Premium Diplomacy, Ain't It Great!

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Premium Diplomacy, Ain't It Great!

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:20 pm

It's been such a long time since I've done a debrief, I thought I'd throw one out there.

Diplomacy Premium, (MOR) as S. America and myself as Europe.

Defcon 5-4

I go about placing my subs in fleets to two, then moving them northwest over Greenland to get them out of radar (before there is any). (MOR) let's me know he's gonna hit the USA (a given :P) and I can take whatever I want (as a target). Africa unfortunately places a couple of mixed fleets near/in my waters and I set bb's in between them/around them for carrier sub kills come defcon 3. Hehe, you can't move away when two bb's are sitting in the middle of your six ship fleet. I gain Russia's trust and place there rest of my fleet next to Iceland and Silos/airbases/radar as far northeast as possible.

I inform Russia of my plans to hit Africa come defcon 1, get assurance of no backstab, and wait.

Defcon 3-2

My bb's start killing Africa's carriers and subs. Then finish off the bb's without get shot back at. :shock: He did send a couple of fighters but too late. (MOR) sends a massive bomber wave due north from Brazil. We're

While my subs are moving off and have not been in Radar, thus invisible, Russia has been moving two carriers due west towards Greenland. So, I have to maneuver my subs around as his carriers radar almost gets in range right before Defcon 1. Then some more maneuvering to avoid anti sub mode. Don't want him finding 12 subs lying north west coming back to me. :P

Defcon 1

I open up and begin hitting Africa, who's spread out his ground units nicely. I get kicked. Dang, blue. Russia joins me. Whew! My nukes were flying right over his silos, hate to have them all shot down. (MOR) and I share radar, ceasefire. He completes the destruction of USA, and I Africa. Russia and Asia go at the whole game but I'm never really bothered from any navy.

Once Russia had used up his silos, depleted his naval nukes, and I had emptied all of my airbases of nukes I restock them with empty bombers and bring in my carriers to sit over Norway. Heh. I tell him I'm going towards Asia and begin unloading 12 carriers worth of bombers right over northwest Russia, where all his silos are. With my 12 subs sitting pretty under my carriers I wait till just the right moment, well maybe a bit early, and nuke his 9-12 three ship fleets sitting over Moscow, nuke a couple of silos, and destroy the necessary radar to hide my about_to_be_surfaced sub fleet of 12.

Up pop the 12, as the empty bombers from airbases are restocking carriers and away we go.

hehe, at one point (MOR) used my radar to naval nuke Russia's bb's moving down to protect his subs going south. Those subs popped up with zero protection once I destroyed Russia. Bombers, bb's, and other active subs make short work of them.

Fun game. I won too! Credit goes to (MOR)

(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Hehe, that was nice Diplomania :D

Ace Rimmer surrounded by Russia, Africa and US, so he must to kill Africa first and gain Russia trust, my role was to kill US subs to clean the Atlantic, and killing US silos + airbases and tell Asia that Ace Rimmer is a friend for he dont use Africa airspace to hit Europe, Defcon 1 Africa down by Ace Rimmer and US by me so no danger come from the Atlantic, Ace Rimmer send masive bombers towards Russia silos and use subs to hit cites, I asked Russia to join me, Africa and the Asia "CPU" why ? Cause Asia was already launch his silos against Russia and like that Russia lost silos and Asia waste points, that help Ace to complete his mission in Russia and help me to save my nukes 8)
Solanum
level1
level1

Postby Solanum » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:05 pm

poor russia...
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu May 01, 2008 5:27 am

:(

I should resync my head to be in a more useful timezone... I rarely get to play a Diplo game with anyone decent.
T-95
level2
level2

Postby T-95 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:27 pm

Diplomacy is really a great mode. You gotta think a lot and manipulate other people to waste their arsenal :P Good game for both of you, sounds like it was an great game :)
So Ace....maybe....play....me....in...diplomacy...game? ;)
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Thu May 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Been in any interesting :wink: Default games lately Ace? :lol:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 01, 2008 5:01 pm

