Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

neoxes
level1
level1

Build and install an object with lua scripting

Postby neoxes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:54 am

Hi all!
I'm working on a mod and I'm wondering if there's a way to simulate the build and installation of an object with lua scripting. Thanks for replying!
murgh
level2
level2

Re: Build and install an object with lua scripting

Postby murgh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Why not, just spawn the stuff.
neoxes
level1
level1

Postby neoxes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:45 pm

murgh wrote:Why not, just spawn the stuff.

I know that function, but I don't want to spawn the object, I'd like to build and install it. This way, the workers get materials from the storage.
This is my objective:
- I want to "paint" objects (changing their sprite) like Brento mod, but I'd like to do it via interface, without building a paint tool.

So:
- Install a paintable object (scripting it and adding "Paintable" property)
- User can choose a color via interface (this code is really simple)
- If user changes the color, paint material is ordered and delivered to storage
- Workers go to the storage and bring paint to the object
- Workers paint the object
dsdude123
level2
level2

Postby dsdude123 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:10 am

neoxes wrote:
murgh wrote:Why not, just spawn the stuff.

I know that function, but I don't want to spawn the object, I'd like to build and install it. This way, the workers get materials from the storage.
This is my objective:
- I want to "paint" objects (changing their sprite) like Brento mod, but I'd like to do it via interface, without building a paint tool.

So:
- Install a paintable object (scripting it and adding "Paintable" property)
- User can choose a color via interface (this code is really simple)
- If user changes the color, paint material is ordered and delivered to storage
- Workers go to the storage and bring paint to the object
- Workers paint the object

This is possible. This can be done by making a job when the color is changed. Here is an example of changing the color of a door to red.

When a color is selected (in this case red) you could have your Lua script call the following function:

Code: Select all

function ChangeColor(string color)

if color = "red" then
this.PaintColor = 1 --better to store the color in a numerical value rather than a string
this.CreateJob("PaintObject")
end

end

The function this.CreateJob will then call the following job in a jobs.txt file included with your mod:

BEGIN Job
   Name            PaintObject
   JobTime             10
   Material            PaintBucket
   Tool               PaintBrush
   Worker                 Workman
END

After that job is completed, the following function is called by the game, this function then changes the color:

function JobComplete_PaintObject()
    if this.PaintColor = 1 then
        this.SubType = 1
    end
end

Please note that for the above code to work (particualary the function this.SubType) you will need to define multiple sprites for the object, you will need a sprite for each color, below is an example of an entry for the object in materials.txt. The first sprite listed would be the unpainted object or the default color and is subtype 0. The second sprite would be for the color red and is subtype 1:

BEGIN Object     
    Name                 Door
    Price                -450
    Width                1 
    Height               1
     ConstructionTime     2.00000
    Toughness            10.0000 
    MaxStackSize         1
    RenderDepth          0 
    NumSlots          1
    Properties           StaticObject
    Properties           Paintable
    Properties          Scripted
     Group                StaticObject
     BlockedBy            Wall 
    BlockedBy            StaticObject
    BEGIN   Sprite
        y 8 
        w 2 
        h 2 
    END
    BEGIN   Sprite
        y 10 
        w 2 
        h 2 

END
END

Hope this helps!
neoxes
level1
level1

Postby neoxes » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks pal!
Anyway, I already made that code, the problem is that when you script that way a job the worker doesn't go to storage to the get "paint", just work on the object.
I'd like to reproduce those steps (example for a door):
- User places a Door, that is a scriptable object. In Door.lua, Update funcion creates the Interface (various buttons associated with colors).
- When the user click on the interface, choosing a color, I want to:
----- Create an object (not spawn, create), teleportable (or not) to the storage: Paint <------------ HOW CAN I DO THIS?
----- Worker go to storage and bring the Paint to the Door <------------ HOW CAN I DO THIS?
----- Now, your code fits in, Worker completes the Job and paint the door changing its sprite.

Something like flooring or walling, you know? If you create a new material, you can use "ObjectRequired Object" to do what i want to do. The same, but with a door.

Any idea?

Ops... I missed the line: Material Paintbucket, is that the key, right?
murgh
level2
level2

Postby murgh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:23 am

Looks like you're trying to invent the wheel twice: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =540380855
There is already a mod doing this :D
neoxes
level1
level1

Postby neoxes » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:35 am

murgh wrote:Looks like you're trying to invent the wheel twice: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =540380855
There is already a mod doing this :D

I know that mod, I'm using it and I'm triyng to improve it!
With Brento's mod, you have to install a new object "PaintTool", this object search for a near moddable object, paint it and disappear. You can't choose the paint, you have to circle between the sprites, wasting money and time!
I don't like that way, it has too many complications with coding (find near objects, find if is paintable, etc...). So... I'm improving it! Objects will have a new property (you don't have to find them) and the color can be choosen by interface.
murgh
level2
level2

Postby murgh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:49 am

Yeah, that one can have a complete overhaul, it's too complicated to use as it is now. That's why I checked it out only once and then never bothered with it again due to it's unfriendly way of user interaction.
dsdude123
level2
level2

Postby dsdude123 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:55 pm

neoxes wrote:Thanks pal!
Anyway, I already made that code, the problem is that when you script that way a job the worker doesn't go to storage to the get "paint", just work on the object.
- User places a Door, that is a scriptable object. In Door.lua, Update funcion creates the Interface (various buttons associated with colors).
----- Create an object (not spawn, create), teleportable (or not) to the storage: Paint <------------ HOW CAN I DO THIS?
----- Worker go to storage and bring the Paint to the Door <------------ HOW CAN I DO THIS?
----- Now, your code fits in, Worker completes the Job and paint the door changing its sprite.

Something like flooring or walling, you know? If you create a new material, you can use "ObjectRequired Object" to do what i want to do. The same, but with a door.

Any idea?

To move the paint to storage, you will need a ProductionRule in production.txt, here is an example:

BEGIN ProductionRule       
    Rule                 Storage
    Material             PaintBucket
    Room                 Storage
    Distribution         Nearest 
END

You also may need to give the PaintBucket object the AutoOrder property, info on that property is available here: https://github.com/aubergine10/Prison-Architect-API/wiki/AutoOrder

Did you try using the line: Material PaintBucket?
neoxes
level1
level1

Postby neoxes » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:40 am

dsdude123 wrote:
neoxes wrote:Thanks pal!

Any idea?

To move the paint to storage, you will need a ProductionRule in production.txt, here is an example:

BEGIN ProductionRule       
    Rule                 Storage
    Material             PaintBucket
    Room                 Storage
    Distribution         Nearest 
END

You also may need to give the PaintBucket object the AutoOrder property, info on that property is available here: https://github.com/aubergine10/Prison-Architect-API/wiki/AutoOrder

Did you try using the line: Material PaintBucket?

I'll try this weekend, thanks for your help!
neoxes
level1
level1

Postby neoxes » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:57 am

Works! Thank you all!!!!!!

Just a question, Markers have to be defined for every sprite or just the first one?

Return to “Modding”