ShinyBonsai manouvre(TM)?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

recon
level1
level1

ShinyBonsai manouvre(TM)?

Postby recon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:10 pm

I searched the forums, but I can't seem to figure out what this ShinyBonsai manovure is, let alone it's disputed fairness and such. Along with that, i saw FEUD in the context of a move of some sort. Would anybody know what either/or of these moves are?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:12 pm

Sure, just a moment...

Edit: Here you go, shinyBonsai.

Edit2: The condensed shinygerbil version which I like. :D

shinygerbil wrote:Well, here's the gist:

Erasmus J Homeowner: I saw some play that was perfectly legal but very unsporting, so I'm dropping out of the tournament. I don't want to be a part of that.

Weps: GRRRRRR

Everyone else: OMG CHEATERS!!!! THIS IS REALLY BAD AND DEFINITELY CHEATING!!!! DIE!!!!

A few others, such as xander, RedDwarf and bert: It's evil, but not cheating. Naughty naughty. Now let's discuss tactics...

Me and Bonsai: Actually is was f**king risky, and it's not cheating. Imagine what could happen if one of us decided to backstab. Also, aren't some people being a bit harsh? :(

Everyone else: K you're right I guess.

A few others, such as xander, RedDwarf and bert: Yup, told you. Anyway, you can have your revenge in the next round.

Erasmus J Homeowner: I overreacted a little, but my point stands. I didn't expect everyone to roast shiny and Bonsai so much.

Me and Bonsai: No worries, you were right to bring it up. 'Tis cool.

Erasmus J Homeowner: lol

Me and Bonsai: lol

A few others, such as xander, RedDwarf and bert: lol

Everyone else: lol

Weps: *silence* :(
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:54 pm

recon wrote: Along with that, i saw FEUD in the context of a move of some sort. Would anybody know what either/or of these moves are?

There are several things in Defcon that have come to be associated with me. Most of them are some variant of curling up in a corner whilst trying to protect vital and/or easily deformable body parts from the vicious attacks of players far better then myself.

Once these are thus attributed to me by people other then myself there is an immediate wave of people who insist on adding insult to the injury garnered in my failed protection attempt by pointing out that I wasn't the first one to come up with the ideas. At that point I emerge from my protective position to point out that I never said that I was, that I have repeatedly said that I got the idea from somewhere else or by pure accident, and that I never asked or suggested that anything to be named after me (or that I replaced the name with better ones offered by other people since I am without naming talent).
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:57 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:29 am

I don't like your new avatar, mvpe.

DO IT BETTER
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:41 am

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
recon
level1
level1

Postby recon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:58 pm

...wow. Two points:

1. i just learned how active the defcon forums are. REALLY active.

2. I wouldn't do that for my life. not because i consider it cheating or anything, but it's just too incredibly easy for an opponent to backstab you in the manouvre. i mean, really.

i'm hoping to buy it soon, but i don't have a credit card, and the price just went up 2 USD. stupid american dollar.

Addendum:

3. Huh. Feud's a person. I can sympathize with the fetal position strategy a lot, seeing i've been mostly playing with the AI, which tends to launch every single one of it's nukes at the start, which i defend against, then launch three/fourths of my nukes, and then the submarines decide to come out on the exact opposite side of where i just put my carriers. (that game actually turned out 250 to 8, my win.) If it helps, your name was referred to as a silo pattern, which (i'm guessing) is to crowd them together so they protect each other or something.

Addendum II:

Huh. my sig isn't showing up.
Backstabbing is all fun and games until you realize your knife is blunt.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:17 pm

No-one's sig is showing up, courtesy of the fact that they only show with the Uplink theme ;)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
recon
level1
level1

Postby recon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:26 pm

huh. that was 1. fast, and 2. why? why on earth would sigs not show up on the default defcon forum theme, and isn't obviously documented?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:54 pm

recon wrote:
3. Huh. Feud's a person. I can sympathize with the fetal position strategy a lot, seeing i've been mostly playing with the AI, which tends to launch every single one of it's nukes at the start, which i defend against, then launch three/fourths of my nukes, and then the submarines decide to come out on the exact opposite side of where i just put my carriers. (that game actually turned out 250 to 8, my win.) If it helps, your name was referred to as a silo pattern, which (i'm guessing) is to crowd them together so they protect each other or something.

Yeah, the silo pattern is the one that is my avatar. It went along with the strategy that I was/am a big proponent of, that of protecting your units and nukes more then your cities. The idea is that by focusing on defending your units you preserve your ability to score, and by focusing on destroying the opponents units you prevent them from scoring. You then let the 2 point per kill 1 point per survivor default scoring system make up the difference.

There is another strategy dubbed "Suisilos" that people gave me credit for, and I'm also the one that people usually point to when the discussion of six unit fleets as a viable strategy comes up.

Basically, people made the mistake of thinking that I actually know what I'm doing in the game.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:58 pm

Feud wrote:Basically, people made the mistake of thinking that I actually know what I'm doing in the game.

...until they play (perhaps played now?) him and then realize it wasn't a mistake after all... :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:00 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:...until they play (perhaps played now?) him and then realize it wasn't a mistake after all... :wink:

Just three more weeks in this awful apartment, then I should be back in the game!
recon
level1
level1

Postby recon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:51 pm

On that note, i just went out and got a gift card to buy DEFCON with. :D
The bad news is, it takes about an hour to activate.

...one sweet hour until i get an activation key...
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:18 pm

recon wrote:huh. that was 1. fast, and 2. why? why on earth would sigs not show up on the default defcon forum theme, and isn't obviously documented?

Shits and giggles. More specifically, the 'traditional' ikonboard theme for the Uplink forums had sigs - which also served to add individual personality to posts given the absence of avatars - so they were retained there, but otherwise it was felt sigs break the flow of conversation, and so were undesirable. I believe it's not so easy to deactivate specific profile options like that in phpBB 2 with the current complex set up of the IV forums, but the forums will be updated to phpBB 3 some time in the not so distant future, so dealing with problems with the current set up obviously isn't a priority.
Last edited by KingAl on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
recon
level1
level1

Postby recon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Interesting. that's actually pretty sensible.

....thirty minutes till i can buy defcon...

Return to “General”