Hehe, maybe. :P Anybody up for premium diplo now?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sat May 03, 2008 12:27 am

Were are you Ace Rimmer, me and Mike waiting for you in diplomacy..
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat May 03, 2008 1:03 am

Heh, that post was from yesterday :P
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Mon May 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Slight topic bump, but due to the demise of the 1v1 ladder I've been playing a lot of diplo recently, and premium diplo when possible

Had a classic game recently, started with taking out 3 of my neighbours subs with battleships at defcon 3, which degenerated into a full micro fleet battle in Defcon 2 - let me tell you, there is a whole new skill to this, bombers are absolutely lethal with compulsory radar sharing, but asfar as I can tell, you can't get them to fly one place and target somewhere else, like normal. And because of this, bombers are absolutely vulnerable to fighters with compulsory radar sharing!

Since it was 2/3 of my fleet vs 1/2 of his, I eventually won the battle of the south atlantic, and he was eventually kicked which made targeting easier. Then I was in an informal radar-sharing alliance with Europe for the rest of the game - everything went to plan, though I mistimed by backstab on EU and he won by 1 million. Everything that a premium diplo could ask for

(I mean, really, people who insist on putting their subs in radar range deserve what they get ;-) )

Cheers, Tripper

PS - I've also noticed that the way people react to you in diplomacy (and 6p in general) depends a lot on your name. Certain people's reputation precedeth them, and sometimes its good to pretend to be noobish (not to the extent of noobish silo setups or you'll just get picked off). Spieler, in the game above, was doing a very good job of impersonating NewPlayer 8)

And just to give the game away, my new Diplo nick: Words < Actions. I don't think people have caught on to the fact that it's a clue to my playing style ...!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon May 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Tripper wrote:let me tell you, there is a whole new skill to this, bombers are absolutely lethal with compulsory radar sharing, but asfar as I can tell, you can't get them to fly one place and target somewhere else, like normal. And because of this, bombers are absolutely vulnerable to fighters with compulsory radar sharing!

Wrong! Trust me, you can still target with bombers keeping them behind your bb's to take out fighters or other ships moving in. Heh, it just takes a lot more time and effort because if you get into a full scale naval battle before defcon 1 you have to target and re-target everything.

When playing premium diplomacy, I always give warning that ships in my waters will be destroyed (at defcon 3) Nobody ever listens. :lol:
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Mon May 19, 2008 3:58 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Wrong! Trust me, you can still target with bombers keeping them behind your bb's to take out fighters or other ships moving in. Heh, it just takes a lot more time and effort because if you get into a full scale naval battle before defcon 1 you have to target and re-target everything.

Right, I'll have to work on that. Although a lot of people seem to have trouble with it - you see bombers streaming straight for the enemy fleet quite a lot ...
Ace Rimmer wrote:When playing premium diplomacy, I always give warning that ships in my waters will be destroyed (at defcon 3) Nobody ever listens. :lol:

Defend your own waters? pfft! I go one better - send scout battleships deep into enemy waters to take out any subs I can see ... it's the only way to be sure!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon May 19, 2008 4:02 pm

Hmm, Did I say defend my waters? :P I said, "any ships in my waters" which gives a green light to attack (anything).

In order of preference, I go subs > carriers (if in range) > bb's (if no bombers are up).

Heh, once as Africa I put most (maybe all) of my bb's in the Atlantic and almost all carriers in the Indian and marched forward pushing S. America back to his coast. Turned out to be a decent trade off. Had like 2 or 4 bb's left and killed tons of bombers and ships before defcon 1.
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Mon May 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Hmm, Did I say defend my waters? :P

Yes. Yes you did. You said:

Ace Rimmer wrote:I said, "any ships in my waters"
;)

Generally as Africa I try to dissuade SA from placing ships in the atlantic at all. He can go and use them on someone else ... usually doesn't work though!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon May 19, 2008 4:50 pm

:P

Return to “The Debriefing Room”