[Suggestion] Broken Gangs and Gangleaders

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ulix
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Broken Gangs and Gangleaders

Postby ulix » Sat May 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Somebody has probably already mentioned similar problems, but bear with me anyway...

So yeah, gangs. I have no problem with gangs making life difficult in my prison. But they pose several problems that can only be overcome with gamey methods, which break immersion and are quite annoying as well.
I have this one gang-leade in my prison, legendary dude with about 10 traits (super tough, extremely deadly, etc.), who has already killed maybe 20 guards in around 10 years. If I punish him (which happens automatically depending on my regime) the whole prison will riot in no time, because the security need goes through the roof. So this creates the first problem:

I always have to keep an eye on gang leaders (not easy in a large prison). And then, as soon as they get sockdown or solitary, I have to immediatly give them permanent lockdown or permanent solitary so I can then end their punishment right away. Annoying... but whatever, I could actually live with this shit.

First suggestion: I would prefer more security sectors. Give us a "Lockdown", "Super Duper Mega Max" sector, whatever and while you're at it I'd also like a "Quarantine" sector.
Also while you're at it, make it possible to only assign certain security ratings to certain areas, but more than one. So for example instead of keeping an area neutral I could deploy it so that only max and medium sec prisoners (but not super max and low sec) can enter...

The next problems then comes from prisoners not actually aging. The gang leader gets more years on top of his punishment everytime he kicks off, so now he is at around 250 years... which means I can never get rid of him, and since he doesn't age, and regularly does new shit which extends his punishment even longer.

Second suggestion: Prisoners should age. They don't have to visibly age, I don't care about that. But they should die of old age at some point...

Which brings me to the last problem I have with the current system. There could be another solution.

Third suggestion: Give us the possibility to upgrade naughty prisoners to death row. As I said the guy has killed around 20 guards in maybe 10 fights... and done a bunch of other shit. I'd love to just be done with him by executing him, which would also be realistic if you're playing with death row turned on.

P.S.
I know that I could just let the dude escape... but I prefer not to. This is also a gamey solution for a broken game-system, as would changing his status in the save file...
Also, because he is super tough, he won't be killed by armed guards...

Otherwise I really love your game. But as someone with hundreds of hours of playtime it's these little things I find really annoying.
Axios
level2
level2

Re: [Suggestion] Broken Gangs and Gangleaders

Postby Axios » Sun May 08, 2016 11:11 am

Use super max category and build a mini block with a cell with shower and tv, a solitary cell and a canteen.

Super max regime: sleep, eat, lockup.

Problem solved.

ulix
level1
level1

Postby ulix » Mon May 09, 2016 9:11 am

I'd rather use Super Max how it is intended to be used, so NOT only for gangleaders, but for other dangerous prisoners as well (Instigators especially, other legendary prisoners, but also Liutennants and other gang members so they don't recruit). Generally I put around 10% of my max sec prisoners into Super Max. Everyone with 3 or more traits, and those annoying Instigators.

Also, the guy could (and would) still kick off... would then be put into solitary or lockdown, which would then lead to riots If I don't realize it immediatly.

So no, doesn't solve my problem at all.
Axios
level2
level2

Postby Axios » Mon May 09, 2016 11:37 am

In my experience, after the first 2-3 days, no more punishments because the legendary inmate had no occasions to create problems.

Maybe was only luck. Or maybe armored guards contributed to keep all other inmates calm.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Sun May 22, 2016 4:30 pm

ulix wrote:I have this one gang-leade in my prison, legendary dude with about 10 traits (super tough, extremely deadly, etc.), who has already killed maybe 20 guards in around 10 years. If I punish him (which happens automatically depending on my regime) the whole prison will riot in no time, because the security need goes through the roof.

I've just experienced this problem, and it has pretty much broken the flow of my current game. This gang has 12 members in a prison with over 200 inmates. Anytime the legendary gang leader is punished, which happens almost constantly, the danger meter of the entire prison goes to the maximum. I understand that those 12 gang members are furious (which is identified as a specific contributor to the danger level), and others' safety need make spike, but I fail to see how an entire prison of 200+ inmates is that concerned with a gang leader and his gang.

Return to “Community Members”