Do I understand the extent of the game?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

City Builder
level2
level2

Do I understand the extent of the game?

Postby City Builder » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:02 pm

For some reason I seem to remember there was a lot more to the game then what I've been experiencing... As it is now it sort of plays out like this:

1. I start a game (either with AI or humans)
2. We place all of our silos, airports, navy etc.
3. We each send our navy at whomever is the enemy (usually a free for all)
4. Once defcon 1 is reached we start bombarding each other with Nukes.

5. Game over.

I could have sworn there was more to it than this.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:21 pm

If you're talking about 6 player default, that's pretty much the extent of game play now in Defcon. It's evolved into a race at defcon 1 for points. Try 1v1/2v2/and or diplomacy. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:21 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:It's evolved into a race at defcon 1 for points.

NO!
Even if this would be the case, hindering your strongest opponent is still some strategie you wanna use.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:42 am

In 6-player default, I agree with Ace. Any attempt to hinder opponents is simply taking your forces away from grabbing cities faster. Diplo for the most epictaular win.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:33 pm

It is a race to the big cities, to some extent, but for big points you've gotta take out a neighbor's defenses and hit all the little cities as well. You can't play defense with your navy too much, or there will be nothing left to hit, by the time you come out of your shell.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:47 am

Taking out defenses is a waste of time and nukes in my opinion - the amount of nukes it takes to take out a well-grouped defensive silo layout could be used to reduce every city within the silos' range of defense to <1m population with a well-planned strike.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:35 am

Pox wrote:Taking out defenses is a waste of time and nukes in my opinion - the amount of nukes it takes to take out a well-grouped defensive silo layout could be used to reduce every city within the silos' range of defense to <1m population with a well-planned strike.

On the other hand, each enemy silo contains 10 nukes, each of which can be used to earn points for your enemy. You can either get point, or prevent an enemy from getting them. Preventing an enemy from scoring is often just as good as scoring points yourself.

xander
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:47 am

Pox wrote:Taking out defenses is a waste of time and nukes in my opinion - the amount of nukes it takes to take out a well-grouped defensive silo layout could be used to reduce every city within the silos' range of defense to <1m population with a well-planned strike.

I think you're under-estimating the level of suck signing on to the 6-player default servers... People put silos on borders... everything in radar range... fleets of 6 ships.. etc. You can rape someone's navy and silos, with half your fleet, then hit big cities, further away, with the rest.

If there are only 2-3 strong players, then it often turns into a race to see who can rape the noobs faster. So if you take out most of the competition's navy/silos, you win.

Also, when I take out silos, I make sure to hit most of the big cities at the same time I'm hitting silos. Full bomber attack + subs. Plenty of nukes to go around.The city-bound missles draw ABM away from silo-bound missles, and vice versa, making it easier to land nukes.

People on 6-player often overlook 2-4mill cities, but they add up fast!
Johnis
level2
level2

Postby Johnis » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:11 am

1) You don't remove silos . They protect your points from the other players.
2) Get points as fast as you can from as many players as you can
3) Launch as fast as you can from silos because a few silly players might want to destroy em instead of bombing cities.
4) If you don't like 6 player games and find em silly for that reason (hitting cities around etc etc ) play diplomacy games where they combine strategy,politics,revenge,spying,conspiracies, intrigues.
5) 6 players games with default scoring system are nice to test bombing skills.
6 players games with survival scoring system are nice to test defense skills, and instant destruction country skills.(fast silo removal,airports removal).
2 players games is pure strategy and training for the above modes.
So.... DEFCON is not one strategy game where you play and if you are good you win forever. You have to combine many things to achieve victories skills-spying-diplomacy.
You will find no other strategy game like defcon which combines all of the above.

Enjoy and understand the purpose of each mode. There are times that you have to ally with noobs players . You simply still ....have no knowledge about the game.
There is always way to get proper points to achieve victory.
Also keep in mind that in 6 player's game the victorious players are 2 not 1. Also that is same in diplo mode.
Gulidar
level4
level4

Postby Gulidar » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:56 am

Johnis wrote:Also keep in mind that in 6 player's game the victorious players are 2 not 1.

Huh?
What is the death of one world in the cause of purity?
Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Reorganisation is Under Way
Last edited by Cobra Commander on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:06 am

Cobra Commander wrote:Insane ramblings

Can you do something about your avatar? :roll:

....make it BIGGER!!

Return to “General”