General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

- Tobias -
level3
level3

Radar Range / Radar Mod

Postby - Tobias - » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:32 pm

In another thread, Why? said:

Why? wrote:In Senator's game, you placed 2 silos, 2 airbases, and 3 radars in radar range.

And, if you watch the reply of this game, a spectator in real time makes a similar comment.

Well, I was in that game, and while I forget exactly what I saw (maybe an airbase?), I did not see all this. I think what is happening here is that these observers are using the radar mod. My guess is the mod projects "ideal" ranges, not actual ranges, and that I placed my radar out of ideal position. Perhaps also the center coordinates of an object must be in range for the object itself to be visible. Dunno, just reporting that I did not see all that.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Yes, the mod only shows the maximum range of radar, and airbase fighters(faded outer line). You're also correct, that the center coordinates have to be in range, for a unit to be visible.

I took a second look, and it appears you placed your leftmost radar just low enough for mvpe's 2 silos to be out of sight.

It still doesn't take from the fact that it's a stupid, lazy set-up. That's why he lost everything so fast, and only got 30mill kills.

While they were planning, Senator told mvpe to put his silos above the U.S./CND border. I think mvpe felt his intelligence was insulted, and did this to be a smart-ass. (Notice the bottom row of silos are right on the border, and mvpe knows better. )

- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:01 am

Man I got to more careful with my radar placements!

I'd be curious to see that same screenshot with the radar mod activated. Theoretically it's a handy mod, but I tried it and dumped it after 1 game. I just prefer as much blackness as possible.
Last edited by - Tobias - on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:02 am

- Tobias - wrote:I'd be curious to see that same screenshot with the radar mod activated.

That screen shot does have the radar range mod activated.
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:09 am

sfericz wrote:That screen shot does have the radar range mod activated.

I'll be damned, it does. Seems to me my mod renders itself much, much brighter (and distracting).

From the looks of this then I really should have seen more, but I didn't. No matter. Thanks for the screenshot.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:11 am

There is two different Radar Range Mod, I think the latest shows up a tad bit brighter. Plus I think Why?'s color scheme may lighten up the mod a bit.

The last radar mod is suppose to be used with Water Shading off I believe. You might like that one since you want a darker scheme like I do.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:24 am

Yeah, I use the lighter radar mod and I played with my color scheme a lot. It's a lot darker when I play, cause I have the radar tab on. I also have Senator's travel grid on.

You can control the darkness of the radar mod, using the secondary colors for land and water...especially the alpha. With Senaor's mod you can change the color and brightness by altering the border colors. (the one that outlines countries.)

Also, I just noticed, that even if the leftmost radar was all the way north, it would only see 1 of the silos. However the 2nd, and prolly both, would prolly be seen with one in the middle, near west texas. Still most everything is easily in fighter range.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:34 am

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:47 am

I like the first version better.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:26 am

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:Otherwise dont talk about tactics you barely understand.

Like placing silos in radar's range? Yeah I don't understand that either. Maybe I shouldn't talk about not doing it. :roll:
Gulidar
level4
level4

Postby Gulidar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 pm

I just prefer as much blackness as possible.

You can switch to radar range bert's color scheme for placing units and then switch back to your usual scheme. And do this when you need to check radar's range.
What is the death of one world in the cause of purity?
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:49 pm

It would be cool to add a compass tool to the whiteboard to scribe range and ballistic arcs and then just toggle it off. When I activate/deactivate a mod my program often gets hung up. Moral of the story: pinch that nanometer out of silo placements.
Gulidar
level4
level4

Postby Gulidar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Why would anyone activate/desactivate non-critical mods at all? You can juts replace the files you need to replace and enjoy.
What is the death of one world in the cause of purity?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Radar Range and Travel Grid mods are great, but only serve as a crutch. Instinct and experience are far greater tools than visual aids.

[Yoda]Play without mod, learn to you must.[/yoda] :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:52 pm

Gulidar wrote:Why would anyone activate/desactivate non-critical mods at all? You can juts replace the files you need to replace and enjoy.

This is over my head. Perhaps it is best I just stay with the blackness, Yoda says.

Return to “General”