How to force opponents think you're an idiot and still win?

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torq
level3
level3

How to force opponents think you're an idiot and still win?

Postby torq » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:50 pm

Recently I've discovered a new tendency which is particularly noticeable in Diplomacy games.
When players deploy their units everything is right there in the open so some try to judge the skill of other players by the units setup.
So if you create tightly packed silos/radars cluster they think something like this "wow, this man is cool", or when you create mixed fleets they tend to think 'Another loser'. Of course, the skill of a player can be judged to a degree by the way he deploys units, but I foresee that it's going to be like this: a new player who had just been toasted by an expert tells his friend "I know the way to win easily, you just need to ..... " and then he simply begins copying the moves of a master. Well, this is an education too, but sooner or later, every noob will know some 'principal rules'. (Especially if IV modifies the tutorial).

What am I getting at. Is there a way of fooling such 'quick learners' by some setup that will look completely 'noobish' but still can give you minimal protection and some advantages over the 'all-killing' setup 'his friend told about'? Every tactics has its counter-tactics, so after I had read the new 'survival guide' I thought it would be interesting to make some research of the tactics that can defeat the currently popular tricks.

Has anyone any ideas?
NMO
Deamon
level2
level2

Postby Deamon » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:06 am

I have learned no matter what the best thing to do is to never underestimate your enemy.
I used to just send 3 nukes at silos, now i send around 9 each.

I do have a tendency to judge others by their naval set-up but nothing else.
And by that I mean, "He's left south africa undefended, must nuke there next !" in a Dip. game.

I suppose you could fool from people into thinking your inexperianced with a new stupid name, not-so-often seen or random silo placement.
But I guess the best thing to do would be to chat to your enemy, even if they don't respond, and just lay down some stupid comments to throw him off guard.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:08 am

The best way I can think of would be to use a different name, then "throw" a game or two. I mean really stink it up. Just goof off, dink around, and generally act dumb.

Then, after a game or two, go for a full out win.
Fidel
level1
level1

Postby Fidel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:30 am

Just sign in as skynet
Shall we play a game of chess ? Y/N
Owner
level1
level1

Postby Owner » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:29 pm

why hide under another name why not just let people realise ur a good player and beat um that way lol basically by making people underestimating you its almost like saying i dont wanna play skilled players i wanna play noobs now i understand that all of you would totally crush me at defcon entirly till my comp exploaded and i died and when i went to hell i died again but wouldnt it make games more challenging if you played under real name all the time:D Now i do understand that u might get massivly teamed if people no u are so good but hey then suddenly instead of being crazy good ur just a normal player making things more interesting?? Plus i dont like smurfs
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:35 pm

that was one long sentence and Ive got to say that i almost ran out of breath reading it cause it was so long and almost never stopped like a sentence should with a period but it doesnt matter now that im done reading it and can take a breath
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Owner
level1
level1

Postby Owner » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Lol didnt really notice that but rlly its the internet who cares about spellin and shit nobody:) well atleast i don
t so im h appy
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:35 pm

Owner wrote:Lol didnt really notice that but rlly its the internet who cares about spellin and shit nobody:) well atleast i don
t so im h appy

Well, here we do. If you don't post coherently, we just ignore you. :P

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:29 am

Owner wrote:Lol didnt really notice that but rlly its the internet who cares about spellin and shit nobody:) well atleast i don
t so im h appy

Well, for one thing, if you expect anyone to read your post, it matters. I know that I simply ignored your longer post, because it was too much trouble to read. So, if you really do want people to consider your opinions, you need to write more clearly. If, on the other hand, you are just banging your fingers on the keyboard, and don't care if anyone reads what you have written, you probably shouldn't bother hitting the submit button.

xander
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:48 am

hate long sentences

short good
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:34 am

t so im h appy
I'm guessing I'm a bit late for:

"Short answer: People who want to read what you're saying. Long answer: Us. (Trust me on this one)"
Owner
level1
level1

Postby Owner » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:28 pm

Well Defcon sucks anyways. Happy?
Deamon
level2
level2

Postby Deamon » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:06 am

You suck by not seeing the potential advantages of deluding your enemy.
And for not liking Defcon on the Defcon forums, you got like a million years of bad karma!

Hah ! Internet wins !
A. Smith
level2
level2

Postby A. Smith » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:36 am

Owner wrote:Well Defcon sucks anyways. Happy?

why are you even on these boards?
kb5zht
level1
level1

Postby kb5zht » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:50 am

maybe Owner, and a few others that post like he does, are the spitting image in real life of "the comic book store guy" from the simpsons.

sad.
============================
If I WANTED to play a nice game of chess, I would have chosen that option!

YAHOO MESSENGER: KB5ZHT

Return to “Strategic Air Command”