Cold War MOD

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Fat Man
level0

Cold War MOD

Postby Fat Man » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:53 pm

After weeks of skimming the forums without actually registering, I thought it was odd that nobody made a mod encompassing the Cold War Factions (except for the cold war polar mod by namtih -- from which I got my inspiration from ).

Thanks to all the guides here, I worked around a bit and changed the corresponding territories as,
1) North America as NATO (N.A. and Western Europe excluding Turkey)
2) Russia as the Warsaw Pact/Soviet Union (Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union)
3) East Asia as Red China (added North Korea)
4) Europe...well, they're gone
5) South America and Africa remain as they are...couldn't think of anything else for them...

http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/70520 ... ld_war.zip

Some images below

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r142 ... pture1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r142 ... pture3.jpg

The units and buildings are replaced by my icons -- please tell me if you like them, I'll add them too (the B-52 icons, unlike most of them out there, have way thicker lines, thereby making them far easier too distinguish)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r142 ... pture5.jpg

Enjoy the mod and suggestions are always welcome!
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:17 pm

The SAM and the LRBM icons look too similar to each other. That'd be my only criticism. I think having distinctive silhouettes makes unit ID much simpler, which might explain why the default units are just outlines for the most part.

I like the idea of having separate images for submerged subs and surfaced subs. That's kinder to newbies than the default images, actually. Unfortunately, I'll be a demo player for a while, so I can't play the mod. Keep up the good work!
Fat Man
level0

Postby Fat Man » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:17 am

Sure, I'll work on that, however, you still can play the mod even with the demo version.
Open the zip file and continue until you find the folder "earth." Just copy and paste it in your data folder in your demo (make one if there isn't). The map will work when you play the game. Find (or get) a gameoptions.txt and you can even change gametypes and populations with it too.
The 2-player restriction still apply, though :wink:
Kumiankka
level1
level1

Postby Kumiankka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:03 pm

Nice!

However I'll have to point out that Finland still isn't part of NATO, and certainly wasn't anywhere near joining NATO during the Cold War! Ditto for Switzerland.

Czechoslovakia, on the other hand, was part of the Warsaw Pact, and should be added to that alliance.

PS. The Soviets also seem to be missing the Caucasian states - Georgia, Azerbaijan, etc.

Fat Man
level0

Postby Fat Man » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 am

That's true! Musta forgotten my basic Cold War facts :oops:

Come to think of it, Greenland, Greece, and Turkey are also missing...then again, should I leave them out for balancing?
Kumiankka
level1
level1

Postby Kumiankka » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:08 pm

Well, since you've put Spain in NATO then you should probably have Greece and Turkey as well, as they both joined well before Spain did. But I could understand leaving them out for game balance reasons, so it's your call. Greenland shouldn't be a game balance problem since West Europe is allied with USA anyway - go for it.

If you do include Greece and Turkey, that would put the timeframe of your mod between 1982 and 1990, which ties in well with the whole 'global thermonuclear war' theme.

Oh, and the Republic of Ireland should be neutral, only Northern Ireland is part of NATO as part of the UK.
Fat Man
level0

Postby Fat Man » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:04 pm

Well, I put Greece in, and Turkey was excluded since NATO gets radar coverage way deeper than Omsk, depending on the world scale. You're totally correct abound Ireland, though I couldn't succeed in getting the right amount of territory to cover the northern tip :(

Anybody's free to try and expand on it...so kudos to you if you can make it work without blotting out the cities

http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/71519 ... pdate1.zip
Merkwurdigliebe
level1
level1

Postby Merkwurdigliebe » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Very fine idea, though one should artificially balance it with variable unit counts... Thanks!
Merkwurdigliebe a.k.a. lambda*sqrt(u*x)

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
robert CL
level0

Using different icons per nation or per side

Postby robert CL » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:42 am

Hello,

I have just discovered and purchased the game.
I have also used your mod.

Great job done by the game producer and for this mod, congratulations!

My personnal installation includes:
- the "cold war" text message used in the intro
- the "Cold War" mod (new zones in the map)
- the "Moskov mod" (new icons) for the graphical part (fighters, bombers, battleships)
- the "shipsub" mod (new icons: Ohio for submerged and surfaced subs as well as carriers)

Question:
is is possible to use specific icons per nation, I mean using some icons of the the "plane collection" mod in your "cold war" mod ?
e.g. USSR has Tu95 as bomber and a Mig as fighter, UK would have Vulcans as bombers and Harriers as fighters, USA would have B52 as bombers and F14 (or any other US fighter) as fighters and so on.
Same thing for submarines: Ohio class for NATO and Typhoon class for Warsaw pact.
We can also make various Cold War mods depending on the chosen period of time defining the types of icons used: planes used in the sixties are not those used in the nineties. Perhaps such "cosmetic" changes are not necessary but they could bring to the game more immersion, a better "feeling" than the use of standard "neutral icons" valid for any nation.

The game uses the same icons for each nation so standard icons are "a priori" better in this assumption: if we use a F22 raptor as standard fighter it would be a problem for USSR for instance.
Note that neutral icons developped in the Moskov mod are better than the original ones.

In case of impossibility to make a distinction between nation, would it be possible to make only a distinction between two sides (one group of icons for NATO and a different group for Warsaw Pact) ?

This is just food for thought. What do you think, is it possible to use 2 different sets of isons per side (NATO vs Warsaw Pact) ?

Then the readme file of the Cold War mod does not really bring info on differences with the original game, could you tell us more ?
Zones of the world are different but are the ranges of action of ships reduced compared with the original game ? idem for detection range of radars and SAM ?

Thx.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Using different icons per nation or per side

Postby xander » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:18 am

robert CL wrote:is is possible to use specific icons per nation...

No, it is not. This is a limitation of the game engine, and there is nothing that anyone can do about it without source code.

robert CL wrote:In case of impossibility to make a distinction between nation, would it be possible to make only a distinction between two sides (one group of icons for NATO and a different group for Warsaw Pact) ?

Again, not possible. There are some things that you can do to cheat with the colors, a bit, but they don't work very well, and are reliant upon people being certain colors.

robert CL wrote:... but are the ranges of action of ships reduced compared with the original game ?

No, they are not. Again, this is beyond the ability of modding.

xander
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:35 am

xander wrote:
robert CL wrote:... but are the ranges of action of ships reduced compared with the original game ?

xander

Can't you set up a game with BigWorld rules?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:49 pm

microchip08 wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

Can't you set up a game with BigWorld rules?

That would change all of the units detection and combat ranges by the same proportion, so it doesn't really do what the original poster wanted to do, I think, which is to change unit's detection and combat ranges on a case by case basis. Also, changing the world scale effects other things, as well, like number of units, and the speed at which units move.

xander
nycoroner05
level0

Icons

Postby nycoroner05 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:51 am

Can you send me your icons? There are great
NuclearCactus
level0

Postby NuclearCactus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:01 am

anyone have the file and mind uploading it or emailing it to me? the link is dead. looks like a sick mod, none the less.
Teddy Coalition
level2
level2

Postby Teddy Coalition » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:56 am

A cold war mod eh? looks good. I was working on one like 3 years ago.
Feel free to use anything that's there...

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... highlight=
Join the Coalition or perish at it's feet!

Return to “Mod Projects”