Abusive Player

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Abusive Player

Postby mrobertsonesq » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:29 pm

Just a general post about a game I played recently. Now before anyone says "oh, there's no one way to play" or "everybody is different" - I know this, and I'm not trying to make a thing of it, I'm just recounting a story.

It was a 6 player game, no previous history between the players. I took Asia and tried to ally with Russia but was refused. I had implimented something roughly equating to the Star layout, but didn't much fancy going it alone, esp since N and S America would probably ally.

Africa accepted.

We agreed on our tactics, smashed Russia (with the help of EU) and then gave EU a bit of a kicking. North America had been nuked badly by EU, as it seemed a DEMO user with little prior play was at the controls. S America was way too timid and very slow on the agression.

So... taking a step back... I had 80% of my nukes, Africa (allied) had about 35%, EU about 15%, NA and Russia out of equation.

Africa decided to launch on S America. It's worth noting that SA had a very strong six silo defense setup on the east coast, so they blocked most of it. The second Africa launched (all from Silo) I opened up my subs just off India and about half my far side silos.

In short, a backstab that won me the game. S America didn't have enough kills to carry it home.

The very second I launched my first nuke, Africa began swamping the chat screen. At first it was the usual "dude, are them nukes for me?" "wtf!" etc etc. But then as more and more of the nukes hit home he became more and more agressive, resorting to constant swearing.

In the end I didn't say anything and just launched more bombers :twisted: but I was surprised at how rude he was going to be on a public stream.
Most people, myself included, will still say "gg" even after a terrible, bloodthirsty backstab. Hey, that's what makes the game fun, right?

Obviously no names mentioned, and I know some people are odd, but it's the first time I've ever had DEFCON-rage. :cry:
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Yeah the abuse happens with a good backstab, and I can remember the first time it happened to me I was really annoyed - though I didnt resort to abusing the player and was able to say 'gg' at the end, albeit very grudgingly.

I think its just that Defcon is more geared towards the backstab than any other game I've played, and it can take a while for players to realise that it more often than not is the best way to win a game. Its probably a hangover from other online games where once an alliance is set it normally will stick that way and players assume it will be the same in defcon.

It seems that in quite a few games now that if I have 2 or 3 people swearing and stuff at me I've probably had a very good game. :D
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:52 pm

walrus47 wrote:It seems that in quite a few games now that if I have 2 or 3 people swearing and stuff at me I've probably had a very good game. :D

That, good sir, is very true. I royally kicked arse and it felt great.

I must say, once he kicked off and started up it felt even better being able to switch 3 airbases to bombers and send a swarm towards his remaining cities - just because he was throwing his toys out.

:twisted: :twisted: 8) :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “General”