Does this game upset anyone?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:41 pm

crystal_Palace wrote:seriously, you have got to be kidding me!
the only thing MORE retarded than this discussion, (which involves the real life "feelings" in playing a GAME?!?!) would be a discussion on global warming and AL Gores FANTASY that his movie is REAL! and actually depicts life on our planet, a planet that will ALWAYS take care of itself no matter WHAT we do to it or for it.
PLAY A GAME. Lifes too short to worry about a games impact on your emotional state. You would really have to have some SERIOUS emotional troubles and life threatining issues to get that seriously wierded out by a game.
Remember the first time you played SILENT HILL in the dark??
I do and this is NOTHING! (if you never played silent hill then perhaps you'll not understand creepy! so go ahead and play it)

Oh BTW Get "shivers" and play that in the dark. it could get to you to.

then when your all done getting the creepy out of your system, WAKE THE FUCK UP!
its a game.!
A game that is no more violent then half the games out, that "require" you to kill some one or everyone!
an I have played them all!
gee wizz, emotion's and video games??
Some one call OPRAH!! this sissy need a hUG!

..lol?
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:42 pm

crystal_Palace wrote:seriously, you have got to be kidding me!
the only thing MORE retarded than this discussion, (which involves the real life "feelings" in playing a GAME?!?!) would be a discussion on global warming and AL Gores FANTASY that his movie is REAL! and actually depicts life on our planet, a planet that will ALWAYS take care of itself no matter WHAT we do to it or for it.

Not to further take the thread off-topic, but the Earth is not the primary concern vis a vis global warming. The concern is how it will affect humans. If the world gets warmer, which it is doing, by the way, many species will die, and other species will adapt to fill the empty and new niches. Life will go on. On the other hand, human cities will be flooded, human agriculture may fail, and humans themselves may have a very hard time adapting. I think it is unlikely that humans will be wiped out, though I suppose it is possible, but world economies will be in serious trouble. That is the reason that you should care that the world is getting warmer.

xander
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:44 pm

"Climate change" is certainly a reality. How do you think Ice Ages happen? ;)

The point is, as xander says, the Earth can take care of itself, but we may well die in the process.

world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:03 pm

this is only a video game, if it was real lives, then I would agree, but it isn't

anythin that isn't real can be violent as hell, because I have a GRASP on REALITY, unlike those idiots who played manhunt and ended up killing someone
Chimaera
level2
level2

Postby Chimaera » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:20 pm

I don't really see the connection myself, but oh well.

On the point of global warming I think the following: I am not not entirely sure that all this stuff about the human-caused CO2 levels in the atmosphere causing climate change is plausible; it was always my that methane was the real killer, and that there is a large amount of CO2 is produced by volcanoes and by the natural decay of carbon deposits in the sea. However, I'm not saying that we shouldn't do stuff about the enviroment - what right do we have to put all that crap into the atmosphere. We should recycle as an end in itself - if we use lots of oil, we will run out, and not have any oil left - we should recycle anyway to save valuable limited resources, and if this saves the human race from impending doom, then so be it.

Fix'd
Last edited by Chimaera on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:20 pm

Chimaera wrote:...that there is a large amount of CO2 is produced by volcanoes and by the natural decay of carbon deposits in the sea.

And the earth's climate would change without us. It has done so since it was first formed. :P The question - at least in my mind - is whether we are making a difference, and if we are, is it now too late for us to stop?

Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:22 pm

world idiot wrote:unlike those idiots who played manhunt and ended up killing someone
No such person exists.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:54 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:
world idiot wrote:unlike those idiots who played manhunt and ended up killing someone
No such person exists.

That you know of :roll:
Mojo
level2
level2

Postby Mojo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:58 pm

Yes, crystal_Palace, planet will ALWAYS take care of itself. And ignorant, selfish and irresponsible human race maybe will be on a few century another extinct species like many others. Or with plenty human contribution much sooner... :lol:
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Hyperion wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:
No such person exists.

That you know of :roll:

I think the operative word here is "idiot"

Anyway, I don't find it likely that someone killed someone else because of a videogame, I find it likely that they would do it anyway whether or not they played the game.

I vaguely remember a quote I've seen not long ago, which I'll now paraphrase although I believe it originally mentions movies instead of videogames.

"Videogames don't create psychopaths, but it makes them more creative."
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:54 pm

Hmm...the argument over whether videogames create killers...logically i'd say no but if someone tried to steal my brand new XBOX360 or PC from me i'd certainly go for the jugular :x
crystal_Palace
level2
level2

Postby crystal_Palace » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:00 pm

you are like dominoes. I touch one and KAPOW!!!
all the rest fall
I LOVE IT
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:39 pm

crystal_Palace wrote:you are like dominoes. I touch one and KAPOW!!!
all the rest fall
I LOVE IT

Meh, as long as they create interesting opportunities of debate I really don't care.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:57 am

crystal_Palace wrote:you are like dominoes. I touch one and KAPOW!!!
all the rest fall
I LOVE IT
Urge to replace "all the rest fall" with "we break out the anatomical dolls". Different Domino, I guess.
kb5zht
level1
level1

Postby kb5zht » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:47 am

It's just a game people.
(or is it real? what's the difference.... )

you shouldn't be any more upset about this than when you take out a rook or a knight in chess... or tell somebody to "go fishing" in a card game... etc.

Just a game....
============================
If I WANTED to play a nice game of chess, I would have chosen that option!

YAHOO MESSENGER: KB5ZHT

Return to “General”