher then a team, that hasnt lost any games

Because unlike team A, maD has won 2?

trickser wrote: so stop crying after the 1st half week

Relax there fella. I supported the proposed system initially and continue to do so. It's just that Zorotama has a legitimate point. End of season may have "no play" as best team strategy, either overall or against particular teams. Do you want that?
Last edited by - Tobias - on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:01 pm

We'll have to wait for the end of the season to see, but I think last seasons' scoring system lent itself more to "we shouldn't play cause we're ahead". This time around, if you're ahead you have to worry more about other teams catching up, even if you don't play. (another plug for four teams) That is, if there's only three teams, two way out front and one doesn't want to play ("we're winning! why screw us over": C) and the other doesn't care ("we can't win the tourney no matter what": B), you have less of a chance to gain points due to fewer willing competitors (A).

Also, seriously it's only 3 days out with 8 games played when we averaged 5 a week last season, and that's not even with 100% team participation! :shock:

As for Team A playing, I haven't even seen any Team A around. I know I'll be on Thursday (and so will Mike). :P But, I'm looking around for Legion, who played the most games last season...

Lastly, if the tourney were to end right now, Team A would be dead last.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:09 pm

The score system is in place because of my initiative, so i have to defend it, unless i would believe its crap and i was wrong. Of cource some profit more from the one system then from the other, but i hope its overall better. And i am very interested to see what Team strategies will be, maybe there will be a non-play strategie but we had that kind of also in the end of last season.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:12 pm

You're not the only one that has to defend it. :P

Although, you made a very convincing case and I bought into it, I still believe it's the way to go.
Gulidar
level4
level4

Postby Gulidar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:55 pm

sfericz wrote:I always forget to use the random option. But I'm anxious to play a game with random this season.

Ace first must agree to this and unless I'm told I cannot do this, here is whats going to happen to help cut back on chat log.
We are going to setup a Pre-match Ladder Server. (You will not be able to start a game there.) Players will come to try and organize the matches there.

Then once a guaranteed set of players are ready. They move to the official Ladder server for the match.

The only two things I ask of you guys, is that once a team is set, wait for them to move to the ladder server and start the game. Then join the server to spectate.
The second, please try to keep conversation that's not about the match to a minimum . I know players will talk randomly while spectating. But we can try to not feed into it too much.

(There will be 5 Spectator seats, as many as possible)

Look :!: I double post! Vic's going to kill me!

Thanks, sferics, will do.
What is the death of one world in the cause of purity?
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:39 pm

The PreMatch server is up and should be working correctly. It will restart every 10 minuets. I might increase the reset time after it runs for a few days.

Also the match server has spectators set back to max.
Last edited by sfericz on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:41 pm

sfericz wrote:Also the game server has max spectators aloud. But try to wait right after the game starts to spectate.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty certain that you can remove the spectator slots until the game is actually started using the config file.

:?:
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Yeah, I could do that.

Return to “General”