Screenshots on Vista?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

pinback
level1
level1

Screenshots on Vista?

Postby pinback » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:55 am

I tried running it on Vista and when I take a screenshot, it acts like it took it, but the file is nowhere to be found. Help?
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:17 am

Vista didn't come out for at least a year after DEFCON was released. So, you might actually have to hit the print screen button and paste it. I KNOW! I KNOW! TEDIOUS!

Maybe IV should spend a few weeks on a patch, so you don't have to waste a few precious seconds pasting and saving a screen capture.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:25 am

May be a dumb question, but have you checked the Defcon install directory? That's where they go on XP, and I have a very hard time imagining that saving to the working directory would somehow break under vista.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:40 am

Alternatively, it could be under "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Defcon\". Because Vista is weird.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:39 pm

What make of camera r u using? :?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:23 pm

KingAl wrote:Alternatively, it could be under "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Defcon". Because Vista is weird.
Or, you could just do a quick search and find the answer yourself.

*looks around for xander

Must be asleep on his porch snugglin' up to his shotgun.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
pinback
level1
level1

Postby pinback » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Why? wrote:Vista didn't come out for at least a year after DEFCON was released. So, you might actually have to hit the print screen button and paste it. I KNOW! I KNOW! TEDIOUS!

Maybe IV should spend a few weeks on a patch, so you don't have to waste a few precious seconds pasting and saving a screen capture.

Wow! With this level of friendliness and warmth towards new players, I'm surprised the Defcon community is still so small!

Well played, sir.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:28 pm

sorry for being rude, but that has nothing to do with Defcon's small community. It's because IV is a small developer and the game is 2 years old.

If it says "saved screenshot", it most likely did. You just have to search for wherever it put .bmp files. (should be the defcon directory)
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:24 pm

pinback wrote:Vista is so complex for me, I don't know how to use search function!!

Ermm...
pinback
level1
level1

Postby pinback » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 pm

If it says "saved screenshot", it most likely did. You just have to search for wherever it put .bmp files. (should be the defcon directory)

It did not. I searched the entire hard drive. You are correct that I can, in the future, do a printscreen. However, I asked originally because I had already taken some amusing ones that I wanted to find.

Is this how you reply to people on the street who ask you for help? You egotistical maniac? "What TIME is it? Why don't you go find a CLOCK to look at, or is that TOO HARD for you?"

Psycho.
pinback
level1
level1

Postby pinback » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:04 pm

rus|Mike wrote:
pinback wrote:Vista is so complex for me, I don't know how to use search function!!

Ermm...

Jesus, are ALL of you people assholes? Holy Christ. I already said, I did an entire search of the hard drive and they aren't on there.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:14 pm

pinback wrote:

It did not. I searched the entire hard drive. You are correct that I can, in the future, do a printscreen. However, I asked originally because I had already taken some amusing ones that I wanted to find.

Is this how you reply to people on the street who ask you for help? You egotistical maniac? "What TIME is it? Why don't you go find a CLOCK to look at, or is that TOO HARD for you?"

Psycho.

Calm down, Dear, it's only a commercial.

What are the steps you did in order to take a screenshot? Pressing 'p' while the in-game chat box doesn't have focus?

If the in-game chat didn't state that a screenshot was taken/saved how did Defcon act in order to suggest one was taken?
Last edited by Montyphy on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:17 pm

Montyphy wrote:
pinback wrote:

Psycho.

Calm down dear, it's only yo' momma.

Fix'd?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Ice Cream Jonsey
level0

Postby Ice Cream Jonsey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:36 pm

Pinback wrote:I tried running it on Vista and when I take a screenshot, it acts like it took it, but the file is nowhere to be found. Help?

This seems a pretty innocuous question! DEFCON 5!

Why? wrote:Vista didn't come out for at least a year after DEFCON was released.

