[DEV TOOLS] I HAVE THEM!!!

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

JASPer.Gamer.9.0
level3
level3

[DEV TOOLS] I HAVE THEM!!!

Postby JASPer.Gamer.9.0 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:55 am

Here is the photo: (It also has a teaser for my upcoming Dark UI mod - see the ui icons?)

It has a sprite bank editor, but I can also add a dialog editor or event setter...
It works by adding the clock_small.txt dialog file to a mod, then change everything inside that file to everything inside a file like spritebankeditor.txt. In game, enable the mod, then enable the digital clock, and the editor of you choice will show up!
Unfortunately, the clock goes away + the editor does not actually contain any tools (for example, the dialog editor is just blank).

Cheers,
Jasper
aubergine18
level2
level2

Re: [DEV TOOLS] I HAVE THEM!!!

Postby aubergine18 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:01 am

I'm still not sure why IV don't give us access to more of these dev tools, it would save so much time when testing mods.
Observer
level0

Postby Observer » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:49 am

It's because once you give out those tools, you can't take them back (unless you re-write the code so the Dev tools no longer work, ha ha).

There's a very fine line between someone modifying the parameters of the game while still leaving the framework alone, and someone outright reverse-engineering your work just enough to avoid any legal issues (it's the responsibility of the creator to safeguard their own creative endeavors, y'see).
aubergine18
level2
level2

Postby aubergine18 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:07 am

I think Cities:Skylines proves that justification to be 100% inaccurate on all counts. In C:S there's no DRM and modders are able to decompile and reverse-engineer the entire app, and then share modified versions of any aspect of the app via the workshop. Furthermore, the team at CO and their publishers, Paradox, actively support that level of hacking of their app. In the upcoming TAM mod, which contains plagiarised networks, AIs and patfhinder, amongst other things, all written in C# that's then assembled when the mod is published, we've got staff from both CO and Paradox as beta testers. For almost every core game mechanic in C:S, there's a mod that replaces it or augments it, to the extent that the catch phrase "There's a mod for that" emerged before the game was released and still is in widespread use today. 50% of CO's dev resource (1 developer) was assigned to making the game as moddable as possible during the 2-year dev time (4 man years on the coding front) it took to create and release the game. There is literally no issue with doing such things, in any game, other than irrational and often delusional, counter-productive fears.

The only real change that would be required is to disable achievements in games where the dev tools are or have been active. And even that should be moddable, because in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.
EmilFr
level0

Postby EmilFr » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:17 pm

A while ago I ran PA through IDA Pro and had a look... it seems the dev tools are not even compiled in to the release versions of PA... there are functions that have names that imply debug tools but loads of them are nop stubs... thus do nothing.
There are still f.ex debug rendering functions and other such things in there, but I can't find an interface to access them from in-game. I tried using Frida.re, but it couldn't find the function names that IDA had no problem with, though, admittedly, I didn't try much.
If there is sufficient interest, I might post some of my findings here on the forum for people to do with as they wish (unless IV asks me not to)

Return to “Modding”