Diplomacy at its best

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

snwcrsh
level2
level2

Diplomacy at its best

Postby snwcrsh » Thu May 29, 2008 7:01 pm

I just was lucky enough to spectate a really entertaining Diplomacy Game. But then, games with AceRimmer are usually always entertaining. The setup as follows:

AceRimmer: USSR
TheWolf: Europe
CptDarkNuggets: Asia
PsychoticCharlie: Africa
UFO: S.A.
T-95: N.A.

I first thought that Ace was pokering with his units as he did not place anything before way after defcon 4. But I think he was actually AFK. His setup was simple, Silos clustered with lotsof radars and the airfields in the north central region, 4 battleships in the pacific, (why, ace, you call them bb's actually? wouldn't that be bs?) and the rest was placed in the arctic ocean, along with all subs which, stacked neatly in 2'er groups, quickly retracted to the northern border.

As soon as Defcon 3 hit, Ace attacked T-95's carriers at the NA west coast, sinking one. I think (not sure) that Europe already had dropped by that time. Either way, it seems T-95 was pretty pissed about that and his kickvote succeeded, so Ace was alone, with the triggerhappy CPU to his left side...

Unexperienced players might have thought that this meant the end of USSR hopes for anything but utter destruction, but not so if you know Ace. In these situations the fun actually begins for him.

It was NA that launched first, aiming at USSR silos. USSR reacted by firing its full silo arsenal on Europe and actually got everything (I think) off, before NA missiles and EU retaliation strike hit. Sure enough, Eurasia was pretty much a mess after that, mutant ants are to be expected soon.

I must admit, I did not focus much on the other part of the world, so I don't know about any vicious plans or private negotiations. USSR at least was now moving his carriers eastwards over siberia, harrassing Asia with Bomber runs onto it's installation.

I don't know what actually caused it, but T-95 was then kicked from the diplomacy alliance, which started some ICBM action. Ace obviously figured about a way to get back into the game (he couldn't move his fleet down into the pacific yet as it was well covered) and found a very nifty way. He joined N.A. as ally, and before he gave an answer to USA's "radar?" inquiry, he was back into the diplomacy alliance. I don't know who talked with whom here, but it must have been fun.

Anyway, the rest of the story is told rather quickly; with Asias support Ace was able to move his fleet into the Pacific and bring his subs into position beneath Mexico. SA/NA launched at each other, but for some reason SA also attacked installations in Africa (while still allied). Africa fired back, but not only on installations but also on cities -- in the end he collected 36m colletaral damage for it. Eventually Africa left the Alliance and joined N.A. in an hopeless effort to prevent oncoming doom.

USSR, with support from Asian subs and S.A. nuking material then masslaunched his sub nukes at NA, eradicating the USA and leaving T-95 with 0 points. Due to well calculated (?) shots on Cairo and EU targets, Ace actually managed to finish in third place, giving the diplomacy alliance a clear win. Great game, guys, this really was fun to watch. If I missed anything or got anything wrong, feel free to correct me :) Here's the shot:

Last edited by snwcrsh on Fri May 30, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CptDarknuggets
level1
level1

Postby CptDarknuggets » Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 pm

Throughout the whole game me and Ace had some kind of secret alliance going on, but I knew that first chance he would get he would backstab me but my fleet dominated the pacific so he didnt bother. I reckoned that T-95 was trying to manipulate the rest of the alliance at the start so we would nuke Ace then eventually ourselves. He denied this at the end but through the game he was saying "SA should have nuked Asia like I told him to" but it wasn't working out for him.
I didn't really need to do anything the nukes I launched from my silos barely hit their target and I still had forty left at the end so it was bombers and subs that were on the menu making sure that everyone got a serving of P-239.
And it was a really long fun game. If you want a yard stick I managed to listen to 3 foofighters albums throughout the game.
snwcrsh
level2
level2

Postby snwcrsh » Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Heh, interesting. Because I believed from the beginning that you and Ace were working together -- you remember he had 2 BS on top your units but did not attack. While he DID attack NA with those. But then you launched against him so I thought I might have been wrong :)
CptDarknuggets
level1
level1

Postby CptDarknuggets » Thu May 29, 2008 7:26 pm

I felt bad for him being kicked but at the same time I had give the impression that I was doing something for the alliance. He got me back though by taking out most of my North Eastern cities and a few radar.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Re: Diplomacy at its best

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 29, 2008 8:08 pm

snwcrsh wrote:I first thought that Ace was pokering with his units as he did not place anything before way after defcon 4. But I think he was actually AFK.

