Overheating on Mac?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

GeorgeClouting
level0

Overheating on Mac?

Postby GeorgeClouting » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Hey guys, I've been watching Prison Architect for ages now, but have only just gotten round to playing it. I'm playing on a mid 2015 macbook pro, and was just wondering if anyone else was having issues with their macbook overheating? It's not actually overheating, just causing the fan to go into overdrive. Still works completely fine but the noise is pretty annoying.

Any suggestions?
5B7f9A1XQioOmbpz
level1
level1

Re: Overheating on Mac?

Postby 5B7f9A1XQioOmbpz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:48 pm

GeorgeClouting wrote:Any suggestions?
I'd start with enabling VSync, which should be done on an OS/driver level, since PA has no option to enable or disable VSync. Secondly, try running as few other applications as possible while playing PA. PA is quite CPU hungry and having other applications use CPU time as well might simply mean your CPU is forced to clock higher more regularly, hence the fan revving up.

Lastly, it's a videogame, it's going to be stressing your hardware no matter what.
HamSamick
level0

Postby HamSamick » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:10 pm

A buddy of mine said he took it off his mac so a game didn't ruin his machine. I'm taking it off my PC. Something so simple shouldn't be eating resources the way it does.
5B7f9A1XQioOmbpz
level1
level1

Postby 5B7f9A1XQioOmbpz » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:15 pm

HamSamick wrote:A buddy of mine said he took it off his mac so a game didn't ruin his machine. I'm taking it off my PC. Something so simple shouldn't be eating resources the way it does.
I'm almost literally rolling on the floor right now.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:10 pm

What I find really funny about this is all the previous whinging that I've seen on the forums here complaining that Prison Architect doesn't use *enough* resources, and therefore runs poorly. You just can't please everyone...

xander
goodvibesman
level1
level1

Postby goodvibesman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:14 pm

HamSamick wrote:A buddy of mine said he took it off his mac so a game didn't ruin his machine. I'm taking it off my PC. Something so simple shouldn't be eating resources the way it does.

It's like you have absolutely no clue how many systems are running in Prison Architect's background. It's supposed to eat resources because path-finding and all the other systems require a lot of them. Graphically it might not be very impressive, but your CPU is most definitely working up a sweat.

Also, ever considered cleaning your Mac out? I don't know what Mac stock fans are like but they can't be so terrible that a CPU at full load could lead to overheating without some kind of blockage from dust/skin cells/hair etc. If I push my overclocked CPU to 100% load and keep it like that, it'll reach at most a temperature of 65c, which is miles away from danger.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 pm

goodvibesman wrote:I don't know what Mac stock fans are like but they can't be so terrible that a CPU at full load could lead to overheating without some kind of blockage from dust/skin cells/hair etc.

He is using a MacBook, which is a laptop. Laptops generally have pretty shitty airflow to begin with, and my experience is that Apple's designs are moderately worse than average in that regard. And the fans *are* loud, even new out of the box. That being said, if the CPU isn't being throttled due to overheating, the noise is the only real issue.

xander
goodvibesman
level1
level1

Postby goodvibesman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:43 pm

xander wrote:
goodvibesman wrote:I don't know what Mac stock fans are like but they can't be so terrible that a CPU at full load could lead to overheating without some kind of blockage from dust/skin cells/hair etc.

He is using a MacBook, which is a laptop. Laptops generally have pretty shitty airflow to begin with, and my experience is that Apple's designs are moderately worse than average in that regard. And the fans *are* loud, even new out of the box. That being said, if the CPU isn't being throttled due to overheating, the noise is the only real issue.

xander

I was aware it was a laptop Xander, just have never seen one of them up close so I'd have no clue what the innards/fans are like and how easily they'd clog. Sounds pretty bad from what I'm reading.

Return to “General”