I love that your handle here is "Why?" That's awesome. I haven't bothered to look up the rest of your terrible posts, but I am going to go out on a limb and proclaim them to all be the exact same sort of pseudo-aggressive shit-hurling that this gem I quoted desperately wants to be. I bet nobody has bothered to tell you what a laughable tough-guy fraud you are, too, since there are about 20 people left playing the game and most of them are from third-world shitholes like Ireland that don't have actual nukes of their own, so everything that goes on in the game is this huge, unattainable power fantasy for the meek. All that being said -- and said well! - you're probably too fucking stupid to understand that the release date of Vista is utterly irrelevant to whether or not a person can take a screengrab, seeing how this functionality isn't broken on every other game released in the history of the PC.

DEFCOM 4!

So, you might actually have to hit the print screen button and paste it. I KNOW! I KNOW! TEDIOUS!

Actually, the print screen button and several other ones are DISABLED in DEFCON. I have nothing but praise for the developers of this game, unless they are somehow friends with a sniveling toady like you, so it makes a lot of sense to disable stuff that would get in the way. For example, if you hit the SysReq key, guess what, dummy? NO SYSTEM REQUEST IS ACTUALLY TRANSMITTED ANYWHERE. I understand that I just blew your mind, so I will advance the DEFCON thing and give you a chance to flip your keyboard. Keep it down though, in case Mom took a nap upstairs.

Also, the game says that the screenshot has successfully been taken. But it hasn't, on Vista. So that IS a bug, you worthless piece of shit. And when someone actually associated with the game reads this, their reaction is going to be 1) Argh, we should fix that and 2) ICJ really skewered this "Why?" guy, ha ha ha! So yes, both the devs and I are laughing at you. If, when you did flip your keyboard, the "h" and "a" keys dislodged, that go ahead and consider that to be a third party contributing to all the chuckling. I hope Google spiders this thread quickly so the rest of the net can enjoy this.

DEFCON 3!

I think the best use of their time would be to ensure that snotty little shits like yourself aren't the first people to respond on their forum when someone asks a legitimate question that, by definition, displays enthusiasm. A guy wants to SHARE DEFCON SCREENS and you lot are all nerd-raging about it.

Boy, this worked out poorly for you, didn't it, faggot? Some other a-hole jumped on pinback as well, so let's rip him apart next.

Also: DEFCON 2!

rus|Mike wrote:Vista is so complex for me, I don't know how to use search function!!

Here, rus|Mike leans back in his chair, grin slowly spreading above like three of his chins, a mental note firing to not lean back so far so his corpulence doesn't cause him to barrel-roll AGAIN ... then a mental trigger that reminds him that sometimes apples are dunked for in barrels activates, which quickly followed by disgust at FRUITS and VEGETABLES. That smug, childish smirk has turned to disgust?

Anyway, fattie, a better bet would have been to try to (badly) make fun of Pinner for not using the search function on the support forum, but that doesn't help either because phpBB is the Vista of forum software.

I guess I am all done here (DEFCON 1!) and in closing, I'd like to say that you are all losers and the saddest thing about the thought that this game was made by two dudes is not that it is a million times better than any of the slop that EA put out in the last 10 years and got nowhere near the pub, but that the only rewards they do have (aside from the cash it generates) is looking forward to spending an eternity with the likes of all of you. If you want to help indie gaming, either gouge our your eyes and add 127.0.0.1 to HOSTS for any text-to-speech software sites, or do the less complicated thing of simply killing yourselves. The tagline of the game is "EVERYBODY DIES!" and I think it would demonstrate that you are all true fans if you took that advice and hung yourselves (or as close to it as the chunky guy can get) on webcam. I have XP so I'll be able to screenshot that shit, no problem.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:37 pm

pinback, I meant no offence. Just "Chat box said the screenshot was taken" == "Screenshot was taken". I can see no exceptions. The only place where there could be an error is your search. Are you sure it was for BPM (not JPG or something) files?...

Ice Cream Jonsey, I could have started mixing you with shit but why would I want to please you with that, kid?..

Return to “General”