Yep, I had to get interupted right at the start!

snwcrsh wrote:(why, ace, you call them bb's actually? wouldn't that be bs?)
Wiki wrote:BB may also mean:

* Black British, and ethnic group of the United Kingdom
* BB, demo program for AAlib
* [BB] Brightest Blessings
* BB gun, especially the ammunition for it
* BB-caliber ammunition
* Baby, in Chinglish
* Battleship, US Navy hull classification symbol

Thus a single battleship is a bb. :wink:

snwcrsh wrote:As soon as Defcon 3 hit, Ace attacked T-95's carriers at the NA west coast, sinking one. I think (not sure) that Europe already had dropped by that time. Either way, it seems T-95 was pretty pissed about that and his kickvote succeeded, so Ace was alone, with the triggerhappy CPU to his left side...

This was actually quite funny. I set two bb's on top of CptDarknuggets subs but told him I wasn't going to attack. I thought about it several times and eventually decided that having a non so hostile asia would be good for once. I sailed the other two bb's straight towards LA and I think T-95 didn't notice until they were on top of his carriers shooting at them (right off his coast). Heh.

snwcrsh wrote:Unexperienced players might have thought that this meant the end of USSR hopes for anything but utter destruction, but not so if you know Ace. In these situations the fun actually begins for him.

True, all you really need is a navy and you can really do some damage. :P

Premium diplomacy is the best, cause you get to mess with people and sometimes get away with it. :P Thanks for posting the debrief.
snwcrsh
level2
level2

Postby snwcrsh » Thu May 29, 2008 8:59 pm

Thank you for clarification and please excuse my military ignorance. Hope to see you ingame soon.

Oh, btw... I was wondering a bit why you moved your subs so late? I expected them to leave earlier, either east or west, couldn't you decide?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 29, 2008 11:15 pm

I debated back and forth and at the same time was trying to see if I could trust asia's reporting of USA's navy. I wanted to go through the Bering way earlier, but needed to make sure my navy didn't have to fight some massive fleet battle. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
snwcrsh
level2
level2

Postby snwcrsh » Thu May 29, 2008 11:31 pm

Alas, yes. That was interesting. When you had your carriers lined up for the first time to pass Bering, T-95 had sent two fighters up there to scout -- then you drew back your fleet immediately. I was thinking you were lucky there a bit; if you had not encountered NA forces, you might have pushed down earlier and would have run into a massive carrier/sub/BB stack.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 pm

I was "informed" and then cease fired to prevent him noticing. BB fired once anyway.
snwcrsh
level2
level2

Postby snwcrsh » Fri May 30, 2008 1:01 am

Yes, and he didn't notice :-)
CptDarknuggets
level1
level1

Postby CptDarknuggets » Fri May 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I was "informed" and then cease fired to prevent him noticing. BB fired once anyway.
Yeah being nice and not backstabbing just for the hell of it gets you in someones good books. If I do play you again though, you are still the backstabbiest person in the whole game.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm

CptDarknuggets wrote:If I do play you again though, you are still the backstabbiest person in the whole game.

*holds up certificate obtained from Peace and Love, hugs certificate

The only person I probably have never ever backstabbed, even in diplomacy is Feud. I think. Maybe. I honestly did consider pushing my carriers over to the US after you helped remove his navy and sneaking my subs by to launch out of your radar near Indonesia. :P
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri May 30, 2008 3:47 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:The only person I probably have never ever backstabbed, even in diplomacy is Feud. I think.

I can't remember it happening.
CptDarknuggets
level1
level1

Postby CptDarknuggets » Fri May 30, 2008 4:24 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
CptDarknuggets wrote:If I do play you again though, you are still the backstabbiest person in the whole game.

*holds up certificate obtained from Peace and Love, hugs certificate

The only person I probably have never ever backstabbed, even in diplomacy is Feud. I think. Maybe. I honestly did consider pushing my carriers over to the US after you helped remove his navy and sneaking my subs by to launch out of your radar near Indonesia. :P
Thats why I brought my carriers back and left the BSs near USA because I was thinking you would at least have some subs there.
T-95
level2
level2

Postby T-95 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:01 pm

snwcrsh wrote:Yes, and he didn't notice :-)

I've sent my fighters after Ace turned his radar sharing to me for some reason. So I've seen all of his fleet. I didn't send my fleet to intercept them because they would be lost anyways. Plus my carriers didn't have nukes.

Return to “The Debriefing Room”